YP Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 21, 2017
1,381 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,381 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • PTO time is great, work/life balance is great (in 80 reviews)

• supportive managers that help you achieve your goals, cares about customers, good benefits, cutting edge (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficulty finding time to sell because of all the office work on the sales reps plates (in 54 reviews)

• Upper-management trys to be efficient but it turns out to be micromanaging in most cases (in 53 reviews)

"Best Job"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love it been there for over 5 years and has been nothing but great for me.

Cons

There is nothing I can say that I don't like about my current role.

Advice to Management

Stay humble focus on customer and employees and the profits will follow.

"You can make good money...."

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Pipersville, PA
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Pipersville, PA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, management is fair, products are straight forward, and not very difficult to sell. The money can be terrific, if you work for it. Cold calling all day, every day, is what it takes to succeed. If you don't want to make 300-500 cold phone calls per week, look elsewhere.

Cons

Competition is fierce, and a lot of the products/services that our competitors often work better than YP's. Long term contracts can also deter buyers. Client retention is difficult.

"Good for first job."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL

I worked at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience for 1st job out of school.

Cons

Untrained managers. Selfish and negative environment. Do not care about your long term success.

Advice to Management

Train your managers to actually care about your employees so that they will WANT to work for them.

YP Response

Mar 3, 2016 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hello! Thank you so much for your review and for your time here at YP. We are happy that YP was able to jump start your career coming out of college but definitely not happy to hear about your other ... More

4. "Media Consultant"

Current Employee - Media Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Media Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative company with a lot of potential

Cons

The training program is short and you will not feel well-equipped to be successful

Advice to Management

Increase the training program to multiple weeks instead of just one week

5. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Tucker, GA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong communication skills and highly involved in ypsearch and other search-related YP products from an operations perspective.

Cons

I will need to move from Atlanta to Texas, but I have family there and I am excited!

Advice to Management

People who are treated like adults with respect often price you right. Not everyone is coachable, but t everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves.

6. "Be the change"

Current Employee - Corporate Organization in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Organization in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and friendly co-workers who are working hard to transform the company to be THE leader in digital marketing solutions for small businesses and a stronger player in local search for consumers.

Cons

Driving change isn't easy, you have to work hard and think critically. There are some people who have been with the company for many years that don't want to change and are happy to keep things the "way they were."

Advice to Management

Keep pushing ahead.

"Ad Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Representative in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Representative in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at YP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I started in 2007, I thought I'd found a decent company to maybe even retire from. It became a lot harder to talk yourself into anything that could be seen as a positive.

Cons

When Cerberus took over in 2012, it rapidly became aware to anyone that had been there since 2007 or so, that this company was just going to outsource/offshore as much as they could, set impossible goals and get rid of older, wiser employees who saw through all of their unspoken plans. Commissions were taken back or must be paid back at the end of the year. As soon as you miss your goals/objectives, you're put on a PIP or Performance Improvement Plan. This was really a warning that you'd be gone within 3mos time. They'd purposely set crazy goals to be able to get out of a PIP. They didn't want you anymore and the Union became worthless and worked on the side of management, a big No-No! They'd say well if you want to keep your job, this is what you have to do. They wouldn't go to bat for most sales reps, unless they were the favored ones. Favoritism became rampant and it became obvious who they'd keep around and not use the "PIP" as a more stick than carrot method. It used to be fun to come to work, but no more. This isn't even a suitable job as an entry level position. Don't get sucked in! They have a staff of management that writes bogus job reviews. There's nothing good about YP. It's no longer AT&T. That made all the difference. Advertising Sales used to be their cash cow, the print side. Well, that's a dead horse now. They try and pitch the print as part of a combo deal with online advertising. It's pretty much mandatory to do so. If you missed the print in the sale, you'd have to call them back and get them to buy into print too! They were still touting it as the best ROI and critical for an advertiser. Everybody knew print sales was dead by then, 2012. The worst part is that the online ad programs didn't work for the customer! They'd call and cancel by a huge percentage when they found out the online was a joke. Then you're stuck paying back commissions too. It was a never ending suite of crap products!

Advice to Management

Work with reps that early on are showing signs of having trouble meeting their goals. Don't constantly threaten people with their jobs.

"Started out great but once sold to Cerberus the job went South."

Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Richmond, VA

I worked at YP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There was great freedom prior to using salesforce which they intend to use to monitor your every move and rank you to your peers. Pay was good but has been reduced year over year. Great people working under poor management and offering lack luster products. Company blames customer loss on sales but 9/10 times it is product performance. Top down run company with little to no gratitude for the sales people and the relationship they build with the customer. They view everybody replaceable.

Cons

The list is long. The culture has gone down every month. 80% of sales start the year out owing the company back money. The products seldom perform as broadcasted and they expect sales to spin a web of untruths to keep customers paying. They never want a customer to come down on monthly billing but only increase. Again, great people but greedy company.

Advice to Management

Don't due draw programs. It has killed the motivation of sales. Value the reps relationship they build with the customer because it is what brings in the renewal 90% of the time. You have run off almost all the great sales people that built the digital region. Greed of a huge parent company killed YP and now you have horrible word of mouth and are begging your employees to say good things and write positive reviews. That isn't how you become a great place to work. Why not an exit interview to learn why someone leaves. I departed on good terms after many years and was treated like a criminal. It was like salt in a wound. No thank you for 6 years. No two notice allowed. No last pay check- you kept it. What the hell... No other company keeps employees last paycheck. All you care about is more sales and making money. If just maybe you respected your sales reps, sales would go up.... And stop squeezing every penny so tight- it causes you to lose great people.

YP Response

Mar 22, 2016 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate any and all feedback, good and bad. I do want to say, that any and all customer loss is due to different levels of ... More

"Tel Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Leeds, AL
    Current Employee - Sales in Leeds, AL

I have been working at YP (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people good money. Great opportunity for driven sales people.

Cons

uncontrollable loss you have to sell to overcome.

Advice to Management

Don't penalize sales reps with pre identified and uncontrollable loss.

"Premise Account Executive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at YP full-time

Pros

I started at this company when it was AT&T. The company, as of now, is union and that can be a plus or minus. It all depends on the individual. You can make $, you have to know how to work the system.

Cons

This job is a grind. You have to make anywhere from 75-100 calls a day and you need to have 8-12 appts a week to get your conversion quota. You have to have 2-4 new conversions a month on top of your bank of accounts. The company sold the Yellow Page side, but we are still selling for the new owners.

Advice to Management

Do not micro-manage so much. Outside sales reps need to be out in the field and not behind their desks all day. Every rep has a different way of selling and getting the job done.

Showing 1,381 of 1,423 reviews