YMCA Reviews | Glassdoor

4,702 Employee Reviews

"Love this"

Current Employee - Head Deck Manager in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Head Deck Manager in Edina, MN

I have been working at YMCA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best people. My supervisors are about investing in people. And they. Invest in and challenge me.
    Starting off full time. You get 4 1/2 weeks of pto.
    Rewarding job

Cons

Wages are low
    Short staffed much of the time
    Chlorine smell in indoor pool can be irritating to the lungs
    Working at a pool effects your skin and hair

Advice to Management

Keep caring about your people that is your best asset. Think about what a liveable wage looks like. Give your self a break and set an example of goo work life balance.

2. "YMCA"

Current Employee - Head Lifeguard in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Head Lifeguard in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Management and team spirit. Everybody that I know has enjoyed working there

Cons

unruly patrons and guests occasionally. Uneven flow of work, mainly due to weather conditions and crowd size.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on

"I worked for the YMCA for years and I truly enjoyed the people!"

Former Employee - Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the benefits as I was able to spend time with family

Cons

Didn't have the resources or the budget to accomplish needed task

Advice to Management

None

5. "Front desk Staff"

Current Employee - Front Desk Staff in Southington, CT
    Current Employee - Front Desk Staff in Southington, CT

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the diversity of employees and members. I love that I come in and my day is never the same as the last its always different. The Y cares about not only there members but the care about there employees. There all about moving up in the Y, when a hire up position opens up before they go to the public they try to find people from inside first.

Cons

I hate that its very hard to work more than 20 hrs.

6. "Great!"

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved working with the summer camps.

Cons

Long hours for minimum wage.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Great for high school and college kids"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Torrance, CA

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I think the YMCA was a great place to work if you are in high school/college. I spent 7 years working there, starting out as a front line staff, moving up into the office as an Office Assistant, and ending my career there as a Coordinator.

It was great for when I was in college (or if I had started in high school) because my department was very flexible with my school schedule, always willing to accommodate to my hectic school schedule and wanting to have somewhat of a social life. I got to pick and choose the hours I worked in 6 week chunks, and was able to add or take off time if I wasn't able to commit to the 6 week chunk we were scheduled in.
    It's great for those just starting off in the work place, as you don't need a whole lot of experience as a lifeguard/swim instructor.
    I liked that I was able to move up when I was ready and able to, and they still accommodated to my schooling. As I was nearing the end of my college career, a supervisor/coordinator position was made available for me, and I was able to take it and further myself at the YMCA.

Cons

Unfortunately, not everything was perfect. I was working as an Office Assistant 2 years before I was given an actual job description to sign, which means I was working as an "Office Assistant" as a "front line staff" payrate. Then, I was not given a pay increase when I had to bump my hours down and they hired in two brand new office assistants at a higher payrate with way less experience than myself to replace me. I had to fight my director to get the equal pay. I then worked 2 years as a coordinator under the "office assistant" title and was still not paid as a coordinator until I was given yet another job description to sign.

The YMCA is unfair in their pay. They pay all their staff so little and require so much out of us. They made us attend 8 meetings a years with 8 different trainings that our Director wasn't even trained in leading. Our training material was so outdated. They made the meetings mandatory, but if you missed one, or two, or all of them, you weren't always reprimanded for missing them. They don't treat all their staff equally, and there was clearly some favoritism, even if the Director disagreed.

Advice to Management

get your stuff together, start paying the staff better, and start treating them with respect. if you don't want such high turnover, why not start with treating all staff equally.

8. "After School Group Leader"

Former Employee - Group Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Group Leader in San Francisco, CA

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience working in diverse communities. YMCA Retirement Fund.

Cons

The YMCA is a cloistered organization with little to no training from outside vendors. Coach archetypes promoted to leadership positions. The organization rarely hires leadership from outside of the organization. Programming in schools is recreation and not focused academia. There is a high staff turnover. They use guilt as a means to retain employees.

Advice to Management

Hire leadership from outside of the organization. Reward employees who continue to sign up for seasonal work with year round positions. Be transparent about wages and compensation. Pay for employees to attend training and conferences from outside of the organization. Give group leaders planning hours. Make it easy for offsite, non-leadership staff to be reimbursed for materials.

"YMCA"

Current Employee - Group Instructor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Group Instructor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at YMCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive environment and a lot of room for growth and opportunity

Cons

I don't currently have any cons for this company

"Program Director"

Former Employee - YMCA Program Director in South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - YMCA Program Director in South Florida, FL

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

fun coworkers, relationships with ymca members

Cons

pay less than industry standard, full time means you are a slave, expect to work long days (10-12 hours) and most weekends, too many responsibilities for one person to handle, senior management not involved and don't care about full-time and part-time staff , heavy politics and only expect to move up if someone senior likes you, the y preaches about family values but does not care that staff cannot have the same benefits as members

Advice to Management

take better care of part-time and full-time staff, be more involved in the day-to-day operations and set realistic goals for staff.

11. "Poor Executive Leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Newark, NJ

I worked at YMCA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work with people in community

Cons

poor leadership, no direction, no vision. Company uses layoffs and fur-lows to balance budget, annually. no security

Showing 4,702 of 4,869 reviews