YP Senior Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
YP Chief Executive Officer Jared Rowe
Jared Rowe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • PTO time is great, work/life balance is great (in 86 reviews)

• supportive managers that help you achieve your goals, cares about customers, good benefits, cutting edge (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper-management trys to be efficient but it turns out to be micromanaging in most cases (in 56 reviews)

• Difficulty finding time to sell because of all the office work on the sales reps plates (in 55 reviews)

"Great Company - Great Boss"

Current Employee - Senior Campaign Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Campaign Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- No micromanaging.
    - Somewhat flexible hours.
    - Decent pay and benefits.
    - Office perks: food, cafeteria, free parking.
    - Best boss I've had so far.

Cons

None really except large office floor with unknown faces

2. "YP Marketing Solutions-A lot of change over my tenure with the company."

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for 6 years, I started young and made my way up, I have been promoted from telesales account manager to a premise account manager now I am a senior account manager. The company has undergone so many changes, some good, some bad. The people have always been the reason I've stayed with the company. You have to put in the hours if you want the payouts. It's not all bad like you see in other reviews, but the company needs fresh ideas and new management.

Cons

The company must get rid of the dinosaur management to succeed as a digital company. We need new ideas, new innovators and a younger group. Business owners think the millennials are the ones with the knowledge of digital marketing and advertising. Some may disagree with me, but I think the virtual offices need to go. It's something new the company is trying (obviously to cut real estate costs) but it has made this job much harder to do. You no longer have someone you can turn to and ask for help, etc. Also, the customer service company YP uses is GOD AWFUL. You have to deal with people who barely speak English and are very rude.

Advice to Management

Bring customer service and sales support back within the company if you want to get better ratings for your customer satisfaction. Get rid of the old stale, outdated print-centric management team that is dragging YP's performance down. We need new ideas and new innovations to succeed and management is a big part of the problem with YP's continued decline in sales.

"Too much change"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance

Cons

The organization has no direction. Too much change in short periods of time. Once one process is implemented, it changes the next day. The folks who are always in in the trenches, never get any recognition. Poor upper management. Poor Pay

Advice to Management

Take notice to the folks who work so hard and long hours to make the organization a successful.

Apr 3, 2017 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hi!

We fully agree that we have had a lot of change over the course of the last 12 months and unfortunately, that is what happens when an organization does what you are looking for, gain... More

"Senior SEM Account Manager"

Former Employee - Senior SEM Account Manager in Delray Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Senior SEM Account Manager in Delray Beach, FL

I worked at YP (More than a year)

Pros

Great facilities. great team, and the company is stable.

Cons

Too many accounts per individual and the salary is simply too low

Advice to Management

You really need to listen to the people who provide product fulfillment when making business decisions. You are disconnected and it shows.

"This company will give you suicidal thoughts!!!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tucker, GA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co workers and its a job good for recent wet behind the ears graduates

Cons

All male white boys club... kiss butt and make connections and you move up. Education and certifications mean nothing to this company you can have managers that know nothing about the product but are some how still in charge..

Advice to Management

Karma is real. What goes around comes around.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Glendale, CA

Pros

Challenging job environment,
    Very smart people to work with .
    Good compensation

Cons

Need better benefits
    Need better recruiting
    Less Political fights :)

Apr 4, 2016 – Manager, Online Reputation Management

Hi! Thank you so much for your review. If you ever want to take some of your thoughts offline, both good or bad, please feel free to email us at socialmedia@yp.com to continue the conversation. Thank... More

7. "Sr. Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This has been a tremendous company to work for with great career advancement opportunity. This company is a leader amongst small business advertising campaigns across vast professions and segments of industries. You will learn a number of invaluable skillsets while having the chance to learn multiple facets of big business and what it takes to be successful on both a personal and team level.

Cons

This is a big company operating in a market space of constant change. To me this is a PRO but often times people have trouble with change. If change is something that excites you and you have the drive to learn and self educate there is no reason you can not be successful here.

"Good money & people but declining relevance and bad health insurance"

Current Employee - Senior Manager Analytics in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Analytics in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good pay relative to other digital places, lots of free food, casual atmosphere, data-driven culture, improved maternity leave in 2016.

