Yankee Candle Reviews | Glassdoor

Hope Margala

"Stressful and Deceiving"

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The customers, for the most part, are amazing. You meet a lot of regulars and form an incredible bond over fragrances. The product is great and easy to sell. The job itself is simple, for the most part.

Cons

Corporate expects a lot of their staff without the pay or support to get it done. Generally, you work alone and have a laundry list of tasks. They rate your ability on pointless stats, like how many phone and emails customers will give you, and demand you to make ridiculous sales goals that grow each year. Expectations are uncomfortable and constantly growing. Veteran staff is generally two-faced and gossip about one another all the time. If you're still in high school, perfect. If you're graduating and actually want to leave high school when you walk off campus, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

I don't know that you can fix all that's wrong with this company.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount was better than average

Cons

Unlawfully dismissed employees. No feedback, no support, impossible goals and overly stringent guidelines. There are much better places to work for that don't, for example, force managers to use vacation hours so they can schedule more than single coverage during the holiday season.

Advice to Management

I don't think this is fixable.

3. "Good work poorly Managed"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glouster Landing, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glouster Landing, NJ

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers were kind for the most

Cons

Hard on your back
    turns out candles are heavy

Advice to Management

learn how to work with different personality types

"Seek Employment Elsewhere"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discount on candles, very thorough training program provides the tools and resources to be successful. Great place to be employed if you don't have a life outside of work.

Cons

Everything from ethically vacant business practices
    to unrealistic payroll budgets. Unreasonable expectations placed on employees. Managers are often forced to work alone for the sake of saving payroll dollars. Salaries and benefits are below industry standards for the volume and type of work expected.

Advice to Management

Looks like corporate greed has gotten the best of you too over the years. Consider being more generous to your underpaid and overworked managers and employees. Better yet, all upper management should be required to work in your stores for extended periods of time ...let's see how you perform under the rigorous demands and over the top expectations.

5. "2nd Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service in Lees Summit, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service in Lees Summit, MO

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time

Pros

Get good employee discount on everything that smells. Customers were very nice. I loved all the beautiful smells. And a lot of good deals most of the time.

Cons

This was not a good place to work. Everyone seemed depressed not happy to be there. Made it hard to enjoying the nice smells with all the negativity. Come to find out I was the 4th person to quit in over a month.

Advice to Management

Know how to treat your employees. Make them happy to be there. Yankee Candles is a company with good smells great products. you say your number 1 in Visual as a manager you were the worst I ever seen in my 32 years

"Fired After 1 Day"

Former Employee - Store Associate in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job seemed like it would be good exercise, since I was told that we would be expected to be on our feet all day.

Cons

The first day consisted of watching training videos and greeting customers. I was told to come back two days later for my next work day. The next day, I received a call saying I was fired for not showing up to work. I explained that I was told to show up the following day. The manager hung up on me, and I never heard anything again. This was my first job, and I was only 16, so being fired didn’t matter that much. However, I can’t imagine being fired like that if you have a family or other responsibilities.

I remember that the manager working there was a lady in her 40s who had been there a decade. I can't imagine wasting a decade at a place like this!

Advice to Management

Management won't change. My advice to job seekers is to read the reviews first and try to get in with a good company like Costco or Trader Joes.

"This Wheel Is Still Square"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Yankee Candle (More than a year)

Pros

Decent discount on Yankee Candle fragrance products, longevity of its tenured employees

Cons

Below industry standards salary for management and minimum wage pay for sales associates; labor demands and payroll hours are not realistic or in alignment; antiquated POS system, software and most informative job related training tools are outdated and not purged; Phantom shops that are used to determine guest experience have been fabricated by paid participants and proven as such upon inspection and review; inconsistent directives and promotional changes to often impede upon proactive planning, scheduling and labor control due to company's reactive decisions at the last minute instead of being proactive in the sales and promotional approach; lack of diversity within the company for persons of color [except supporting management/sales roles] in key decision making roles, upper management or training and development; cult-like candle culture is a disturbing as terms such as "fandles" are used; massive shipments delivered and not specific to needs of the store's demands, location specifics, sell-through or storage space; District Managers seem to be passive aggressive egomaniacs unlike the Regional Managers; there is no work/life balance which is often suggested but with the impromptu decision-making of the corporate offices to surprise employees with an emergency floor-set or coupon blast to boost conversion and sales that counteracts employees having a quality balance when it seems one must live and breathe all things Yankee or be reviewed as unadaptable to change; paper waste and nothing recycled; long shifts with only one employee present due to labor constraints which places them at possible risk and is not loss prevention conscious to control keeping all eyes on large quantities of guest who enter/exit as they can't receive attentive service when you're one person doing the job of a team.

Advice to Management

Invest in new POS technology, update and make current your internal training and education materials, stop underestimating the power a pat on the back and "you are appreciated' can mean to every member of your dedicated employees [and mean it], keep your word, timelines and don't over promise and under deliver, lose the power tripping egos, have some humility, compensate employees for what they are worth, and remember people leave people NOT companies.

8. "team member"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Yankee Candle (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro is great discount

Cons

Upper Management is not trustworthy

"In IT and want a fulfilling career? -- Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Senior IT Professional in South Deerfield, MA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Professional in South Deerfield, MA

I worked at Yankee Candle (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dedicated group of Full-time IT professionals trying to do their best given the circumstances.

Decent discount on Yankee branded items and other Newell owned products. No other pros i can think of.

Cons

The ever shrinking IT department, but with growing responsibilities. Little to no resources everywhere. Expected to complete fairly complex projects with a gum, shoestring and duct tape mentality (you'll have to provide the gum, shoestrings and tape). Sometimes you can complete the projects as a team, other times it's just yourself with very little planning and preparation.

Skilled IT professionals have to spend their time to perform the "helpdesk" level tasks that should be completed from the helpdesk. The newer helpdesk are not properly trained. There is no accountability, and it's a continual "fire fight" daily everywhere.

Management are overall good people, but can't make decisions when needed if at all. Most of the time their hands are tied by higher management or the parent company so nothing gets accomplished.

When qualified full time people leave, they are normally replaced by consultants with very little skills or not much vested interest into the company. Which in turn frustrates the remaining full time people till the point they leave, and the cycle continues.

I left on my own accord... lack of work/life balance. I could go on, but there really is no point.

If I could give 0 stars, I would!

Advice to Management

For a "Billion" dollar company, where's the reinvestment into your departments to help it grow?

"candle maker"

Former Employee - Production Worker in Chicopee, MA
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Chicopee, MA

I worked at Yankee Candle (More than a year)

Pros

there are no pros the about yankee candle

Cons

they work everyone like a dog there for little money

Advice to Management

learn how to treat everyone decent and not like a robot