Yale New Haven Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Yale New Haven Hospital President and CEO Marna P. Borgstrom
Marna P. Borgstrom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They make you pay for parking and the rates are outrageous (in 5 reviews)

• Good for clinical/patient care, challenging for those in administrative positions (in 6 reviews)

1. "Little person in a big company"

Former Employee - Cerified Phlebotomist in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Cerified Phlebotomist in Waterbury, CT

I worked at Yale New Haven Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great, there are opportunities to move around within the company.

Cons

But still it's a big company and you're just one little person. Yes it is a business and of course making money is important, however, so are your employees. Not willing to take suggestions, the higher ups will pile on top of you whatever they feel will make THEIR job easier. I was a phlebotomist and ended up having to do multiple peoples jobs within a short time frame.

Advice to Management

Remember your employees are still people and if they come to you with concerns you may want to listen. ALSO if rules/laws are broken actually take of it and don't just push it under the rug. As stated above I was a phlebotomist and have witnessed on MULTIPLE occasions people redrawing patients with the SAME needle and or not properly identifying the patient and drawing the wrong patient. When that got brought to management I was scolded for trying to create a hostile environment. I worked for Smilow Outpatient and have seen a couple of coworkers get away with doing things improperly and get only a slap on the wrist. If the Joint Commission or the state catches wind of that you're in some serious trouble. I DID like working there, until I saw what management was doing.

2. "YNHH vision and philosophy"

I worked at Yale New Haven Hospital full-time

Pros

excellent academic surgeons with exemplary department leadership

Cons

The highest level of management are non clinicians. Very top heavy, excessive vice president and management positions, with ridiculous salaries in relation to their knowledge of quality patient care. YNHH is a big fish in a tiny pond.

Advice to Management

Remember why you are there.

3. "Medical assistant"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale New Haven Hospital (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay with annual increases. Accrued pto each pay period. Responsive managers. Flexibility and diverse opportunity. Excellent RNs and APRNs. Growing health care system which offers a variety of settings.

Cons

Health benefits too expensive, with high deductibles, copays. Mandatory union membership for medical assistants with payroll deductions every pay period. Parking cost high and off site, shuttle to campus.

Advice to Management

Management is very top heavy. Management needs to let the staff have more input in day to day operations of their units and not just make changes across the board without really knowing what is needed.

"Felt like a McDonalds of Healthcare: big brand name, poor quality. A patient mill."

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in New Haven, CT

Pros

The benefits are competitive. The pay is competitive for the market in CT. The facility itself is well-kept.

Cons

Cumbersome process for lateral transfers; recruiters in HR were all but useless, I thought. I worked in nursing and I wanted to switch from one specialty to another. I was advised that the best way to transition to my specialty of choice was to transition to another semi-related specialty first, even though my heart wasn't set on that and it would have just wasted money on training me. I ended up looking outside of the organization.

Also, the organization nickels and dimes employees through payroll deduction and parking fees. They also routinely ask for you, the employee, to donate to the hospital. Hartford and Middlesex do not do this.

Lastly, too many chiefs, not enough indians. The nursing units constantly run with an excess of managers and assistant managers and an acute shortage of floor staff. Not a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Revamp your HR and recruiting departments. They're terrible.

5. "There's a reason they pay well u earn it"

I worked at Yale New Haven Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary stable company can sometimes move between departments will hire students

Cons

Staff backstabbing favorites are promoted no accountability no support for staff demands get higher

Advice to Management

Completely out of touch too good to do patient direct care in meetings about meetings told about problems and nothing gets done

"Work somewhere else"

Former Employee - Clinical Nurse in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Clinical Nurse in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale New Haven Hospital full-time

Pros

Love working with kids
    Three day work weeks
    It's a teaching hospital so there are lots of wonderful learning opportunities
    Family centered rounds

Cons

Management cares more about appearances than patient care
    No ratios
    Parking is far and in a dangerous area to walk though
    Pay isn't good

Advice to Management

Better staffing, better treatment of nurses

"you gotta really love what you do to deal with bs....."

Current Employee - Clinical Technician
    Current Employee - Clinical Technician

Pros

Benefits, coworkers, non typical monday through friday. working with patients, helping patients feel better

Cons

one person of many- no individuality, non negotiable wages, poor compensation for stressful and very physical work, constant budget strains, RN centered environment. schedule is always changing, swing shifts. will not change schedule for school or childcare

Advice to Management

treat all members of staff with same respect

"I used to love this place...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale New Haven Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very diverse, friendly atmosphere, decent benefits, location

Cons

Poor Mgmt, unorganized. Employees are not compensated fairly or equally.Policies are inconsistent, they make up rules as they go. They adhere to certain standards and pay scales, however within those scales compensation varies widely for all the wrong reasons. The unfairness and inequities are astonishing.

Rarely are there opportunities for advancement unless you are in an entry level position.

Advice to Management

Instead of focusing all of your attention on clinical areas, pay more attention to the administrative side. There are issues there as well.

"Good luck with Yale"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale New Haven Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

cut throat, liars, throw you under the bus

Advice to Management

stick up for your employees when you know they have done nothing wrong.