YMCA Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

5,358 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It is a non-profit so the advantages that you would have with a cooperation you do not have with a YMCA (in 229 reviews)

• I was only part-time for a few months (in 223 reviews)

1. "It started well and has slowly deteriorated."

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Austin, TX

Pros

You receive a free membership if you work there which can be utilized at any Y across the globe. There is a sense of community because the patrons are a so diverse. The diversity is possible because the Y has a financial aid program (POY) which makes it affordable to anyone--even homeless people have access! If you work over 1,000 hours even part time employees are eligible for retirement a percentage of which is matched.

Cons

The pay is below the city's living wage. For a number of years no raises were given, however new senior level jobs were created, and complete remodels, and new facilities were constructed. The POY campaign is integral to the Y, but asking part time employees to donate parts of their checks when they are struggling to pay rent--many don't have comprehensive insurance--it's a bit much to ask. The Y needs to do a better job of taking care of their part-time employees or approximately 95% of the staff!

Advice to Management

Hold all managers accountable for their department. If things are obviously not running smoothly talk to the employees as well. Often the part timers are doing as good a job as they are allowed, but their manager is so worried about micromanagement, that nothing get's done. The culture needs a complete shift.

2. "Should be a Great Place to Work - Members make it that way, Management NOT SO MUCH"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Menomonee Falls, WI

Pros

Interacting with all the wonderful members is the highlight. Being able to serve them is a pleasure and a priviledge! Working at the Y is fun when the time spent is with the members.

You do get a discounted or free membership depending upon your family status which is nice.

Pay is horrible with no raises or very, very small ones when they are given.

Big inequality with pay from hourly workers and management.

Cons

Horrible Communication from Management. Ineffective Management, provides horrible pay,and inquality in job promotions. Work/Family Balance is not acknowledged in scheduling. Training is thrown at you without much thought or preparation. Very unorganized, schedules constantly changing and then shift and schdule changes and demands are made upon hourly staff at a very short notice to not allow staff to adjust.

Computer system is horribly outdated. Our work that we perform could be greatly increased with a more updated and more reliable computer system, policies and procedures

Advice to Management

Look into management at this Y. Your worker bees are truly dedicated and a few management there area also, but the management staff there lacks training in customer service and providing real leadership . The pay that the member service representatives and Greeter/Scanners make is horrible while management who if they performed their jobs would be entitled to their salaries, however, it is ther entitlement mentality and lack of work ethic and leadership skills that in the end, make them over paid. They treat employees like they are numbers and not people. For an organization that is going through a "Branding" Change, apparently that also means they are not going to be embracing the qualities and standards the YMCA was founded upon. Maybe you may want to look into this?

3. "Disappointed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreline, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreline, WA

Pros

Free gym membership and admission to exercise classes.

Cons

Very negative work environment and the direction of my position has changed repeatedly and not offered a sense of job security and stability:

1. I was told that I would be working some weekends and evenings. I worked 3 evenings per week and was scheduled to work every Saturday.
    2. I was given a raise because I was taking on more responsibility then my position initially entailed. I was still paid my previous wage for six weeks until the raise was applied to my paycheck. No apologies or explanation was given.
    3. Leadership meetings were not run in a professional manner. Leadership threatened to fire a number of staff members because they were not greeting members at the front desk. Not only did this seem a little extreme for the situation, but also it was very upsetting and actually led to two employees resigning immediately. After the threat of such a sweeping elimination of the current staff was purposed, I felt my job security was in jeopardy and I began to explore other options.

Advice to Management

Leadership training

"The "core values" of the YMCA are an absolute joke in light of the animosity created by incompetent management."

Current Employee - Lifeguard in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in San Diego, CA

Pros

The schedule is flexible, making it a decent place for college students.

Co-workers of the exact same "rank" are cool.

Cons

Management:

is disconnected from the "grunts", progressively more so the higher management gets,

is incompetent and unimaginative

makes impractical decisions

is unresponsive to service requests

are poor communicators.

