Yahoo Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Work/life balance (almost no extra working hours need) (in 240 reviews)

• Free food breakfast/lunch/dinner (in 336 reviews)

Cons

1. "Yahoo Future Doesn't look so bright .... or does it ?"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not very hard working env. If that what you looking for, More play and have fun than actually doing any work, Free food, Everyone gain ~10 pounds the first year here.

Cons

Not very diversified work environment . 60% Indian decent, 30% Asian, 10% White.
    Most people are 'followers' - like to be told what to do and wait for someone to tell them and manage them.

Slacker environment, no one work very hard, Games and events every day can not imagine much work gets done when there is company. Wide event half the day and the rest of the day people eat and drink like it was not end,

Talking about free food, I get turned off by seeing all this people bringing home food in food containers, just because it's free food (breakfast/lunch/dinner) it doesn't mean you need to stack your containers and bring home to you hole family the feed them!

Advice to Management

Yahoo has struggle to find out what to go from here....
    Marissa Meyer was brought in but didn't know what to do either
    All now innovation at yahoo was accrued by acquire startups like Flickr Flurry Tumblr Brightroll etc, not created by Yahoo, Same goes for Broadcast (Mark Cuban / Shark Tank) sold his sport media streaming company to yahoo for 5 billon and now Yahoo sold itself for 4.3 billion !! Yahoo got a management refresh 80% of management purged out and new executives brought it by AOL (Owned by Verizon) Yet to see what this new company Oath will do with Yahoo. For starters 2100 people was fired when the Verizion deal was closed recently and that wasn't good for morale but that's what happens when you turn over they keys and the CEO takes the golden parachute and leaves the company in the dust .....

2. "Yahoo in Hillsboro OR is going downhill due to local leadership"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Yahoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and free food

Cons

Most employees and managers in Hillsboro, OR don't have college degrees.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

3. "SE at Yahoo"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work and food and nothing else

Cons

people , not so intelligent crowd any more

4. "Maddening Inconsistency"

Former Employee - Senior Editor in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some very nice people working at Yahoo - below the VP or Senior Director level

Cons

Completely inconsistent about everything from the way people are treated and compensated to performance reviews to products being given budget or shuttered. There is literally no logic at all. At the VP and above level there appears to be a strategy based on rolling dice.

Advice to Management

All of you quit and make room for people with any training at all.

"Inconherent company"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Free culture, very active employees.

Cons

Disoriented business, corrupt and incompetent management.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the corrupt and incompetent managers.

6. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lavista, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lavista, NE

I worked at Yahoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked the free lunches, snacks and drinks. Yahoo had decent benefits.

Cons

Yahoo recruiters misled me about the position. They left our that we were required to work until 10pm during the week and that we would be required to work weekends and holidays. They embellished the responsibilities of the job, when all I was doing was resetting passwords all day. The Manager was rude & could cared less about the female staff. The Manager inappropriately flirted with many of the male staff.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on the LaVista office

7. "Wasteful company with no leadership"

Former Contractor - Digital Media in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Digital Media in New York, NY

I worked at Yahoo as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, nice office, newest tech products and upgrades.

Cons

Out of touch Sr. Management -
    Most Senior roles never engage with their own staff or give opportunity for ideas and discussions. You are made to pitch ideas or send examples to a manger who will pass along for approval. You are often not given feedback on why your idea can not move forward. Your only exposure to Sr. Staff is in a large symposium set up where you are given free drinks and snacks and listen to them talk on a panel about their career path and backgrounds - nothing related to where they see the future of Yahoo going. In a lot of cases these Sr. roles have no background in technology and have very outdated ideas about media. They select Jr. members of staff to give them examples of social media and video success by our competitors in order to greater understand the platform they are supposed to be running.

Contractors -
    There are so many contractors here with no security for their future but given large responsibilities with heavy expectations. Contracts renew every 3 months, each time being given as late as 5 days if your contract will renew. Some employees stay up to two years on this program and are let go after years of employment with a weeks notice, no severance, or replacement making certain roles suddenly obsolete on teams that were relying on them.
    Additionally contractors have a separate HR department based in Wisconsin, whereas full time staff have HR on site. This makes it very challenging and inaccessible if you need to discuss any issues with a FT staff member (and there many!!)

No recycling program - for thousands of employees given unlimited free snacks and bottled drinks, there are no recycling systems in place.

Advice to Management

Please understand you have talented people who are experts in their fields and want Yahoo to succeed. Give them FT benefits (free food is not enough) and make your self available to listen to them and share your opinions and ideas for the company in a personal way. Not everyone has the personality to stand up in front of a room of 50 or more people in attempt to connect with you.

8. "Purple Haze"

Former Employee - Senior Director of Engineering in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director of Engineering in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can't think of any left, given the stage the company is in.

Cons

By this time the talented people have probably all left this sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Don't believe everything you're thinking.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perks, lots of them. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Almost everything else. Very poor Upper management. My manager had no clue whatsoever as to how to manage the team. Hardly saw him at work, my teammates used fowl language all the time, very rude and made me feel uncomfortable. The quarterly review is brutal, since my manager has no clue as to what the team is up to, you are at the mercy of coworkers. It doesn't help to work hard and do a good job. Lots of politics, you have to fight for your survival.

I heard last that the perks are going to be cut shortly, so I fail to see how Yahoo can hire any talent given the circumstances.

Lastly, beware of the chaos and commotion that is Yahoo!. You have to be at the edge of your seat everyday, not knowing when the axe falls. I couldn't survive that kind of uncertainty everyday, not knowing what is in store.

The reason behind the hiring is all the attrition. I assume, there are so many open positions because of the numerous people who are leaving voluntarily. Watch out before interviewing and even more before you accept an offer. Moreover, lots of stuff promised on your offer like bonus will depend on the company's perf, and you definitely won't see that money knowing Yahoo!.

10. "Racial Discrimination at its finest."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Cookies on Tuesday. The gym was nice. There were a lot of healthy food options.

Cons

Well Yahoo likes to tout that they have higher diversity numbers than other companies. It might be nice to report that, but they should also report that they also do not treat their black employees the same. I wish i had some great story about how i tried and tried and my manager had a sit down with me to let me know that there were things i had to work on, and at the end of the day, it just wasn't going to work out. But thats not the case....i was 3 times more productive than my peers and yet was let go....i was told that i received coaching......really????? No one said a word to me. Im guessing that must be the policy and someone was trying to cover their tracks when they fired the only black female on the team that was clearly a high perfomer. I would have loved coaching! I asked to be shown this "review" i allegedly received.....turns out it never existed....to add insult to injury.....i was also told that i made a comment..... the comment that i supposedly made....no one ever heard me say it, and again no one let me know about it. Why would there be sooo many lies about me....with not one shred of proof. Well the great thing is, the department i was in, no has less than 1% African Americans. How about that for diversity!

Advice to Management

If you are going to fire black people, do it based on merit and not skin color. If your policy is to perform reviews and give coaching before letting someone go, make sure this policy is followed for black employees as well. Discrimination and defamation are not whar you want to show in your "diversity" reports that you want to be sooo proud of. And if a black person is going above and beyond, praise them, not let people try to get rid of them with flimsy excuses and lies.

Showing 185 of 3,138 reviews