Yanmar America Corp Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Tim Fernandez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great company that continues to grow year over year and provide opportunities for those who are engaged"

I have been working at Yanmar America Corp full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Best in Class Product, Excellent Benefits; Fantastic Work Life Balance; Year over Year Growth; Stable Employment for employees who want to engage (unfortunately too, for employees who are just putting in time); Opportunity to work for a company involved in a variety of different markets; Leadership’s Balanced Vision to support employees, customers and company health.

Cons

I have worked for 10 different organizations over the long course of my career beginning when I was a teenager; there really are no serious “I need to look for another job” cons working for YANMAR America. There are challenges, but the challenges are no different than most companies face. YANMAR America is not perfect, but overall, the company continues to move forward and our leadership is focused on ensuring we get there.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with innovative solutions and change to help our company meet our goals. I am proud to work for YANMAR America because I believe in our Vision, our Mission, our Product, my co-workers, our Leadership and the Solutions we are providing to the world. As there are two areas that are not included as an option for feedback, I will list them here: Advice to Prospective Candidates – If you want to make a difference and you are not afraid to put in the time and work, you can make a difference with YANMAR America. Advice to current and past employees who post negative comments: We will be, and situations will be what we think for the most part, and if that’s negative, then you will have negative outlook no matter what you are faced with, but if you approach opportunities with a positive mindset, then you can find purpose towards a better life at work and at home.

"Discouraging"

Pros

Great products and excellent distributors. Advancement opportunities. Benefits are fair, but pay for mid and lower level positions were low. Not sure about upper level pay.

Cons

Does not have good relationships with distributors. Dysfunctional. High turnover rate. Thus leading to low morale and distrust in management.

Advice to Management

Run away from arrogance. Learn to manage with humility. Listen to and work with your sales channels.

Apr 11, 2018 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. YANMAR America works very hard to provide the best possible experience for our customers and employees. It's difficult to get good perceptions from everyone 100% of the... More

"One of the places I have ever worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Adairsville, GA

I have been working at Yanmar America Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working at YANMAR. The job security is tops. We receive the highest number of vacation days and holidays (32 total in my first year!). The best thing is we are small enough for employees to make a difference but large enough to be a global player. There is a tremendous amount of opportunity here to develop and advance.

Cons

There are a few longer term employees who haven't got on board with the improvements. Their negativity needs to be managed.

Advice to Management

Please keep pushing forward. Hire hard so we get the best possible employees.

"Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at Yanmar America Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Yanmar America has many great things to offer employees. We have excellent holidays (17 to be exact), paid time off is great, and we have great benefits. Yanmar also has numerous employee events such as cookouts, a tailgate, and many more. Yanmar is a an exceptional company to be a part of as there are countless opportunities to move within the company and move upward in your career. The employees are great, management is helpful, and the company culture is very pleasant. I can honestly say I enjoy coming to work everyday. I am looking forward to what is in store for me here at Yanmar.

Cons

I do not have any negative comments regarding Yanmar America.

"Very employee focused company !"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Adairsville, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Adairsville, GA

I worked at Yanmar America Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Yanmar has always had fantastic time off, great holidays, wonderful benefits and a good 401k match.

Cons

Yanmar has really begun to grow and invest in it's future in North America! Yanmar sells a fantastic product and the current CEO has pushed the company to work harder and use new strategies for improved sales. The only con would be the computer systems but that can be fixed.

Advice to Management

Keep Yanmar strong. Utilize your internal talent. Keep hiring innovative team members.

Oct 20, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. YANMAR leadership works very hard to grow our company and provide stable opportunities for our people. In addition, we have very competitive benefit programs for our... More

"Lost"

I have been working at Yanmar America Corp full-time

Pros

Can't think of any to list

Cons

Total lack of leadership and no applicable vison

Oct 23, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. You obviously thought it through. YANMAR has experienced healthy growth over the past five years. This growth can only happen through planning and strategy. During... More

"I worked there several years and things got progressively worse."

I worked at Yanmar America Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really nice people that work there and if you love being micro managed this is the place for you.
    If you love public humiliation and being screamed at you have found you're perfect place.

