Yale New Haven Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Yale New Haven Hospital President and CEO Marna P. Borgstrom
Marna P. Borgstrom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They make you pay for parking and the rates are outrageous (in 5 reviews)

• Good for clinical/patient care, challenging for those in administrative positions (in 6 reviews)

1. "Ruthless"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Middletown, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Middletown, CT

I have been working at Yale New Haven Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Offers medical, dental and vision. Stable company. I am struggling to make the minimum amount of words for this section.

Cons

This is the absolute most cutthroat company I've ever worked for. They make you pay for parking, it's nearly impossible to transition out of administrative work, the take away or cut back on benefits like certain holidays (Good Friday) every year, offer basically no perks (AT&T and Verizon discount, that's about it) they are extremely tolerant of abusive, incompetent workers and making any real change about your work situation or a task requires wading through an inordinate amount of red tape for months. It's amazing how they are always stressing to save money but hire an unnecessary amount of middle managers. It's extremely top heavy.

There are jobs that can be done remotely but they are very anti telecommuting. Even during bad weather they refuse to let you telecommute (at least my department does). If you are hourly some departments will make you give back your overtime (if you stay 15 minutes late working on a project, you have to either arrive 15 minutes later the next day or leave 15 minutes early).

The have implemented this preposterous point system because it seems that they think we are wayward teens that can't be trusted to show up on time.

Not a second of time from management is spent on your career development. If you are on the clinical side there is probably more mobility, but if you are in the clerical side there is very little movement.

Upper staff frequently asks employees to donate your money to charities they work with.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring so many managers. Be more flexible and empathetic with employees. Stop being afraid of firing abusive employees. Stop asking us to donate money. You make more and can afford to, YOU donate.

2. "Floor Care"

Current Employee - Environmental Service in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Environmental Service in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale New Haven Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Job,love what im doing

Cons

Not enough hours, need more inco0me

"needs improvement"

Current Employee - Assistant in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Assistant in New Haven, CT

Pros

My department is a loving, caring, wonderful group of people, who work hard and help each other out to do our part for the patients.

Cons

Management does NOT have our backs. Mistakes are approached with "who did it....find that staff member, humiliate and punish them" approach. Many of the OR nurses bully us, look down, on us, and we are trying to help them, they are rude, mean, and insensitive, and disrespectful, think they are smarter and better than anyone who isn't a nurse. We all care for patients, not just nurses. We are also short staffed, and the Owens and Minor reps are not very helpful.

Advice to Management

Management needs to learn what we do and start supporting us, defending us, and helping us as a team. Senior management needs to stop putting profits before patients AND we need to create a career ladder for "little guys", ancillary and assistants.

"Nurse Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakdale, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakdale, CT

I worked at Yale New Haven Hospital (More than 5 years)

Pros

No PRo's-Upper management DOES NOT PRACTICE WHAT THEY PREACH!!!! They are non-exitent and you are left alone to make decisions-the only time you hear from them is if it wasn't the right decision despite the fact that you tried to ask for assistance. They are way too large and overwork their nurses and are now starting to give them even more responsibility. I would never have a family member be treated their, the last time was a disaster. They are greedy, and I decided to leave because it was against my morals to stay their.

Cons

See Pro's column-there are too many con's to write about, They make the pay good to get you to come but your life is miserable working their-it is not worth any amount of money if you end up taking your job home with you.

Advice to Management

be involved-don't come around only when their is a problem or the DPH is there-which is common!

"Ok for patients, terrible for staff."

Current Employee - Equipment Technician in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale New Haven Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is respectable in every department. There benefits are better than not having any. Overtime is available at times throughout the year.

Cons

They treat you like you're replaceable. The only care for profit and it almost feels like a plantation. Your over worked, micro managed, and constantly looked down upon. If need be, get hired and use to find another job or school. Benefits aren't cheap and co-pays are high.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better or they will unionize it's only a matter of time.

"Getting Worse"

Former Employee - Management in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Management in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale New Haven Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, best by far
    Good hours
    Great pay

Cons

No job security
    Starting to slowly outsource departments
    Low performers tolerated across the hospital

Advice to Management

Hire better staff members (with actual experience in the field )and let low performers go
    Reward and promote successful people, eliminate the "it's who you know" culture

"CNII"

Current Employee - CNII in Seymour, CT
    Current Employee - CNII in Seymour, CT

I have been working at Yale New Haven Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good teamwork and support from coworkers and management. Excellent educational opportunities, exceptional attending doctors.

Cons

Inflexible scheduling, way too much concern about irrelevant charting that continues to get longer and takes time away from patient care. Something that took 3 steps now takes 6 for charting purposes only. We are "punished" for using out rightfully earned PTO benefits buy getting points which lead to write ups and/or termination. Significantly lower pay than other hospitals.

8. "secretary"

I have been working at Yale New Haven Hospital full-time

Pros

wages, benefit, time, package, retirement plan

Cons

hour, wages, benefit, time, retirement plan

"physician"

Current Employee - Physician
    Current Employee - Physician

I have been working at Yale New Haven Hospital part-time

Pros

The affiliation it has with Yale University is fantastic. Lots of opportunity for learning and research.

Cons

Pay is terrible! Administrators are overpaid and stingy, caring more about themselves and bureaucracy than patients. It's a very broken syatem.

Advice to Management

Treat your physicians better.

"Dont believe that upper management cares about you."

Former Employee - EVS Supervisor in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - EVS Supervisor in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale New Haven Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Has a positive reputation which is unfortunate because its one of the worst places I have ever worked .

Cons

Hospital acquiesce to the minorities and does not discipline equitably across racial lines. This leads to sub standard care ultimately because no matter what dept your talking about that dept in some way effects patient care.

Advice to Management

Turn in your keys and let more competent people give it a go.