Cons

Expensive health insurance with only 2 options. Keeps getting worse every year. Would never recommend YP to a family with only one adult supplying insurance from here.

Advice to Management

Improve health insurance costs and options beyond 2

9. "Management"

Current Employee - Senior Manager Sales Support in Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Sales Support in Tucker, GA

I have been working at YP (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome Company to work for!

Cons

There are no Cons to share

Nov 17, 2015 – Recruiting Business Partner, Programs

We love your enthusiasm! Thank you for your review.

"Engineering Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The people: There are some really awesome (both personally and professionally) people at YP (Glendale) who really do care about the company and the people.
    - Technology: There is some willingness to try new technologies, open source products, etc.
    - Culture: As compared to other companies I've worked in, the culture at YP rarely felt toxic - those that created the most toxicity are gone as fair as I know. Most people are at least content in their roles.
    - Location: If you're like me an have absolutely no interest in heading to the West Side (of LA), it's one of the better tech options available.
    -Compensation: As compared to a lot of companies in the immediate area, they pay pretty well. They have a decent bonus structure.
    - Hiring: It's not really that hard to get hired at YP, they're desperate.
    - Stability: I always felt somewhat stable there. You have to really mess up to get fired. I never wondered if I was going to come in to a layoff, or if pay roll was going to be made. The growth, especially in Sales, always seemed like a good sign.
    - The product: Yellowpages is an old brand and a house hold name.

Summary: There are some really awful places to work in the LA area. If you're stagnant in a company whose stuck in antiquated technologies or methodologies, this is a good stepping stone to something better and will feel like a breath of fresh air.

Cons

- The people: As a counter point to the pro; there are too many at YP that have been their too long. Those who have are either jaded or lazy and either way feel to be coasting. They really need a changing of the guard so to speak.
    - Technology: While there's willingness to try newer things, the implementation doesn't always flesh out. They are extremely limited by their insane and outdated security policies, mostly due to hold overs from the AT&T days. They're terrified of anything "in the cloud" or "as a Service" which means they're constantly reinventing the wheel and makes it a nightmare for modern thinkers. There's a tenancy to jump on a new idea (buzz word - e.g. Docker, MesOS) and blindly move forward in a way that's comfortable, leaving a half in/half out feeling and a clunky end product.
    - Culture: When I left, this was generally positive, but in an overall downward trend. There's was a ton of attrition, which is both good and bad for this. Some of the best and worst people to work with were leaving in droves. It's really hard to say where the cultural feel is going to level out, but I don't have high hopes.
    - Location: I hate Glendale, the traffic sucks. But as I said, it's better than a lot of the alternatives.
    - Compensation: They can't afford top tier talent. Period. They Health Insurance is the worst I've personally seen (but I've heard of worse).
    - Stability: There's a lot of question with the future, they're in sink or swim mode for sure. There's challenges In the local search space in general, they're not killing it and are behind, in spite of having a strong brand to leverage.
    - Hiring: It's not really that hard to get hired at YP, they're desperate.
    - The product: Personally, I could care less about delivering/selling Ads. They're grasping at straws for new ideas and it's painful to watch.

Summary: If you're at the top of your field, they can't afford you and you won't be happy there anyway. If you're use to modern startups or more progressive companies you'll hate life there.

Advice to Management

- The people: As many others have said, stop hiring your friends at the Sr Management/Executive level, especially those from failed or failing companies.
    - Technology: Fire the security team and replace them (at any cost) with top tier talent from the cloud space. Make a 5 year plan to get out of your own datacenters, the platforms and technologies are perfect for PaaS, you're wasting time and money in hosting and staffing your own operations. LWES is a failed experiment. It was a great idea at the time, but better solutions exist now, especially "as a Service". Put a lock down on non- billing related tracking. The amount of development and testing hours put in to tracking useless and unused data is astounding. It kills application performance and developer velocity and most of all morale. Stop thinking in millions when prioritizing feature adds, you're a billion dollar company, act like it.
    - Compensation: I heard time and again "we can't compete with Bay Area salaries". You have to! The Bay Area is starting to hire remote from all over the country/world, if you can't compete you'll be left with the dregs. RE Insurance, I'm guessing your hands are tied there, but it's just terrible.
    - Hiring: See compensation. See top tech company hiring practices. Don't settle.