Cons

Internal talent is all but ignored. Well that's unless you are a friend of the CEO and a man then you may have a chance. Another con and a complete deal breaker is the lack of computer system investment and how it's completely ignored. The numbers being reported cannot be trusted. Basically it's a manual system and everyone keeps all their work at their desk on their own spreadsheets. It's funny to me that they loose so much productivity and accuracy and care more about you being 1 minute late which results in 15 minutes of your PTO being used.
    Another con is the lack of any flexibility. Your house could literally burn down and if you exceed your allotted days off you will be written up/fired. Makes no sense.
    The CEO is a narcissist and cares for one person... Himself.

Advice to Management

Get with the current times and out of the dark ages. Stop treating salary employees like hourly employees.

"Would give it 0 stars if it weren't for the time off in December - stay away if you have other options"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative

I have been working at Yanmar America Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get more holidays than at other companies. The company has a good product, but without the right marketing and service support, it really does not matter as the competition is light years ahead and it will be impossible to catch up, much less get ahead so there is no future here.

Cons

Too many to keep to the word count allowed, but for starters I could mention inflexible, stale like old bread, behind the times (IT-wise), too far from the competition. Actually, the competition does not consider Yanmar competition, but Yanmar does (at least in the U.S). Racist, good old boy club; only those get of the right gender and skin color get promoted. Minorities are almost non-existent and the few here are relegated to menial jobs regardless of their talents. The president's style is to "lead" by intimidation and believes the employees should just feel so lucky to have a job at Yanamar (forget about a voice) . There is also an 8:00 to 5:00 mentally of micromanagement and if you don't abide, you are out even if you worked until 10:00 pm the night before or all weekend long. Turn over is high because while the products should take the company very high, management keeps it lower than ground level.

Advice to Management

You are in urgent need for change management and for a more diverse workforce to bring about change rather than keep doing what the good old boy club thinks is best because that is obviously not working out. Your next competitor came to the U.S at the same time you did and it is 10 times bigger already! Also, stop blaming Yanmar Japan for everything that goes wrong in the U.S. and take responsibility for once.

Aug 8, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback.

As you mentioned, YANMAR America does have a very generous time off policy. We recognize that your time outside of work is very valuable. This is why YANMAR... More

"A good place to build a long term career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Adairsville, GA

I have been working at Yanmar America Corp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Yanmar is a good place to work, it is challenging and the work is interesting. Especially, when you find out how much Yanmar is a respected part of the equipment and industrial world. There is opportunity to move around the company. Learning opportunities are available for all employees.

Cons

The one thing Yanmar has lost since it has grown larger is the sense of a small family company.

Advice to Management

Listen to the advice of the associates more.

"Headed In The Right Direction"

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Adairsville, GA
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Adairsville, GA

I have been working at Yanmar America Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Still small enough that you can get noticed. If you work hard , take initiative, you have opportunities to move up in this company. I do not agree with some of the reviews here. I have been here 6+ years. I find this a great place to work. The office culture is very good. The benefits are good. The paid holidays are better than all other comparable companies. I have seen many positive changes with the current president. Being a Japanese company, things are slow to change, but upper management is making strides. If you have a good head on your shoulders, some common sense, and a good work ethic, you can go far at this company. If you are a person who complains and points out issues, but never takes any improvement action of your own, this might not be the place for you. You can't expect to move up, if you spend all your time complaining and surfing the internet. Yanmar is challenge and will always be so because it is a Japanese company. The good side to that is you can find job security here. I am not looking over my shoulder worrying if I will have a job tomorrow. I enjoy my co-workers, I enjoy the challenge. The office environment at Yanmar America is great. My co-workers all have the same goals and I feel like I am part of a great team.

Cons

This is not Toyota or Nissan. It is a smaller Japanese company. Yanmar needs to globalize. The current management in Japan doesn't know what to do. I am not sure the Japanese President is being told the truth from his own Japanese management. There are too many "yes" men in Japan without any idea on how to globalize the company. This is your challenge if you work at Yanmar: Getting Japan to listen and to respond to the global needs of this company. The Japanese seem to be stuck in a box over there and they need to listen and follow the request of the Regional Headquarters around the globe. IT tools are lacking because of reason stated above. The good part is this is a challenge that can be overcome.

Advice to Management

For Yanmar America, stay the course, keep pushing Japan.