Cover image for Yahoo

Yahoo

Is this your company?

Yahoo

Add a Review

Yahoo Employee Reviews about "food"

Updated Jan 27, 2023

Found 682 of over 6K reviews

4.0
Yahoo CEO Jim Lanzone
Jim Lanzone

What people are saying about Yahoo

Join the conversation on

Tech

559.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Yahoo~5807
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Yahoo? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Yahoo employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Yahoo and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "food"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

sinking ship - board at risk of redundancy in few months

Mar 8, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

free food and the usual perks office location people (depending on team)

Cons

no clear vision or focus at top level, a lot of management jargon, noise and experiments going on for years now frequent layoffs constantly hurting morale of existing employees 0 job security for new recruits

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great Experience with Highly Motivated People

Sep 11, 2014 - Technical in Sunnyvale, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The perks and benefits are really great! Free quality food throughout the day is a great plus as well as the gym and gaming facilities. Yahoo is consistently putting out events from picnics, baseball match viewings to bringing hollywood stars for movie premieres. They really care about the employees and try to engage them in various ways. The office culture varies greatly based on department. The mobile department is fairly active and there is an air of excitement over new releases and features. The mobile teams are all in a very high growth stage and people are generally optimistic.

Cons

The major cons I would say are that while some parts of the company are attempting to move very quickly, legacy systems are still weighing heavily on new products. Many departments dont seem to feel the urgency to deliver and help Yahoo excel in this critical phase for the company.

3. Join the Yahoo team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

good culture, steeped in anxiety

Jan 14, 2020 - Intern Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful community that cares Strong benefits - free food and resources Flexible work / life balance

Cons

Lack of future direction

5. 4.0
    Current Employee

A company that respect employee

Dec 14, 2020 - Software Engineer in Taipei
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free food and drink in Taiwan

Cons

Low salary comparing to other companies

6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Not a nice place to work since Verizon took over Yahoo

Jun 25, 2021 - Senior Account Manager in Dublin, Dublin
    Business Outlook

Pros

- City centre location - Friendly co-workers - On site private gym

Cons

- Low salary compared to competitors - 0 days allowed to work from abroad - Free food and other perks removed - Company is US focused only. No Investment or plan for EMEA

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Former Contractor

Lots of great, some not so much

Dec 5, 2017 - Anonymous Contractor in Sunnyvale, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some amazing long-time and new employees; pockets of promising product; free food

Cons

Caught in the pre-acquisition shuffle

8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Work hard, play hard. People are just awesome

Aug 17, 2021 - Account Strategist in Dublin, Dublin
    Business Outlook

Pros

I honestly loved working for Verizon Media. I believe the old Yahoo people are just awesome. I was happy with my worklife balance. Maybe salary isn't as high as other tech companies but I always left the office at the time I was expected to, we had great parties, good fun and my manager was just awesome, she's the best manager I had. I had the time of my life and I was truly happy there. The gave us a mobile phone (that I used as if it was mine) and free food

Cons

Working from home (pre-covd) was not always supported, also coving for holidays/xmas was always a mess. Some executive decision were despicable, but at the end of the day it's their decision and they might have a broader view

9. 5.0
    Former Employee

Yahoo! is a very cool place to work at.

Nov 17, 2008 - Prototyper/Interaction Design Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great location, lots of benefits. Sunnyvale campus has out-door beach volleyball court, basketball court, and GYM. Free coffee which is not just a coffee machine. Each building has a coffee bean where we can just go and ask for any type of coffee like star bucks. Food at the cafeteria is cheap and good. Very flexible working hours. We can work from home as long as we do not miss any meetings and finish the job done. There are many interest groups with in the Yahoo! employers such as volleyball, iphone, etc. This helps people to find and meet people that are like them. Yahoo! has offices on many locations, and sometime we can visit other offices if we have important meeting with people in the other offices.

Cons

Restaurants are not near campus, so we just have to use on campus cafeteria. If your team is small and everyone is busy, then you do take out from cafeteria and eat at the cubicle most of the time.

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Current CEO is the Death Rattle

Oct 21, 2014 - Service Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Free Food (but greasy) * Cell phone * ICs are usually smart * Some managers are awesome

Cons

Long Standing Issues: * Meetingitis - ICs for hours a week, managers all the time. Meetings to prepare for meetings about meetings. * Too many middle managers, and the ones that "kiss up and kick down" get promoted. * Silos, no incentive to work with other groups or have fresh ideas. People who do get screwed in the reviews. * Top down, one size fits all "Agile" process imposed, whether it makes sense or not. Lots of "Cargo Cult Agile" used as a micromanagement tool ("Why haven't you done what you committed to?" - every sprint a death march.) * Below market wages - by around $20K * Loaded with H1(b) indentured workers, who get treated like slaves because they can't quit without being shipped home. This pressures wages for everyone below market. Slow green card process, too - because once people get their green card, they will leave. * NIH syndrome - long standing habit of not wanting anything in their stack not invented or at least pissed in by in-house engineers. Only dribs and drabs given back to the open source community. * HR sides with management, even when management does something so egregiously bad that multiple people report it. Current CEO added: * QPR - quarterly stack ranking, employees compete against each other to not get voted off the island. You're gauged on how visible what you do is, not on how well you do it. People are paranoid and demoralized. * Open plan, no partitions, small desks, no privacy, noisy - symbolizes utter contempt for employees and their need for personal space. * No WFH - to address a problem with incompetent management not realizing that some employees weren't doing any work, the whole company was forced to come in to the (now nasty and crowded) office. Swatting a fly with a sledgehammer, and a nasty letter from HR to kick it off. * Beware changing groups, your previous manager will give you a bad QPR, and if you had one before you're out the door. * Mimicking Google, trying to draw in RCGs, shoving older workers (and their domain knowledge) out the door. * People let go in QPR are asked to sign an absolution letter saying there was no discrimination or retaliation at Yahoo in order to get their severance. [I didn't sign - it would have been a lie.] Letter also demanded the existence of the letter be kept secret for some reason... but only if you agreed to it. * C-level micromanagement, and when people point out user dissatisfaction or problems, just dismisses the users as "whiners" or "change averse".

10 people found this review helpful