Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Russ Myers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Visitor check in in emergency room"

Current Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Yakima, WA
    Current Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Yakima, WA

I have been working at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, easy job, cafeteria onsite, consistent schedule, uniforms provided, good co workers, offers discounts on you phone bill and schooling

Cons

I am Unable to intervene in situations, have to call for contact security or protection officers to deal with situations

2. "Employment"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Yakima, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Yakima, WA

I have been working at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good mission and values but culture could improve

Cons

could be more organized as there are too many silos that exist

Advice to Management

listen to your staff more and value their suggestions. Empower them.

3. "Don't bother"

Former Employee - Wouldnt You Like to Know in Yakima, WA
    Former Employee - Wouldnt You Like to Know in Yakima, WA

I worked at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers are terrific as long as they actually do the work and do not put it all on you. The cafeteria is amazing and the free healthy now clinic was nice.

Cons

If you become ill and miss even a few days they will make you feel awful and in the past we had to have special meetings where they threaten your position and make you feel awful, even with documented medical paperwork. For being a healthcare agency I have never experienced such harassment and misunderstandings. Feeling like management or HR do not care and will not stick up for you is an awful experience, especially for an employee that has spent many many years working for your company. I watched many valuable employees with legit medical problems be harassed and then let go. Management can be awful and HR does nothing about it until it's too late and you are gone. I have no trust in the agency.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and support them so they can succeed.

Jun 13, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Hi! Thank you for your comment. We would love to hear more about your experience. If you'd like to reach out to us, please email us at HumanResources@yvmh.org. Thank you!

"Very stressful employer & management harassment is allowed by this employer, management & coworkers."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yakima, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yakima, WA

I worked at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most pros are long gone. Most perks have been taken away & replaced by negativity. Top management does not practice the team work or positive attitude that they preach.

Cons

Most negative employer I have worked for, I thought health care was centered around making society healthy and helping those who may need it. For YVMH it's all about them and their control.

Advice to Management

Management is good at talking about a positive work environment, but they do nothing to promote a positive work place just the opposite. A Bad Manager can chase good employees away. Stop the bullying of outside physicians in the valley, just because your the largest employer in the valley does not mean those who choose not to join you does not mean you should threaten to ruin them. Where is your professionalism?

Jun 13, 2017 – HR Business Partner

5. "Imaging"

Current Employee - Magnetic Resonance Technologist in Yakima, WA
    Current Employee - Magnetic Resonance Technologist in Yakima, WA

I have been working at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has alot of opportunities for employees.

Cons

Unfortunately this company has been mismanaged for many years. This company needs to be cleaned up as far as limiting management staff to the needed positions only (very top heavy with VP's and middle management), additionally this company allows and creates a very negative environment. The HR department does not care about employees and adds to the negative environment, it is imperative that the Union comes in to protect employees rights.

Advice to Management

Clean up your management, they conduct themselves unprofessionally, they are negative and use intimidation and harassment techniques in order to control employees.

6. "Busy ER operates smoothly"

Former Employee - Emergency Department Scribe in Yakima, WA
    Former Employee - Emergency Department Scribe in Yakima, WA

I worked at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff and efficient working environment. The emergency department is fast paced and high stress but everyone there was competent knowing their duties and scope of practice.

Cons

Very large emergency department that needed some updated equipment (minor things like the computers)

Dec 20, 2016 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad that you had a great experience with our outstanding ED team!

7. "Director cancer center"

Former Employee - Director in Yakima, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Yakima, WA

I worked at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Progressive, talented physicians and staff good relationships and working collaboration between hospital proper and community practices. Facilities top notch, beautiful.

Cons

Yakim WA is a community of only ~80,000 serving area of ~130, 000. Many patients from outlying rural areas. Tend to have limited income. Poorest county in WA State. Better shopping lies outside the community, not far away in Seattle.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Hospital has very good CEO. Been in community and hospital a long time. Keeps good administrators, for the most part, around him. Hospital foundation is well run. Service lines are excellent. Broad range.

8. "Bad Management"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Yakima, WA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Yakima, WA

I worked at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Licensed Pharmacy Technician, Really good learning experience, your taught a lot different thing in a lot of different areas of pharmacy inpatient and outpatient

Cons

Wages are extremely low for the amount of work expected from you, but they have no trouble coming up with the budget to remodel the entire hospital the technician working at a retail pharmacy made $2.00 more per hour

Advice to Management

Pay your employee's for the amount of work they do and appreciate what they do you might have more loyal employee's none of the techs were happy big turn over

9. "Excruciating & Dismal!"

Former Employee - Manager in Yakima, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Yakima, WA

I worked at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Community Hospital that appeared to have a good reputation. Cafe food is great! Good on-site child care. Nice and updated facility.

Cons

No teamwork! Middle management was truly caught in the middle!! No support from Administration. Constantly belittled by VP. From the outside it looks like a great place to work, but don't be fooled! Healthcare nationally is in a CRISES and Memorial is not responding well. CEO needed to retire 5 years ago. Staff just put in their time and leave. No heart and sole.

Advice to Management

Walk the Talk!! Get rid of "Into the Blue"!!

10. "I always feel appreciated, they are quick to reward excellence, I love it here!"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Yakima, WA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Yakima, WA

Pros

Great benefits, Wonderful managment that are always available to listen and work with you so well because they understand we have families and lives outside of our jobs. They are great with rewarding hard work, and when necessary they are very compassionate and helpful in guiding you to become a better employee rather than "punishment" . The technology is rapidly growing and making Memorial a better and safer place to work and be taken care of!

Cons

The employees here do like it (as do I), so that causes very little turn over it seems. This means that there is not a lot of opportunity for advancement unfortunatly.