Yale University Press Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
John Donatich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great experience"

Pros

Everyone you work with is really friendly and good at what they do. If you're new to publishing, you learn a lot about the inner workings without the cutthroat nature of some other presses.

Cons

Not much to say about actual work. It's a good organization, just not in the greatest location.

2. "Old school publisher that keeps alive the romance of the book"

I worked at Yale University Press full-time

Pros

Employees are very passionate about the product and the brand. Some departments stand out as exceptionally talented for what is a small, non-profit publisher. I've seen larger publishers who can only dream of achieving similar levels of product quality or public acclaim. Staff is friendly and collegial.

Cons

Sadly, it is non-profit so the monetary compensation is below market relative to peers in NYC. In addition, the heavy hand of the university's administration can be an impediment to achieving greater revenue due to the conflicting mandates of the university and the Press. Staff is very experienced but many in key positions are nearing retirement age and a lot of institutional knowledge could potentially walk out of the door.

Advice to Management

Wherever and whenever possible, promote from within because there is the potential for a succession crisis in the next few years.

3. "Pleasant and Professional Freelance Client"

Former Freelancer - Freelance Copywriter in Peterborough, NH
    Former Freelancer - Freelance Copywriter in Peterborough, NH

I worked at Yale University Press (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, straightforward, and responsive as a freelance client.

Cons

A bit lacking in terms of guidance and feedback, it was not always clear if the work I was turning in was good, bad, or simply adequate.

Advice to Management

Offer a bit more feedback for first-time freelancers.

4. "Great learning experience, but sometimes tough to get through the day"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New Haven, CT
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University Press as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interns were given lunch every Wednesday where a different staff member gave a lecture on their career path/role at Yale Press/future advice. It was very helpful and interesting - and the lunch they gave us was great. You are also right in the heart of New Haven and surrounded by such a prestigious institution. They really put you to work if you want to learn a lot about publishing. It was an overall excellent learning experience.

Cons

Little to none face to face interactions between interns and full-time staff. All orders/tasks were made via email despite being only footsteps apart. Awkward/quiet vibe. If you want interaction and noise, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more interaction between the supervisors and their interns. The day is hard to get through without it. Besides for that, great learning experience for those interested in the publishing industry.

5. "For once decently-paying publishing internship!"

Former Intern - Intern in New Haven, CT
    Former Intern - Intern in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University Press as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're a Yale student working during the school year, you will be paid a decently hourly wage. Summer interns have it much worse and get ripped off compared to the fair wages school year interns get, so be thankful for that. The work is constantly interesting (lots of rejections and corresponding with readers) and it's a nice company to have on your resume. You learn about the list of the editor you work for, perform research, and gain experience. You get to see Yale Press books before they are published, and learn about the academic review process. Flexible hours you work out one-on-one with your editorial assistant or editor.

Cons

Summer interns make very little. I would not work here for less than minimum wage. The clerical tasks you must do (e.g. filing, copying) can get a little repetitive, but are standard intern fare. Interns must share computers, which can become dicey when all computers are full. The office does not have an especially friendly or inviting atmosphere. In fact, it seems a little cold, though my direct supervisor was nice.

Advice to Management

Tell interns not to leave personal effects or keep themselves logged in to computers when they leave for multiple hours at a time. I worked here for a long time, and this was a major sticking point, since there were a few with little etiquette about the shared space.

6. "Great student job, very nice"

Former Employee - Student Intern in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Student Intern in New Haven, CT

Pros

The press was flexible, friendly, and allowed me to work from the comfort of my own home rather than come into the press. Great work to life balance as well.

Cons

- The biggest con of this job was the lack of communication. At times it was hard to tell what was going on and members of the team could be hard to reach. That being said, this was not a huge problem and the pros make up for it (trust me!)

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate. Mostly keep doing what you're doing though. I think some cool things are coming through the press and it's a great place to work.

7. "Great community, interesting work"

Former Intern - Art Workshop in New Haven, CT
    Former Intern - Art Workshop in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University Press as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kind, friendly, cheerful people who really care about their work and each other. Fun and interesting projects, books often win CAA and other awards

Cons

Living in New Haven (but really, it's not half bad!) can't speak too much to benefits etc since I was an intern.

8. "Great place to work"

Pros

Everyone in the office is very friendly. Work gets done on-time, great work-life balance. There are lots of learning opportunities and bosses give helpful feedback. A very pleasant experience.

Cons

The departments are a little disjointed. Each department (at least mine) was functioning smoothly, but when it came to bringing departments together, I feel like management could have done a better job.

9. "An interesting experience"

Current Employee - Summer Intern in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University Press full-time

Pros

Good work / life balance. They provided weekly lunches for us to get to know how the press runs and the interactions between the different entities that make up the press.

Cons

Completed a lot of grunt work. The stipend did not compensate for the amount of work completed. The internship program was kind of unorganized.

Advice to Management

Consider making the internship program part-time so interns have the opportunity to get a part time job as well.

10. "Great internship opportunity"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in New Haven, CT
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University Press as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was an intern and it was a great experience; I feel like I really learned skills that will be useful to me later. It was really cool to be around so many people that seem to really care about books. There's a real sense of commitment to making sure interns actually learn and acquire skills. It's not a fetching-coffee internship.

Cons

We were only compensated a thousand dollars for eleven weeks of work, which at that point is basically a formality.