Yammer Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Yammer CEO David Sacks
David Sacks

1. "Fantastic team and culture"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yammer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at Yammer is great -- very open and transparent, driven and excited but not going crazy over work, and fun. Post Microsoft acquisition, I feel that Yammer's culture has evolved from being more tech-bro-y in the past to more mature and inclusive.

Yammer also combines a startup atmosphere, dynamism and modern product development processes and philosophies with the security and professionalism of Microsoft.

Most of all, though, I enjoy working at Yammer because of the team. Everyone I've interacted with is truly nice, fun, and also driven to learning and improving -- including helping others. Particularly our product organization is very thoughtful about how we "do product", which makes it a fantastic environment for personal professional development.

Cons

Sometimes, working with teams in the rest of Microsoft can be challenging, since they work in different ways (e.g., they have much longer lead times for feature releases).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Make sure to stick to the Yammer values of openness, connecting across the organization, and working out loud.

2. "Awesome office"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Best engineering minds to work along with. Perfect balance of work life.

Cons

None really. May be MS could focus better on single point of agenda instead of having multiple products.

3. "Great Company"

I worked at Yammer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A group of creative individuals looking to make communication fun and easy - twitter for the work place. The CEO, David Sacks, is an amazing leader.

Cons

I haven't worked at Yammer in years so I have nothing but love. When I did work at Yammer, I loved it. I had to leave to take care of my children and it was a very difficult decision to make.

Advice to Management

I don't feel it's appropriate for me to dole out any advice to Management, I've been gone too long and the company was purchased by Microsoft.

"Pretty Lucky"

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is a little late but better late than never. My time at Yammer was multi-layered. It was a company with an amazing product that was well-excuted. It out-performed all of the competitors and I genuinely smile when I think about selling this amazing software creation.

Like any top startup in the Bay Area (and Yammer was one of them) we had a landslide of perks. It blew my mind and the mind of every person I told who was not privy to the tech world and its benefits. I'm pretty grateful that I landed there and I would recommend employment if you genuinely like social media and transparent communication.

Cons

There were a lot of cons too, I admit. It was stressful. But the cons did not outweigh the pros by any standard. It took some time to reflect on the negatives but now I think that it only served me in that it helped me understand what I really want. I'm glad for the experience although, I will miss the gourmet dinners and the $800 fitness subsidy! Hopefully they have more stability there now since some time has passed since the acquisition.

Advice to Management

None. Ya done good management.

6. "Best job ever!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people and culture! Engineering leaders especially were very introspective and constantly trying to improve their process and the experience of their employees.

Cons

None I can think of

"A deluge of deluded, arrogant yuppies."

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance cannot be beat at Microsoft. Yammer and all of the other Startups that claim you can take days off when you need it is of the upmost BS.

Compensation, once again, was terrific once Microsoft came along. But I suspect that's because they were trying to assuage us poor little orphans that they had already planned to let go quite some time ago.

Outsourced Institutional Training. I have no wisecracks about this one. Pretty formidable training here.

Incredible Product. I'm not sure who exactly to give credit to for this save for the CEO David Sacks. He's an eccentric, weirdo who puts on white face with Snoop Dog. But hey, he's a genius so he gets away with it. Great, great product. One that I thought was literally the best after trying all other competitors' product.

Lots and lots of booze, food, extracurricular activities and outlets.

Benefits were more than fair and quite extravagant. Thanks Microsoft.

Cons

Yammer and all of the other laddish-infused tech startups that mirror it is a great place to work: If you have yet to graduate psychologically from high school. Harsh? Perhaps. Hyperbole? Sadly, for all of us who have to deal with the Yammer-like-ilk, no. For those in the know--or if you have a pulse and live in the Bay Area--it isn't a surprise to you that there is a great deal of animosity towards the tech companies.

In their hubris-induced states (which is fueled by a perpetual, collective effort by all who work there and built on a foundation of willful ignorance) they cannot fathom why the tech world gets so much flak. Gee, it's such a mystery! They are so delusional in their pathology that it is no wonder they are blind to the ire they evoke.

It's like they've all been infected with the 28-Days-Later-Dunning-Kruger virus. The vast majority have NO experience in consultative sales yet they prance around, foaming about the mouth, as if they are Ricky Roma incarnate. Fake it 'til you make it you say? Wrong. Not if you want intrinsic, nuanced, complex sales folk on your team. This of course led to insecurity, high-tension, uncertainty, unhealthy competitiveness and lack of team bonding to name a few.
    Don't even get me started on management. Good Gawd. Most were just as sophomoric or, if not that, nauseatingly pretentious. The great ones jumped ship of course.

The reviewer below says it best..."In my entire career I've never been in an environment full of so much ego and pretentiousness." IMHO, if you start off with or reach the tipping point of this egotastic sub-culture you can kiss your sales-mojo goodbye. Don't believe me? Check out the reviews for just ONE company that many Yammer employees flocked to: Fuzebox.

I gape at the floundering beast that is the nepotistic, startup world.

Advice to Management

Study up on what goes into hiring a natural born sales person. Heck, I did it. The answers are out there. But that's not the hard part. The hard part is actually hiring those that have those traits. They are not going to look like the people on your team now.

"Don't work at Yammer"

I worked at Yammer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly I don't really have anything positive to say about this company. In my entire career I've never been in an environment full of so much ego and pretentiousness.

Cons

They marginalize their staff. Their CTO has no integrity, he's a terrible leader. They have no loyalty. They will take advantage of you every opportunity the get. They're elitists.

Advice to Management

If I could give one piece of advice to Yammer management it would be to invest in some leadership training.

9. "Fun workplace, good people"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Office is fun and has an open atmosphere. I felt the company and employees genuinely believe in the culture. I got to work on a variety of projects with little unnecessary overhead.

Cons

As an intern, I would have benefited from closer management and more explicit mentoring. Switching between projects sometimes caused an increased workload for a while.

Advice to Management

Try to more explicitly assign a mentor to new employees.

10. "Fun youthful place to work."

Former Contractor - QA Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - QA Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yammer as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

People are really nice and positive. There are many learning opportunities, great perks and a beautiful environment.

Cons

Lacks some structure and organization. Process is a little sloppy. Most people come from small companies and startup environments so lacking enterprise experience. The food and beer and parties can be distracting and not the best fit for quieter more work oriented folks.

11. "Great place to work with great people"

I worked at Yammer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture like I've never experienced before. Everyone was smart, passionate, and worked hard, which created a really fun environment. Going to work was fun, not a drag like it becomes after awhile at other places.

Cons

Being acquired by Microsoft. I understand why the execs did it, but I think we could have gone farther on our own and would have kept up the momentum and great culture. Now it's a completely different place to work then it was a private company, still a great place, just not a start-up anymore.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency :)