YP Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
YP Chief Executive Officer Jared Rowe
Jared Rowe

1,317 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • PTO time is great, work/life balance is great (in 70 reviews)

• supportive managers that help you achieve your goals, cares about customers, good benefits, cutting edge (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • New sales reps are not set up to succeed here (in 51 reviews)

• Would like to see more diversity in upper management (in 47 reviews)

"Digital Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Shrewsbury, MA
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Shrewsbury, MA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Consult with and sell digital advertising solutions to local and regional businesses to help them achieve their desired business outcomes and thrive.
    • Key digital solutions include SEM, mobile display, YP.com, local search, behavioral targeting, targeted customer acquisition (direct mail) and web & social presence offerings, among others
    • Serve as an industry expert to educate decision makers and build rapport by keeping up with the latest trends to break down barriers and close sales
    • Knowledgeable and enthusiastic go-getter who offers a multi-media investment that turns a customer's business plan into a success story
    • Multi-media expert using knowledge to help local businesses grow their bottom line
    • Google certified

Cons

Many company changes - looking to leave company

Advice to Management

• 10+ years outside sales experience surpassing target sales objectives in designated key accounts.
    • Strong knowledge of social media such as Facebook and Twitter
    • Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, very high activity sales role
    • Consistently attain or exceed quotas. Goal oriented. Able to carry out objectives.
    • Highly effective communication skills, both written and oral.
    • Develop presentations, and other written sales and marketing tools.
    • Train sales organizations and present company and product overviews to prospects and clients.
    • Independent and entrepreneurial in spirit.
    • Skilled at initiating, managing and growing long-term and mutually profitable business relationships.
    • Extensive knowledge of Sales Force

"Changing for the better"

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The culture has been slowly but steadily improving as the company defines its focus. The people at YP are fantastic to work with. Remote options are available for most positions. Frequent opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Large-scale bureaucracies mean change is slow, and employees can feel like small cogs in a very big wheel. Sales-driven culture creates friction with non-sales groups.

Advice to Management

Simplify this company. Scale doesn't necessitate complexity.

3. "This Career Is What You Make of iT"

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The income potential. I'm not really sure about In-Region, but in the digital region reps can make $250,000 +. Each office is different, but most of the top reps have a fair amount of autonomy. YP will match your 401k up to 5%, which is great. For me, I love the people I work with. They pay is great and I am afforded all of the flexibility and autonomy that anyone can ask for. If you work hard and are talented you will learn to love YP.

Cons

There is no consistency with leadership or policies. I've been here almost 6 years as a sales rep and There's a new SVP, CEO, CRO and everything in between every year. You somewhat don't have control of your pay meaning this - you can sell a huge monthly SEM account which is what you are paid to do as a sales rep, but then let's say the back end search team does something detrimental to the campaign and the client cancels. That loss will count against your book of business whether it was your fault or not.
    New sales reps are not set up to succeed here. The training doesn't prepare you for the real world and only the strong will survive. As I stated in the pro's section you will learn to love and appreciate YP, but the con to that is does YP care about you as much as you care about YP?

Advice to Management

YP could be so much better than it is. For example, the sales rep churn is very high and a lot of that is because reps are not set up to succeed. I excel at this job because I don't sell - I build, manage and consult. Most reps don't even know what that means and that's sad because there is a lot of potential here. My other piece of advice is to not undervalue or under appreciate your reps, especially your top reps. YP will or used to recently spend hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions training new reps in Glendale; all for a 75%-80% attrition rate, yet it's hard to get upper management to listen to ideas from their top reps. The thing I don't understand is who is going to know more about this business from a boots on the ground real world perspective than a top level rep? I get the run around when I try to fundamentally institute ideas and practices that have worked for me to coworkers. That's managements prerogative I guess and that's OK. I'm going to make my money and provide for my clients anyway - I just think it would be much more fun to have 500 reps make 250k + instead of a very select few, but what do I know? I'm just the hired help.

5. "Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learning New Technologies . Good benefits , Flexible work hours .

Cons

Challenging expectations , still in start up mode.

Advice to Management

Realistic expectations . Better vision without frequent pivots

6. "Field Service Management"

Current Employee - Field Service Management in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Field Service Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Employee Driven company, especially for sales department
    - Friendly yet professional
    - Constantly changing and growing; adaptation to the market need

Cons

- Hierarchical Management System

7. "Media Consultant"

Current Employee - Digital Media Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Digital Media Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a Media Consultant you own your own business. What you put in is what you get out. I have been here 3.5 years and income wise it has been the best in my career. "Selling is the easiest job in the world if you work it hard, but the hardest job in the world if you try to work it easy/" YP gives you the tools to succeed you need to make sure you use the right ones with the right customers.

Cons

Yes there is Senior level management change and yes some have been let go. Where in business today does this not happen?

Advice to Management

Keep the product improvements coming.

"Many Challenges"

Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people who are passionate about what they do. Trying to fix lots of existing problems. Major potential. I don't know if it's for me . Too many problems.

Cons

Scattered & lost local leadership is the best I can describe. So it's really the adage the fish rots from the head down. They hire great talent but are stuck in the late 90's and early 2000's with sales model. So rather than having a program that nurtures the talent on strengths & weaknesses they just fire people. That's old school. Sometimes the players need to be playing in different roles. Sometimes companies hire the right person but for wrong position.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your talent locally and rather than firing and having such terrible turnover explore where this person might fit and be an asset to your team. This might work on the back end too- the attrition is horrible . Managers don't even care about existing clients - they say let em cancel - just go sell new. Value your existing clients and look for reps who can grow this existing business . This could be a start . Let's care about our customers.

"Working for YP"

Current Employee - Search Analyst in Moraine, OH
    Current Employee - Search Analyst in Moraine, OH

I have been working at YP full-time

Pros

Autonomy and the ability to make decisions on my own regarding campaigns are excellent benefits of the job. I like the new CEO, he speaks my language - excited about the direction we are headed, hope it pans out as intended. Top leadership at our local level is excellent as well. PTO time is great, work/life balance is great.

Cons

We have a lot of potential within our building, and we are headed the right direction now but we have some draggers as well. Key players are constantly picking up slack for under performers and getting worn out doing so. Also, being at corporate's mercy is sometimes nerve wracking.

Advice to Management

Invest in your best people. Make training a priority and keep working to break down silos between departments. Continue keeping the team updated on corporate's vision.

YP Response

Feb 14, 2017 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hi! Thank you for your review! I agree that the new direction under the new CEO is something to applaud. I am concerned about your comment about draggers and being held at corporate's mercy ... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitestone, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitestone, NY

I worked at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management team (Mike, Vijay and Ranjeeta) goes out of their way to help. There is no ego and with a total "open door" policy. I appreciate the constructive feedback and them always pushing me to be better.

Cons

I felt as if Sales were at the bottom of the totem pole and Senior Leadership barked policy changes without any input or know how and when things went bad, no one took responsibility.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your Salesforce. Our opinion matters. We live this EVERY day.

"Dying Market - With Dying Ideas"

Former Employee - Senior Sales
    Former Employee - Senior Sales

I worked at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a job * You Get Paid * Decent Benefits * Big Company with a lot of money

Cons

The products don't work * The pay sucks * Blind Leading the Blind

Advice to Management

Work on making the products successful first

Showing 1,317 of 1,356 reviews