YP Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
YP Chief Executive Officer Jared Rowe
Jared Rowe

1,365 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • PTO time is great, work/life balance is great (in 78 reviews)

• supportive managers that help you achieve your goals, cares about customers, good benefits, cutting edge (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficulty finding time to sell because of all the office work on the sales reps plates (in 54 reviews)

• Upper-management trys to be efficient but it turns out to be micromanaging in most cases (in 53 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Change in Our Industry is inevitable"

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Reno, NV

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are two things I know for sure:
    1.You can't change the direction of the wind, but you must adjust your sails to reach your destination.
    2. It's not the strongest of species that survive, nor the most intelligent. It is the one that is most adaptable to change that survives.

I have been with this company through many phases for the last 17 years. Prior to that I was self employed for 16 years. At fist I have to admit I felt guilty for all the opportunity and pay that was available for those willing to roll up their sleeves and work. Being self employed for years that is all you get to do and you can't turn it off and go home when the bell rings at 6.
     Yes we have had challenges moving from a print centric model to a digital and print but we are doing it and now with more direction than in the past. Many companies trying the same have not done near as well. We have world class products that deliver a solid cost per lead that help SMB's grow their businesses.
    I have had friends and colleagues leave YP in search of greener pastures only after 6 months reach out and want to come back. It is a great place to work, if you want to work!
    Just remember the grass may be greener on the other side , however, it is not any easier to mow.
    We have an exciting future and great leadership team in place to lead us where we need to go.
     We own the best print products and online yellow pages hands down - so bundling those with our other offerings makes it exciting to get in front of clients and share the opportunities to grow their businesses!
    Thank You YP!

Cons

Honestly? Compared to the challenges you will face in the digital arena if that is where you are choosing to work, there are none.

Advice to Management

We are moving in the right direction! Thanks for your continued support.

"Not a career"

Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Elizabeth, NJ
    Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Elizabeth, NJ

I worked at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

money, work from home, cool coworkers

Cons

lazy management, low performing products, customer disputes

"Some good, some bad."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, and a generally supportive environment for developers. Lots of push for change in the organization, which holds some promise.

Cons

No real tech innovation - just a lot of "me too" products and plumbing to external vendors. The push for change has not necessarily left the best and the brightest behind.

Advice to Management

Once the dust settles, it will be interesting to see where the company goes next.

May 22, 2017 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to right your honest review. I'm equal parts happy and sad to read it. I am happy that you felt the people and environment were good for you but sad to read ... More

"High Turnover"

Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Detroit, MI

I worked at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Established Company
    Large Market Share
    Strong Tech Development Team

Cons

Recycled Lead Lists for Sales
    Heavy Use of Cold Calling
    Outdated Management Styles

May 22, 2017 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hi! Thanks for your review and your time here. I'm sorry to hear about the cons you list and I will get in touch with the Detroit reps to see what can be done as we take every pro and con ... More

6. "Great SEM Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucker, GA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is great. The new CEO is moving this company in the right direction and there's room to grow. Pay is competitive to other companies and the job itself is rewarding.

Cons

Some of the upper management seems to be afraid of having competent individuals move up in order to protect their positions to at times it feels that you are stuck where you are once you hit a certain level but even that is not a hard 'con' so to speak.

Advice to Management

Focus on career development for your employees a bit more, but again, the new CEO and management is working hard on it so, keep doing what you are doing.

"Premise Account Executive"

Current Employee - Premise Account Executive in Madison Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Premise Account Executive in Madison Heights, MI

I have been working at YP (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome leadership team! Benefits, vacation time and constant training of new products.

Cons

some of the platforms we use could be intertwined to just one instead of multiple platforms.

Advice to Management

none-keep up the good work

Apr 20, 2017 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hello! Thank you for your review. Very happy to hear you are happy and enjoy your work environment. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know. You can email me at comments@yp.com ... More

"Don't do it"

Current Employee - Acc in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Acc in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at YP full-time

Pros

"possibilty to make good money"

Cons

you have to fight last year's rate and no matter if the customer pays 200 or 2000 already- you have to increase the account and if they cancel, even if you weren't the previous manager, that will hit your sells and you may end owing the COMPANY money and risk your job.

Advice to Management

I would recommend management is upfront in training about the process of losing accounts and how you can be fired if you don't save them.

"Key Accounts Executive"

Current Employee - Key Accounts Executive in Agoura Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Key Accounts Executive in Agoura Hills, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for almost 30 years and I still love my job. We are the leader in our industry, growing with the ever changing digital landscape, I love my customers, most of whom I have worked with for years, love watching their businesses grow and being a part of their success

Cons

Adapting from a print only to a digital and print company has not been easy

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in making the products we sell as strong as possible.

Apr 17, 2017 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your time with us and helping us grow small businesses for the last 30 years! It is because of you that we are able to ... More

"Product Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Salary and the people I worked with were great to be around.

Cons

For several years the company has been unstable because of bad Corporate leadership. For years the last CEO, brought in terrible leaders. Just because some. Of them had degrees from prestigious schools, but were terrible at running a business. I new CEO is just as bad, for the people he brought aboard are do nothing stoogies. All of the employees are afraid the company will be sold and everyone will face being laid off. Just like hundreds of people at yp recently were.

Apr 28, 2017 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hi! I am sorry to read your review and the negative experience you had here. I do agree that things needed to change and they have over the course of the last year. The new CEO has come in and ... More

"Digital Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The income is good with a very large commission pay out for the top sellers, The performance Manager is great, and if you looking to be promoted within there is room for advancement.

Cons

Commission chargebacks, Product training is not "hands on" so I hope you like watching videos to be trained, the fulfillment process after the sale is intense and because it is contracted out it often is incorrect. Horrible training with the system sales input and processing.

Showing 1,365 of 1,407 reviews