Cover image for Yahoo

Yahoo

Is this your company?

Yahoo

Add a Review

Yahoo Employee Reviews about "manager"

Updated Jan 27, 2023

Found 122 of over 6K reviews

4.0
Yahoo CEO Jim Lanzone
Jim Lanzone

What people are saying about Yahoo

Join the conversation on

Tech

559.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Yahoo~5807
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Yahoo? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Yahoo employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Yahoo and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "manager"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0

Avoid this please

Mar 10, 2011 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Chance to work with few of the best folks in the industry at Yahoo. Free coffee is the best. Good benefits and stock options.

Cons

Pretty much every one is a manager or senior manager. Whomever you call a lead is typically titled as Director at Yahoo. Every people manager has their own personal interests and politics taking over working for company growth.

4 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

good working place

Jan 8, 2014 - Senior Software Engineer in Taipei
    Business Outlook

Pros

talent colleagues and free food

Cons

bad manager management and hard to be promoted

3. Join the Yahoo team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0

Even valued employees can get screwed. RESEARCH YOUR SALARY

Nov 9, 2015 - Editor in Santa Monica, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing, talented co-workers, great health insurance and 401k match, free employee stock, daily free lunch, tons of snacks and cute events, great on resume, paid better for entertainment positions than non-tech companies.

Cons

Was a Temp worker who was converted to full-time, which was already a lengthy task that took over a year to complete, even when my dept barely operated without me. A year later I discovered I was being paid about 40% less than my peers, some of whom were were less valued and far far less skilled. Found out only because another dept wanted to poach me and that manager was literally appalled at what I was being paid at the time. I verified this asking other trusted co-workers in similar positions in my dept. They were also shocked at this information, fully knowing my excellent reputation. I was so highly-valued that during the constant layoffs, upper management told me point blank I was one of very few out of dozens of employees they wanted to keep to help shape the new regime. I had even won an annual Yahoo award, beating out seasoned veterans in my extended vertical. When it was discovered I was thinking of switching departments, 3 heads privately sat me down multiple times to plead for me to stay. I brought up the gross income discrepancy to them, they promised to try their best, which I believe they did. But even my upper management was powerless to do anything, as traversing Yahoo bureaucracy is so impossible that nothing gets done. Ended up quitting because it wasn't worth spending another minute there being so underpaid, and I was too valued to be laid off with their awesome severance package. I survived about 5-6 waves of layoffs in 4 years.

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Former Employee

Think about others because Yahoo! is not your world

Jun 14, 2008 - Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Environment to grow and bottom line people are good. Engineering resources and training courses are very good. Good fun stuff like hack days. They have offices worldwide, so you can get exposure to other countries too. They have too many product lines, so good technical and product experience. You can wear jeans and causal clothes. They have gym and cafe in most of Sunnyvale and Santa Clara location with shuttle services to SF and East Bay areas. You can work from home if your manager allows you and they provide VPN token and Laptops. They offer 2 weeks vacation first year and 3 weeks after that.

Cons

Too much politics, everyone just want to save their position and no one cares about company as such. Mistrust and mis-communication is common theme in senior management. You head can be chopped off very easily if you're not involved in politics and everyone is waiting to eat you if you're star performer being they're not, so you always have to watch for them rather than focusing on your actual work. Even though Fun is their basic value but they don't allow too much. Once you're in trouble then it is very tough to come out because others enjoy that. I don't think of working for Yahoo! again.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work for

Jun 25, 2017 - Search Editor in Taipei
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. good work and life balance. 2. great company culture. lots of internal sharing event and after work social clubs. You can meet lots of talented people and learn lots of new stuffs. 3. Lots of perks and benefit in Taiwan office. you get the free breakfast, lunch, coffee, snacks, beverage, afternoon tea, fruit...etc. You can save lots of money on food and the only thing you need to worry about is to get fat in your first few months. 4.Good performance review system. you can get the feedback from your peer and manger quarterly and you can also rate your manager and manger quarterly and you can also rate your manager and manger quarterly and you can also rate your manager as well. performance review is always tricky and not easy to implement in the big firm. but Yahoo try to stick to the rule and encourage employees to write the anonymous feedback to their manager. This could help to prevent the middle level manager not doing any works or treat their team member unfairly.

Cons

1.not much career progress in search editor's role. 2.not easy to apply for the internal transfer or relocate to other offices. not sure is this just the policy in Taiwan office. but in general, internal transfer is not encouraged in Taiwan office. 3.need to fill in a form on the system which recorded what you have done every hour. Feel like being tracked all the time. This is a valuable job which provide the critical insight. you shouldn't treat people in this role like a supply chain worker.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Its a good company to work for...just make sure you know your manager before you join

Nov 22, 2012 - Senior QA Engineer in Bangalore
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of benefits and perks for working in Yahoo! Coolest work culture I've ever worked in. Being around intellectual people certainly helps

Cons

Some of the managers can be very unlike-Yahoo...specially the ones coming in lately. Just make sure what you are getting into before you join and you should be fine. Try to interact with few team members you will be working with and especially your manager before joining.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Learn everything!

Dec 10, 2015 - Associate Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The APM Program at Yahoo is the best place to become an exceptional Product Manager. We get a solid foundational introduction the first few weeks, and begin our projects right away. It's a bit intimidating at first the level of responsibility you're given, but it's awesome. I meet with my manager regularly, have a few mentors who have helped provide additional perspective, and an executive coach who works with me on developing my leadership style, communication skills, and anything else I need help with. Throughout the year, we have chats with SVPs, Design directors, Architects, and other teams such as the Accessibility Labs and User Research groups, to learn more about what they consider / how they approach product. We have outings and fun events with our class and other APMs. We also went on a 2wk international trip to study tech markets in Israel and Asia, specifically focusing on how tech is created & consumed in those regions by speaking with venture firms, startups, tech policy makers, and university research labs. There is a lot of change, and keeping up with it can sometimes be challenging. However, I've found that this has helped me work more flexibly, so I'd consider it both a pro and a con. Yahoo can only grow as quickly as it has if there is constant transformation, which requires change as the company evolves. It's a special time in the company's history to be here, and it's cool that my work has such a large impact! If you want to be challenged to do great things with the support system of champions, the Yahoo APM Program is the place to be.

Cons

Constant change = a pro and a con.

9. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Yahoo is a fantastic place to work -- I highly recommend it!

Jan 5, 2017 - Integrative Marketing Communications Producer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent place to work -- they take very good care of their employees and the people who work there are smart, fun and fantastic!

Cons

I had no downsides except for I live in SF and Sunnyvale is a haul, even with the shuttle. And I had a bad manager experience there but it was handled professionally and kindly.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee

Great place to work if only...

Nov 15, 2008 - Senior Program Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Yahoo is a good place to land for a project manager if you are tired of the grind of agency work or consulting. Travel is minimal and well funded (always nice hotels, not motel 6). Culture is really hit or miss - some groups are a great close-knit group, while others - if you fell over dead, no one would notice until you didn't show up at a Sprint meeting for a couple of days. The benefits will spoil anyone - working from home is easy to do as teams are sometimes widely dispersed; getting time off was never an issue.

Cons

The internal divisions between product and engineering are debilitating and make it near impossible to get anything done. Priorities are constantly shifting and the work culture has pretty much ground to a halt with all of the drama that has gone on in 2008. It is sad - the company could do so much if the management structure and strategy was actually aligned between the disciplines.