Yankee Candle Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

"Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working with candles and helping customers find their perfect scent. I also have great co workers that I really enjoy working with.

Cons

The pay isn't worth the amount of work you do. When it comes time for a raise they are some of the smallest raises I've seen in my experience in retail.

"2nd Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time

Pros

Discount. Sometimes working with great people.

Cons

Upper management. No desire to retain good employees. Micro managing. Under paid for amount of physical labor required. If promoted from within, salary lower than if hired from "outside." The Yankee Candle "family" no longer exists.

Advice to Management

Remember where your "roots" are. Your losing your "base." (People who love your product, use the product, and work for Y.C. because of the people who work there.) You can buy a candle anywhere.

"In IT and want a fulfilling career? -- Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Senior IT Professional in South Deerfield, MA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Professional in South Deerfield, MA

I worked at Yankee Candle (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dedicated group of Full-time IT professionals trying to do their best given the circumstances.

Decent discount on Yankee branded items and other Newell owned products. No other pros i can think of.

Cons

The ever shrinking IT department, but with growing responsibilities. Little to no resources everywhere. Expected to complete fairly complex projects with a gum, shoestring and duct tape mentality (you'll have to provide the gum, shoestrings and tape). Sometimes you can complete the projects as a team, other times it's just yourself with very little planning and preparation.

Skilled IT professionals have to spend their time to perform the "helpdesk" level tasks that should be completed from the helpdesk. The newer helpdesk are not properly trained. There is no accountability, and it's a continual "fire fight" daily everywhere.

Management are overall good people, but can't make decisions when needed if at all. Most of the time their hands are tied by higher management or the parent company so nothing gets accomplished.

When qualified full time people leave, they are normally replaced by consultants with very little skills or not much vested interest into the company. Which in turn frustrates the remaining full time people till the point they leave, and the cycle continues.

I left on my own accord... lack of work/life balance. I could go on, but there really is no point.

If I could give 0 stars, I would!

Advice to Management

For a "Billion" dollar company, where's the reinvestment into your departments to help it grow?

"No longer the Yankee Candle we all loved"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Lynch Station, VA
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Lynch Station, VA

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Started in new store as ASM. Good pay and benefits. Promoted to SM with only a minor raise and no increase in benefits from ASM. Customer loyalty is nice. All staff works very hard to please customers.

Cons

Low salary for full time ( 45+ hrs/week) store manager with low payroll budgets for the store to pay a meager staff. No backroom storage no Backdoor for deliveries. 3 large shipments per week and no off site storage yet not allowed to have boxes on floor!!!! No budget to hire adequate staff to work shipments and store resets. New district managers from OTHER companies who have no idea what the original Yankee Candle was like. It's all about the NEW YCC which they call the "billion dollar global candle company" yet with all the billions the store staff only gets a 1% annual increase! Company as a whole is not meeting their own financial expectations! Managers duties and responsibilities are set very high yet morale is very low! Very Sad! Did NOT used to be this way!

Advice to Management

Realize that BIGGER is not always better! Remember YCCs original heritage and keep it!!! Otherwise change the name from our beloved Yankee Candle! This is NOT the same company at all! It's now owned by Rubbermaid and Jarden Corp.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irmo, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irmo, SC

I have been working at Yankee Candle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of pros to this job, The atmosphere is a great place to work in the people and management are wonderful. Everyone gets along, The benefits and the knowledge you gain from working there is one of a kind.

Cons

There sometimes aren't enough hours and the time that hours that are available are during the holiday time. Sometimes the higher up demands a lot of things which in any company you do but it seems when your ADS or Your LY is down they knock the whole company for it the put it on blast and that I think is a little discouraging.

Advice to Management

I have no advise to management because the manager I have he is always on point and he's great to work for.

"Retail Associate"

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Yankee Candle (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the public on a regular basis keeps the day upbeat and fresh. Variable schedule allows for a good work/home life balance.

Cons

Shortage of hours during non-holiday season. Large shipments during the holiday season to be broken down and stocked to shelves.

Advice to Management

Utilize input from line staff to a higher degree in various store layouts and how to better serve the customers.

"Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Turners Falls, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Turners Falls, MA

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quick and easy hiring process

Cons

Schedule is a nightmare if you have a family. First shift can start up to 1:00pm one day and 7:45 am the next.

Advice to Management

Have set schedules

8. "Absolutely loved it, Never wanted to leave"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newport News, VA

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have an awesome training process, I never had trouble catching on. All of my co-workers were so sweet & we had a good time working together. If I ever had a problem understanding something the coworkers & managers were quick to help me

Cons

Didn't ever inform me that my work was seasonal and that they'd be letting me off

9. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, NJ

I have been working at Yankee Candle (More than a year)

Pros

Good company, good management, I love my team

Cons

Just wish it paid more

"Love Yankee Candle"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked on and off as a retail associate at Yankee Candle on and off for about 5 years and I love it so much. It's so easy for me to sell the product because I believe in it. I always have 2+ candles going at my house. My co-workers are still of my best friends- we go mall walking every Sunday. The customers are great. I miss it, which always keeps me coming back.

Cons

If I could make enough money doing it, I would work at Yankee Candle full time as a First Assistant Manager.