YP Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
YP Chief Executive Officer Jared Rowe
Jared Rowe

Pros
  • PTO time is great, work/life balance is great (in 71 reviews)

• supportive managers that help you achieve your goals, cares about customers, good benefits, cutting edge (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • New sales reps are not set up to succeed here (in 52 reviews)

• Upper-management trys to be efficient but it turns out to be micromanaging in most cases (in 49 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Creative environment where you are encouraged to be who you are. Work/Life Balance. Fun environment. Great company culture.

Cons

too many silos...but improvements are being made to break them down

Advice to Management

Improve interdepartmental communication.

"Run dont walk away from the dumpster fire of corporation"

Former Employee - Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros free snacks and coffee.

Cons

Disorganized upper management, too many pie in the sky ideas, horrible products no one uses, too many product managers for just one project. They talk a great game but deliver nothing.

Advice to Management

Advise get rid of upper management, make products people want (heck people there use YELP over the YP app, so what does that tell you about their product). Also about culture of the company, it does not have any. The guy in charge of that left for green pastures when he saw the writing on wall. This company is still stuck in the old A&TT mode trying to make its self as a start up, with unfortunately it still works under the tyranny of dead ideas.

Mar 16, 2017 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hi! Thank you for your thought out review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the free snacks and coffee but greatly wish there was more you would've liked here as we feel there is a lot offered ... More

"The ship is sinking"

I worked at YP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, chill atmosphere

Cons

terrible management though many removed in 2016 and good there is a new CEO, not sure it can be saved.

Feb 14, 2017 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hi! Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you feel that way but I am happy you were able to find a good work/life balance in a chill atmosphere. We do strive to make this the best ... More

"Sr Software Engineer"

I worked at YP full-time

Pros

Yon name any technology, and you'll find some project in that area.

Cons

There are good tech resources, but management has to do much better in growing the business.

Advice to Management

Need to stay more organized in deciding priorities.

"Tumultuous, chaotic, frantic, fun, failing"

Current Employee - Technology Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Technology Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is so much opportunity with a company this size, this established. If you thrive in difficult situations, this can be the place for you.

Cons

All of the products are so far behind, it's embarrassing. Sales needs to push too hard to sell sub-par products.

Advice to Management

Move faster, move smarter. Stop outsourcing. Trim the fat--use a scalpel.

Feb 7, 2017 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write your review. We have made great strides in bringing YP to the forefront of digital advertising and marketing and we do feel that the products we ... More

7. "quality assurance"

Current Employee - Data Analyst, National Operations Performance Management in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at YP (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, Training, Paid Time Off, Benefits, Free Snacks, Arcade Machines, paid parking

Cons

No tuition reimbursement, small bonus, lack of training in right areas, worrking from home not really encouraged.

"Great job-not so great upper management"

I worked at YP full-time

Pros

Amazing place to work at. Relaxed environment . Opportunity for growth. great pay

Cons

Conniving, manipulative unscrupulpus management all the way down to the leads. Except for the team lead of formerlyknoem

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like they are insignificant pawns in your life size chess game.

Dec 28, 2016 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we appreciate all your thoughts, both the pros and the cons. I'm definitely sorry and concerned to read your cons and want to assure ... More

"great people, decent pay, but limited opportunity"

Former Employee - Senior Fulfillment Specialist in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Fulfillment Specialist in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

both my immediate management team and my co-workers were great to work with.

Cons

there isn't a lot of room for advancement and the technology is stale

Advice to Management

as much as I enjoyed working here there is no room for advancement for people on the creative side of the advertising business. the platforms being used to create the landing pages is stale and really limits what can be done with a landing page. now that a lot of creative work is being outsourced of India, the quality of the landing pages is getting even worse and no one in upper management seems to be bothered. we get a lot of complaints/cancellations because the landing pages are not as robust as the competitors. take the time to listen to the creative team and work on creating products that are actually competitive in the marketplace instead of outsourcing outdated products that customers are clearly not happy with.

Oct 4, 2016 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hi! Thanks for the review. I am very happy to hear that your management and co-workers were great to work with. We have definitely worked on making our products better on both the creative side ... More

10. "YP Experience"

Current Contractor - Data Specialist Supervisor in Glendale, CA
    Current Contractor - Data Specialist Supervisor in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- Great working environment that encourages personal growth and provides necessary training to excel in various projects.
    - Management and team members are personable and helpful.

Cons

- Contractors receive less benefits than permanent YP employees.

"YP - Not Good"

Former Employee - Lead QA Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Lead QA Engineer in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Although I would not recommend anyone to YP, there are a few things that I would give proper recognition to.

KITCHEN:
    They have a decent kitchen filling up with snacks a few times a day, a few arcades (which seem to not work or be off most of the time), foosball, coffee maker, toaster, 2 ping pong tables and an electronic vending store which you can purchase food from. That is pretty much the extent of the positives with YP.

HEALTH BENEFITS:
    You get all the usual benefits including medical, dental, vision and 401k. Unfortunately there is no tuition reimbursement or stock purchase plans (since the company is private). There are really no other benefits.

MOBILE DEVICE:
    Depending on which team you work, you may get a cellular phone that the company pays for. This perk is usually only given to folks in the technology department.

COMPENSATION:
    The compensation can be good depending on if you have any negotiation skills. YP pays very competitively and I respect them for that.

Cons

CULTURE:
    Where do I begin.. The culture is very cut-throat and can be brutal. Challenge is a great thing in life and "some" stress can be beneficial but what I am talking about here is totally different. The work load, timelines and goals management gives you can be INCREDIBLY stressful. Management sets deadlines which are near impossible and expect near perfect results. Of course, this is often the case with companies that are not doing well. Due to negative earnings and results, everyone is in a mad scramble and upper management will push their employees beyond their limits. Work life balance is completely lacking. There were many weeks that I would put in 60+ hours and still no recognition or respect from management. It is almost like it is "expected" for you to work long hours. That is the "norm." The culture is not the friendliest at YP. Do not expect to get positive vibes when asking questions to management and co-workers. The mentality is "Don't you already know that???" After several weeks, you will realize that asking is not the right way to go. Best option is to google what you need to know.

MANAGEMENT:
    I have seen very few good managers at YP. The ones that I have met and worked for were disgraceful. My manager would reward people not based on hard work, working long hours, getting the job done and exceeding expectations but rather based on the employees knowledge base. There was a lot of favoritism and unfair treatment between team members. If one team member had knowledge of Java and the other team member knew HTML, he would automatically compare the two and see which person is more valuable and then give full benefits/perks to the person he chose. There were brand new hires (contractors) who got the "work from home everyday" perk just because they had "some" skill the manager admired. It was almost insulting for the other employees (especially the seniors who have been there for years).

Advice to Management

I have been with YP for 6 years and I would not recommend the work environment to anyone. Most managers are horrible, work-life balance stinks and the "high performance" culture they are trying to cultivate is being abused. Highly NOT recommended!

Showing 186 of 1,372 reviews