---

Because management is so incompetent, everyone gets irritated with them. Because everyone is irritated with them, people in management tend to become more agitated the longer they've been in their positions. This has created a vicious circle of animosity that has lead to literally EVERYONE in the aquatics department hating their jobs.

Advice to Management

There are so many common sense things to suggest that I don't even know where to start. Just hire competent people to direct the department. Be more connected to the regular employees. Maybe offer an anonymous comment box? Something has to change; because not only are poor decisions being made daily, but those in positions of power have an unspoken but very obvious closed door policy. I know this is true at my branch; but I've heard (only heard) that this is also the case at every other branch in the county, as well.

5. "very hostile"

Current Employee - Bus Manager in Asheboro, NC
    Current Employee - Bus Manager in Asheboro, NC

Pros

salary, vacation, sick leave, holidays

Cons

drama, abruptness, interfering with others doing their job,

Advice to Management

grow up and quit being so sensitive

6. "Poor leadership, low wages, no advancement opportunities"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

Great place to work with kids! ALways fun to see a ton of young ones running around, having a good time!

Cons

No leadership, no money, no minority representaion in senior staff

Advice to Management

get some diversity. Look within the city for leadership!

7. "Was extremely happy at first, but after management changed, favortism and cronyism took the place of all that was right"

Former Employee - Fitness Instructor in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Fitness Instructor in Chandler, AZ

Pros

The members are wonderful, appreciative people. It gives back to the community which is always a good thing. I loved working in an environment promoting health and wellness.

Cons

There is no consistency between the 18 branches of YMCA's in the Valley of the Sun. Rules are followed only when it served the interest of upper management. There is a disturbing level of incompetence and disregard within the leadership of several branches. Dedicated and competent employees often are treated badly, even if they are doing an excellent job and the members love them. At one branch in particular, that matters not. Several people were let go in an effort to cover the incompetence of the director.

Advice to Management

The Valley of the Sun needs to open its eyes to what is going on at each individual branch. Question the loss of good employees. Listen to members and staff when there are concerns, and fix the problem. Do not allow corruption and cover-ups to continue.

8. "Lost the Warm Fuzzies a LOOOONG time ago."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Incredibly rewarding work. My position was 100% driven by the mission of the YMCA and I loved every second of my own personal responsibilities. A beautiful facility located in a beautiful park-like setting.

Cons

The facility members act like it's a country club. There is no outreach to the community that truly needs the Y's help. Management, Exec and AE, have NO clue what they are doing whatsoever. It baffles the mind thinking about how they moved into their roles. Actually, their roles were literally handed over to them. There are no interviews and if you apply for an open position, you basically get the cold shoulder because it's been spoken for well in advance of the posting. Completely unethical. Non-profit status needs to be reviewed by someone because I am confident that the fundraising efforts are not in line with the so called non-profit status. This branch particularly is a FOR PROFIT. Check their records before the end of the year when they spend their obscene surplus. The staff are cliquey and act like junior high children. All of them. It's a battle of who can climb the ladder the fastest with their claws fully extended. No camaraderie whatsoever. All of this stems from the very top leadership though so nothing will ever change. Unfortunate because there are many in the MV community that would truly benefit from the potential of a fully functioning Y.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop the rumor and gossip-mill you yourselves are intensely apart of. Start a real outreach program. Stop letting go of incredibly intelligent and competent workers.

9. "Camp Counselor"

Former Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Shoreline, WA
    Former Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Shoreline, WA

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours and great staff members

Cons

Does not pay well for how many children you are watching, a lot of the children at the YMCA are misbehaved and hard to deal with, very unorganized most of the time

10. "Not a goof place to work"

Former Employee - SACC Councler in Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - SACC Councler in Huntington, NY

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the kids look up to you and adore you .

Cons

poor pay I also was treated horrible because i have a disability

Showing 5,358 of 5,568 reviews