Yammer Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Yammer CEO David Sacks
David Sacks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Family friendly, good work/life balance and support (in 8 reviews)

• Great people who genuinely care about building a product that changes the way people work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The web product hasn't changed much since the acquisition in 2012, though the iphone and android app have improved a lot (in 3 reviews)

• I understand why the execs did it, but I think we could have gone farther on our own and would have kept up the momentum and great culture (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yammer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Really smart team that values collaboration, but also everyone's unique expertise
    -Product team is focused on learning and failing, experimenting with process as well as features. Takes a holistic approach to product development usage trends, A/B testing, user research, competitive/market trends, and long term strategy.
    -Lots of opportunities to have your voice heard and influence the way things are done
    -Great people. Healthy debate is part of the culture, but it's all respectful and people are invested in cultivating great working relationships
    -Management is genuinely invested in your happiness and growth
    -Values diversity and inclusion. There are concerted efforts for recruiting and retention of diverse candidates, and several groups including Women at Microsoft and Blacks at Microsoft put on great events
    -Values forming relationships in the community. We have outreach and partnerships with many different non-profits in mid-market and the Tenderloin, with lots of opportunity to get involved
    -Ability to learn from Microsoft and access resources and opportunities, without being embedded in the Microsoft culture. Yammer still maintains a lot of independence
    -Relaxed working hours. Flexible and reasonable.

Cons

Not many I can think of. Experience on the product team has been great.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in people. People are happy when they're growing.

2. "Excellent Company"

I have been working at Yammer full-time

Pros

Start up spirit with big corp support

Cons

have to use/incorporate microsoft services/software

Advice to Management

Recent london office spin off is a bad move from multiple perspectives. We lost expertise, oncall help, and stability. Plus it hammered big on our moral. I would like the senior management to communicate these decisions to all staff before making the final decision.

3. "Fantastic team and culture"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yammer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at Yammer is great -- very open and transparent, driven and excited but not going crazy over work, and fun. Post Microsoft acquisition, I feel that Yammer's culture has evolved from being more tech-bro-y in the past to more mature and inclusive.

Yammer also combines a startup atmosphere, dynamism and modern product development processes and philosophies with the security and professionalism of Microsoft.

Most of all, though, I enjoy working at Yammer because of the team. Everyone I've interacted with is truly nice, fun, and also driven to learning and improving -- including helping others. Particularly our product organization is very thoughtful about how we "do product", which makes it a fantastic environment for personal professional development.

Cons

Sometimes, working with teams in the rest of Microsoft can be challenging, since they work in different ways (e.g., they have much longer lead times for feature releases).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Make sure to stick to the Yammer values of openness, connecting across the organization, and working out loud.

4. "Struggling with MS Integrations"

Pros

Yammer does a lot to empower it's employees. It provides an excellent place to grow both personally and professionally. There is a really broad reach of work for employees to engage with. Management at yammer works very hard to enable its employees and takes seriously the idea that it is the ICs that are adding value to the company

Cons

Integration with microsoft has been hard and has really started to circumscribe Yammer as a business. Decisions went from being user-facing to being corporate-facing, including a lot of problematic and poorly-conceived integration projects with Office 365. A lot of the hungry employees have left post-acquisition.

Advice to Management

Push back on O365 integration, and get them aligned on what is really driving value for the company.

5. "Awesome office"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Best engineering minds to work along with. Perfect balance of work life.

Cons

None really. May be MS could focus better on single point of agenda instead of having multiple products.

6. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A group of creative individuals looking to make communication fun and easy - twitter for the work place. The CEO, David Sacks, is an amazing leader.

Cons

I haven't worked at Yammer in years so I have nothing but love. When I did work at Yammer, I loved it. I had to leave to take care of my children and it was a very difficult decision to make.

Advice to Management

I don't feel it's appropriate for me to dole out any advice to Management, I've been gone too long and the company was purchased by Microsoft.

"User Experience Designer"

Pros

* Wonderful people. Some of the best people I've ever worked with. Smart, friendly, easy-going.

* Great work/life balance. Low drama environment leads to a pleasant workday. The company is mostly not-deadline driven, so the pace of work is rarely breakneck.

* Management is generous and easy to get along with.

* No email to deal with. Nobody in Yammer sends each other email. Everyone uses Yammer, which is better than email.

* Total compensation is generous

* Almost nobody uses Windows at a Microsoft-owned company -- all laptops are Macs

* Gorgeous huge spacious office

* Generously stocked food, free lunch and dinner.

* Fun hackdays & offsites

Cons

* The product is stagnant. Too many competing product goals make big improvements nearly impossible. Local maxima was long ago acheived. Projects drag out too long, the pace of improvement is glacial.

* The web product hasn't changed much since the acquisition in 2012, though the iphone and android app have improved a lot.

* The product has some significant persistent bugs that make it feel somewhat unprofessional to use, bugs that are so expensive to fix that the engineering org is unwilling to invest in fixing them.

* There's a certain amount of subtle background disdain for Microsoft among some Yammer employees. This is understandable to a degree, given MSFT's arcane bureaucracy.

* The culture has experienced a slow motion death-by-a-thousand-cuts since the acquisition in 2012. It's still a great culture, still much better than most office environments, but the culture is slowly eroding.

* Morale is very quietly pretty low -- lots of new hires are required to replace all the people who are leaving.

"Pretty Lucky"

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is a little late but better late than never. My time at Yammer was multi-layered. It was a company with an amazing product that was well-excuted. It out-performed all of the competitors and I genuinely smile when I think about selling this amazing software creation.

Like any top startup in the Bay Area (and Yammer was one of them) we had a landslide of perks. It blew my mind and the mind of every person I told who was not privy to the tech world and its benefits. I'm pretty grateful that I landed there and I would recommend employment if you genuinely like social media and transparent communication.

Cons

There were a lot of cons too, I admit. It was stressful. But the cons did not outweigh the pros by any standard. It took some time to reflect on the negatives but now I think that it only served me in that it helped me understand what I really want. I'm glad for the experience although, I will miss the gourmet dinners and the $800 fitness subsidy! Hopefully they have more stability there now since some time has passed since the acquisition.

Advice to Management

None. Ya done good management.

9. "Marketing Manager"

Pros

amazing company and leadership, benefits

Cons

microsoft doesn't understand the value of enterprise social

10. "Best job ever!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people and culture! Engineering leaders especially were very introspective and constantly trying to improve their process and the experience of their employees.

Cons

None I can think of