YP Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
YP Chief Executive Officer Jared Rowe
Jared Rowe

1,310 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • PTO time is great, work/life balance is great (in 70 reviews)

• supportive managers that help you achieve your goals, cares about customers, good benefits, cutting edge (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • The sales reps never seem to be Motivated which i think affected the whole sales floor (in 49 reviews)

• YP is known more for relationship selling than innovation or customer service (in 46 reviews)

1. "Changing for the better"

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The culture has been slowly but steadily improving as the company defines its focus. The people at YP are fantastic to work with. Remote options are available for most positions. Frequent opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Large-scale bureaucracies mean change is slow, and employees can feel like small cogs in a very big wheel. Sales-driven culture creates friction with non-sales groups.

Advice to Management

Simplify this company. Scale doesn't necessitate complexity.

2. "Media Consultant"

Current Employee - Digital Media Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Digital Media Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a Media Consultant you own your own business. What you put in is what you get out. I have been here 3.5 years and income wise it has been the best in my career. "Selling is the easiest job in the world if you work it hard, but the hardest job in the world if you try to work it easy/" YP gives you the tools to succeed you need to make sure you use the right ones with the right customers.

Cons

Yes there is Senior level management change and yes some have been let go. Where in business today does this not happen?

Advice to Management

Keep the product improvements coming.

"Many Challenges"

Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people who are passionate about what they do. Trying to fix lots of existing problems. Major potential. I don't know if it's for me . Too many problems.

Cons

Scattered & lost local leadership is the best I can describe. So it's really the adage the fish rots from the head down. They hire great talent but are stuck in the late 90's and early 2000's with sales model. So rather than having a program that nurtures the talent on strengths & weaknesses they just fire people. That's old school. Sometimes the players need to be playing in different roles. Sometimes companies hire the right person but for wrong position.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your talent locally and rather than firing and having such terrible turnover explore where this person might fit and be an asset to your team. This might work on the back end too- the attrition is horrible . Managers don't even care about existing clients - they say let em cancel - just go sell new. Value your existing clients and look for reps who can grow this existing business . This could be a start . Let's care about our customers.

5. "Working for YP"

Current Employee - Search Analyst in Moraine, OH
    Current Employee - Search Analyst in Moraine, OH

I have been working at YP full-time

Pros

Autonomy and the ability to make decisions on my own regarding campaigns are excellent benefits of the job. I like the new CEO, he speaks my language - excited about the direction we are headed, hope it pans out as intended. Top leadership at our local level is excellent as well. PTO time is great, work/life balance is great.

Cons

We have a lot of potential within our building, and we are headed the right direction now but we have some draggers as well. Key players are constantly picking up slack for under performers and getting worn out doing so. Also, being at corporate's mercy is sometimes nerve wracking.

Advice to Management

Invest in your best people. Make training a priority and keep working to break down silos between departments. Continue keeping the team updated on corporate's vision.

YP Response

Feb 14, 2017 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hi! Thank you for your review! I agree that the new direction under the new CEO is something to applaud. I am concerned about your comment about draggers and being held at corporate's mercy ... More

6. "Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitestone, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitestone, NY

I worked at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management team (Mike, Vijay and Ranjeeta) goes out of their way to help. There is no ego and with a total "open door" policy. I appreciate the constructive feedback and them always pushing me to be better.

Cons

I felt as if Sales were at the bottom of the totem pole and Senior Leadership barked policy changes without any input or know how and when things went bad, no one took responsibility.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your Salesforce. Our opinion matters. We live this EVERY day.

7. "Good starting job out of college"

I have been working at YP full-time

Pros

YP was really good to me at my time there in the ever evolving digital marketing atmosphere. Crazy commission potential, great co workers.

Cons

Micro Management (but it is kind of necessary )
    The fact that people who build your products are far away from you (like Georgia)
    No accountability

"Hard work but worth it"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Melville, NY

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cons

Often confused with Yelp and they arent even close to what we do and all of our capabilities as a company.

"Challenging Yet Rewarding"

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in New York, NY
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in New York, NY

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

YP offers good salary plus commissions, great benefits, supportive sales leadership, & extensive training/at your own pace. YP is one of the largest marketing and advertising companies in the United States with one mission to help grow communities through small medium size businesses.

Cons

Confusion with consumers/business owners of who we are. Once sales is in front of the prospective client, we can educated them to understand the great benefit and value that YP has a company.

"Sr Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP full-time

Pros

Yon name any technology, and you'll find some project in that area.

Cons

There are good tech resources, but management has to do much better in growing the business.

Advice to Management

Need to stay more organized in deciding priorities.

"Slowly-sinking ship... stagnant digital media company"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Digital product line continues to improve to be competitive. Company has new leadership that is focused on customer experience/value delivered. Opportunity exists to make a mark here.

Cons

Shrinking org size (year after year) causes a bit of a talent drain and continual turnover. Many new leaders have similar ideas of previous leaders...but some legacy systems or lack of focus or resources impact the change that is required. Most products tend to be 'slow follower' products. YP is known more for relationship selling than innovation or customer service.

Advice to Management

Continual layoffs (that are usually whispered vs. announced company-wide) are morale-killing. It's tough to see some of the best people laid off while lesser talent/production stays on. On positive note, continue to focus on the customer and product quality...this didn't seem to get enough attention with the previous regime.

Showing 1,310 of 1,349 reviews