YMCA Site Director Reviews | Glassdoor

YMCA CEO Kevin Washington
Kevin Washington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Very Tired Site Director"

Current Employee - Site Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Site Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at YMCA (More than a year)

Pros

Working with kids is great, and the benefits package is good. There’s an option to pay into your retirement savings available if you have worked for the Y at least two years. Split shifts are the norm, so there’s usually time in the middle of the day for errands. You have he option to work longer and short days as you see fit.

Cons

The shifts are split shifts. This is also a con because it can be easier to work a shift straight through. On full days out, there are no paid lunch breaks or 10 minute breaks. This position requires you to drive a pretty crazy amount- I have to fill my car (a 30-gallon tank) at least 2 times per month. Getting raises is extremely difficult, and the pay is pretty low. Not all site directors are able to schedule as they see fit. Not all staff are competent, and turnover rate is pretty high. Sites are regularly understaffed. If you have a small site, the chances of you getting to have all your staff on at one time is really low. It’s not easy to get authorized for overtime and you can get written up for having it, but there aren’t enough staff, so it’s pretty easy to end up with it anyway.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff!

2. "The work was easy and mostly fun. The politics at the Y were horrible."

Former Employee - Site Director in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Site Director in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at YMCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's fun to come up with activities. Working with the kids is great. Hours are great if you want part time.

Cons

The parents think they're allowed to walk all over you. The supervisor and department heads are as shady as can be.

Advice to Management

Don't backstab you're employees. Listen to us if we say there is a problem.

3. "Would not recommend to work or have your children"

Former Employee - Site Director in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Site Director in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at YMCA (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the after-school program for a year and a half. The parents and children overall are amazing and very kind. You also get to work out for free.

Cons

You have to kiss up to even be considered for a promotion. The people who are promoted are NOT qualified. You can work, work, work and prove your worth and it'll still NOT be good enough. Supervisors are very unorganized and they'll find something wrong with someone (esp if you do not kiss up) and they'll try everything in their power to fire them or make them quit. Some coworkers of mine I would never allow children to be around. So much sex talk and very inappropriate. Also you are not paid enough for the work they demand you to do.

Advice to Management

Make sure the people you hire are qualified and are people persons. You should not promote someone based on favoritism. You'll never keep workers long enough if you do the previous mentioned and not raise the pay. Whatever system you have---throw it out and create a new one.

4. "This job is so replaced."

Former Employee - Site Director in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Site Director in Detroit, MI

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with youth's you hardly get board.

Cons

Very poor Management and way to many turn over's with new employee.

Advice to Management

Stop being so personal about employees and rate them according to there work performance.

5. "I have been very happy with the YMCA to this point."

Current Employee - School Site Director in Cottleville, MO
    Current Employee - School Site Director in Cottleville, MO

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment. Set hours each week. Management is helpful most of the time. Tuition reimbursement and incentive program. Lots of training each year.

Cons

Not compensated very well. High turnover rate with staff. Overall been a good company to work for an entry level job.

6. "School Age Site Director"

Current Employee - School Age Site Director in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - School Age Site Director in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The children are the best part of the job.

Cons

The upper management is not good at Greenbrier North YMCA, they make promises they cannot keep and do not act in a professional manner.

Advice to Management

Take your employees side more often.

"Site Director"

Former Employee - Site Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Site Director in Austin, TX

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience, very rewarding and fun, free gym membership

Cons

non-competitive pay, consistent turnover with staff, required work outside of regular hours but had a limit to hours we could clock.

Advice to Management

I believe in the mission of the YMCA and overall programs are executed well. Competitive pay would go a long way in retaining good staff.

8. "SAAC Site Director"

Current Employee - Site Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Site Director in New York, NY

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great way to obtain experience by intern or externship, the earnings are fit for qualifying for state or government income based programs...which can be a come up for you (personally).

Cons

Highly demanding job on site and off site. Expectations out weigh hourly pay. No benefits other than the company contribute to your 401k. No pay for the great amount of time (school closings, half days, winter recess...unless you work the camp which is at a totally different location across town for most). Believe me, you are not paid Director pay. Its just a title. You can not use your total creativity with the kids. YMCA does not support the use of technology or movie showings during their program. Some programs have 3yr olds at the elementary level...be prepared to change pull-ups!

Advice to Management

Provide on-site tour upon hire so that employee can have a visual of work location. Most monthly meeting can be done via virtual conference and such.

9. "Mid-County YMCA - Childcare Worker"

Former Employee - Y-Club Site Director, Camp Counselor in Brentwood, MO
    Former Employee - Y-Club Site Director, Camp Counselor in Brentwood, MO

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Suportive management
    Employee empowerment to solve issues

Cons

Little to none career advancement opportunties

10. "Not so much"

Current Employee - AFTERSCHOOL SITE DIRECTOR in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - AFTERSCHOOL SITE DIRECTOR in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at YMCA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment. They try to create a family atmosphere. You can express your belief freely

Cons

Not very consistent in procedures at the Metro/ Corporate level. Cover yourself. Keep notes document. CC people one level above your direct supervisor. Follow up on everything.

Advice to Management

Have procedures in place in the event of termination, in the event of theft, in the event of inappropriate staff behavior. Have a moral conduct code.