YP Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
YP Chief Executive Officer Jared Rowe
Jared Rowe

1,382 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • PTO time is great, work/life balance is great (in 80 reviews)

• supportive managers that help you achieve your goals, cares about customers, good benefits, cutting edge (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficulty finding time to sell because of all the office work on the sales reps plates (in 54 reviews)

• Upper-management trys to be efficient but it turns out to be micromanaging in most cases (in 53 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Change in Our Industry is inevitable"

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Reno, NV

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are two things I know for sure:
    1.You can't change the direction of the wind, but you must adjust your sails to reach your destination.
    2. It's not the strongest of species that survive, nor the most intelligent. It is the one that is most adaptable to change that survives.

I have been with this company through many phases for the last 17 years. Prior to that I was self employed for 16 years. At fist I have to admit I felt guilty for all the opportunity and pay that was available for those willing to roll up their sleeves and work. Being self employed for years that is all you get to do and you can't turn it off and go home when the bell rings at 6.
     Yes we have had challenges moving from a print centric model to a digital and print but we are doing it and now with more direction than in the past. Many companies trying the same have not done near as well. We have world class products that deliver a solid cost per lead that help SMB's grow their businesses.
    I have had friends and colleagues leave YP in search of greener pastures only after 6 months reach out and want to come back. It is a great place to work, if you want to work!
    Just remember the grass may be greener on the other side , however, it is not any easier to mow.
    We have an exciting future and great leadership team in place to lead us where we need to go.
     We own the best print products and online yellow pages hands down - so bundling those with our other offerings makes it exciting to get in front of clients and share the opportunities to grow their businesses!
    Thank You YP!

Cons

Honestly? Compared to the challenges you will face in the digital arena if that is where you are choosing to work, there are none.

Advice to Management

We are moving in the right direction! Thanks for your continued support.

2. "The Opportunity is Real"

Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Solutions YP offers their clients continues to become more sophisticated. Very flexible position when you're executing your responsibilities. Electric, motivated, and highly competitive team atmosphere. Compensation Plan is very generous.

Cons

This is not entry level. If you intend on maximizing this opportunity, I strongly suggest having a fluent understanding of your sales B2B sales process.

3. "DSE-digital sales executive"

Current Employee - Dse in Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Dse in Tucker, GA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll make great $ if you do the work! Goals are reasonable and achievable! The solutions we sell are awesome for businesses. For most of the sales rep you get to work from your home office while out seeing clients! Constantly innovating. Completely transparent with client results.

Cons

The only con I would say is sometimes it can be slightly difficult to navigate through some of our internal
    Departments for help.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating, motivating, and paying your employees and we will keep producing!

"Can Focus Turn YP Around"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Jared Rowe has brought something this company has not had for 5 years. Focus.
    The company's core products had been allowed to crumble and fail in a chase for (what, no one can really answer) and Jared has returned focus on the items that will make or break YP, connecting local businesses with the right consumers from America's largest, ready to buy audience. That means making our properties relevant in today's world. For too long, we lacked any specific focus.

You've got a dedicated and professional work force, particularly a large, committed Sales team, and the company is about as lean as it can get.

Cons

A lot of cutting of personnel, danger of going to deep
    Resistance to the vision, particularly from certain factions of the company.
    Financial issues associated with larger forces in play in the printed directory world.

Advice to Management

I don't think it's too late to turn The Real Yellow Pages around, but be honest with the employees about what is happening. People who have stuck this out deserve that.

5. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Great work environment. Best sells training. Great tools to assist in the sales journey. You can make $100,000 if you work for it. Like foreal.

Cons

Just like everywhere else, you got different people and personality types in leadership and on the phones next to you that might be hard to deal with. Get over it and get money.

You also cant be lazy, your going to have to sell. Its not much of a con to me, but if you are looking to just chill and make a few calls and float this isnt the place for you.

Advice to Management

Just because you sell does not pre qualify you as an adequate leader.

"Premise Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Media Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Media Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at YP (More than 10 years)

Pros

CEO has a good vision for company

Cons

Support is severely lacking & product effectiveness is sometimes extremely low

Advice to Management

Get better people on first and second line management, beef up sales support in both human & technology sides

"Some good, some bad."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, and a generally supportive environment for developers. Lots of push for change in the organization, which holds some promise.

Cons

No real tech innovation - just a lot of "me too" products and plumbing to external vendors. The push for change has not necessarily left the best and the brightest behind.

Advice to Management

Once the dust settles, it will be interesting to see where the company goes next.

YP Response

May 22, 2017 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to right your honest review. I'm equal parts happy and sad to read it. I am happy that you felt the people and environment were good for you but sad to read ... More

"Not a career"

Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Elizabeth, NJ
    Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Elizabeth, NJ

I worked at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

money, work from home, cool coworkers

Cons

lazy management, low performing products, customer disputes

"Was great. They stopped valuing their people."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Good work life balance
    Good people at the local level

Cons

Pay and benefits has gone way down over the past few years.
    Products have become less and less effective
    Quotas have become more and more unattainable.

Advice to Management

Pay your people

"Run dont walk"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at YP (More than 8 years)

Pros

Run, get out as fast as you can!!!

Cons

Run, for the love of all that is HOLY!!!

Advice to Management

Retire. You have hurt the company enough already...

Showing 1,382 of 1,424 reviews