Yammer Reviews | Glassdoor

David Sacks

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A group of creative individuals looking to make communication fun and easy - twitter for the work place. The CEO, David Sacks, is an amazing leader.

Cons

I haven't worked at Yammer in years so I have nothing but love. When I did work at Yammer, I loved it. I had to leave to take care of my children and it was a very difficult decision to make.

Advice to Management

I don't feel it's appropriate for me to dole out any advice to Management, I've been gone too long and the company was purchased by Microsoft.

2. "Struggling with MS Integrations"

Pros

Yammer does a lot to empower it's employees. It provides an excellent place to grow both personally and professionally. There is a really broad reach of work for employees to engage with. Management at yammer works very hard to enable its employees and takes seriously the idea that it is the ICs that are adding value to the company

Cons

Integration with microsoft has been hard and has really started to circumscribe Yammer as a business. Decisions went from being user-facing to being corporate-facing, including a lot of problematic and poorly-conceived integration projects with Office 365. A lot of the hungry employees have left post-acquisition.

Advice to Management

Push back on O365 integration, and get them aligned on what is really driving value for the company.

3. "Awesome office"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Best engineering minds to work along with. Perfect balance of work life.

Cons

None really. May be MS could focus better on single point of agenda instead of having multiple products.

"User Experience Designer"

Pros

* Wonderful people. Some of the best people I've ever worked with. Smart, friendly, easy-going.

* Great work/life balance. Low drama environment leads to a pleasant workday. The company is mostly not-deadline driven, so the pace of work is rarely breakneck.

* Management is generous and easy to get along with.

* No email to deal with. Nobody in Yammer sends each other email. Everyone uses Yammer, which is better than email.

* Total compensation is generous

* Almost nobody uses Windows at a Microsoft-owned company -- all laptops are Macs

* Gorgeous huge spacious office

* Generously stocked food, free lunch and dinner.

* Fun hackdays & offsites

Cons

* The product is stagnant. Too many competing product goals make big improvements nearly impossible. Local maxima was long ago acheived. Projects drag out too long, the pace of improvement is glacial.

* The web product hasn't changed much since the acquisition in 2012, though the iphone and android app have improved a lot.

* The product has some significant persistent bugs that make it feel somewhat unprofessional to use, bugs that are so expensive to fix that the engineering org is unwilling to invest in fixing them.

* There's a certain amount of subtle background disdain for Microsoft among some Yammer employees. This is understandable to a degree, given MSFT's arcane bureaucracy.

* The culture has experienced a slow motion death-by-a-thousand-cuts since the acquisition in 2012. It's still a great culture, still much better than most office environments, but the culture is slowly eroding.

* Morale is very quietly pretty low -- lots of new hires are required to replace all the people who are leaving.

"Pretty Lucky"

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is a little late but better late than never. My time at Yammer was multi-layered. It was a company with an amazing product that was well-excuted. It out-performed all of the competitors and I genuinely smile when I think about selling this amazing software creation.

Like any top startup in the Bay Area (and Yammer was one of them) we had a landslide of perks. It blew my mind and the mind of every person I told who was not privy to the tech world and its benefits. I'm pretty grateful that I landed there and I would recommend employment if you genuinely like social media and transparent communication.

Cons

There were a lot of cons too, I admit. It was stressful. But the cons did not outweigh the pros by any standard. It took some time to reflect on the negatives but now I think that it only served me in that it helped me understand what I really want. I'm glad for the experience although, I will miss the gourmet dinners and the $800 fitness subsidy! Hopefully they have more stability there now since some time has passed since the acquisition.

Advice to Management

None. Ya done good management.

7. "Marketing Manager"

Pros

amazing company and leadership, benefits

Cons

microsoft doesn't understand the value of enterprise social

8. "Best job ever!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people and culture! Engineering leaders especially were very introspective and constantly trying to improve their process and the experience of their employees.

Cons

None I can think of

9. "Genuinely love my job"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Yammer full-time

Pros

Laid-back, smart culture that gets things done.
    Competitive salaries, benefits and perks (free food, etc.)
    Great work/ life balance.
    Benefits of Microsoft, but they generally leave Yammer to operate separately.
    Get to bring my dog to work everyday.

Cons

Microsoft isn't perceived as cool.
    Too late to IPO or be acquired and reap the stock benefits

"A deluge of deluded, arrogant yuppies."

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance cannot be beat at Microsoft. Yammer and all of the other Startups that claim you can take days off when you need it is of the upmost BS.

Compensation, once again, was terrific once Microsoft came along. But I suspect that's because they were trying to assuage us poor little orphans that they had already planned to let go quite some time ago.

Outsourced Institutional Training. I have no wisecracks about this one. Pretty formidable training here.

Incredible Product. I'm not sure who exactly to give credit to for this save for the CEO David Sacks. He's an eccentric, weirdo who puts on white face with Snoop Dog. But hey, he's a genius so he gets away with it. Great, great product. One that I thought was literally the best after trying all other competitors' product.

Lots and lots of booze, food, extracurricular activities and outlets.

Benefits were more than fair and quite extravagant. Thanks Microsoft.

Cons

Yammer and all of the other laddish-infused tech startups that mirror it is a great place to work: If you have yet to graduate psychologically from high school. Harsh? Perhaps. Hyperbole? Sadly, for all of us who have to deal with the Yammer-like-ilk, no. For those in the know--or if you have a pulse and live in the Bay Area--it isn't a surprise to you that there is a great deal of animosity towards the tech companies.

In their hubris-induced states (which is fueled by a perpetual, collective effort by all who work there and built on a foundation of willful ignorance) they cannot fathom why the tech world gets so much flak. Gee, it's such a mystery! They are so delusional in their pathology that it is no wonder they are blind to the ire they evoke.

It's like they've all been infected with the 28-Days-Later-Dunning-Kruger virus. The vast majority have NO experience in consultative sales yet they prance around, foaming about the mouth, as if they are Ricky Roma incarnate. Fake it 'til you make it you say? Wrong. Not if you want intrinsic, nuanced, complex sales folk on your team. This of course led to insecurity, high-tension, uncertainty, unhealthy competitiveness and lack of team bonding to name a few.
    Don't even get me started on management. Good Gawd. Most were just as sophomoric or, if not that, nauseatingly pretentious. The great ones jumped ship of course.

The reviewer below says it best..."In my entire career I've never been in an environment full of so much ego and pretentiousness." IMHO, if you start off with or reach the tipping point of this egotastic sub-culture you can kiss your sales-mojo goodbye. Don't believe me? Check out the reviews for just ONE company that many Yammer employees flocked to: Fuzebox.

I gape at the floundering beast that is the nepotistic, startup world.

Advice to Management

Study up on what goes into hiring a natural born sales person. Heck, I did it. The answers are out there. But that's not the hard part. The hard part is actually hiring those that have those traits. They are not going to look like the people on your team now.

"Best place I ever worked"

Pros

Smart, helpful, caring people
    Open, honest, supportive, humble culture, good place to spend my working days
    Ability to make a big impact with the product and help people and companies work better
    Startup mindset (user focus, experimentation, growth, use of open source tools and community) with big company backing
    Family friendly, good work/life balance and support
    Community involvement

Cons

Sometimes the Microsoft tools (expenses, etc.) get in our way, but we have full control of our day to day tools

Advice to Management

Support Yammer and keep the culture going, keep improving the rest of Microsoft