YapStone Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
YapStone Chairman, CEO, and Co-Founder Tom Villante
Tom Villante

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Close to Bart and freeway in WC (in 16 reviews)

• Visionary CEO with strong executive leadership team (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • s a growing company with all its concomitant growing pains (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management could definitely take time to have current employees feel as valued as incoming new employees (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The best working environment in the Bay Area"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management has made it clear, every employee will be treated with respect
    Incredible people who dare you to be better every day
    Incredible growth and career opportunities, plenty of training and new marketable skill to acquire
    Next to Bart, and paid monthly parking across the street from Bart
    Great benefits that get better each year
    Challenging but not overwhelming work schedule
    Yapstone has an atmosphere that just makes you want to come to work

Cons

Working with payment processors can be a challenge

Advice to Management

The level of respect you treat each employee with is amazing. I've heard the stories of the troubles management had, but it's hard to believe now because everything has been turned around.

"A truly great place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time

Pros

I truly feel that I have found a home at YapStone. I feel that along with being invested in the future of the company, management is invested in the success and career growth of its employees. YapStone still has very much of a start-up feel to it but with the maturity and long-term vision of a stable company.

Cons

As with any high-growth company there are growing pains and there's a lot of work to do.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees and building great teams!

"Very Bright Future Ahead"

I have been working at YapStone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wow, the changes that have happened in this company within the past year or so have been absolutely incredible. The company is committed to building out new employee programs and commit to making this a great place to work. Everyone seems to love who they work with and it is never a boring day!

The future looks very bright and I believe there are some big things happening soon that will bring this company to the next level.

Cons

We are busy! But we are definitely working on some amazing projects that I know will bring this company to great heights.

Advice to Management

Make sure you continue to commit to building great teams and recognizing your current employees, they deserve it!

"People You Want to Work With"

Current Employee - Product in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Product in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great set of people
    - Incredible diversity in the staff: looks like the airport and not the mall in the suburbs
    - Can-do attitude of the company and willing to take on any challenge
    - Focused work efforts with clear goals

Cons

- Growth of company means constant training time dedicated to new staff which is challenging while already working hard to hit stretch goals

Advice to Management

- Continue on: focus, energy, communication and with growing the company

5. "The Place To Call Home"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the main themes that we are hearing is open communication with employees and that is showing. The CEO & President hold a bi-monthly All Hands where they give the State of the Company and it makes you feel appreciated. Tom (CEO) has made the commitment that he is going to make this the best place we have ever worked out and it truly is becoming that. From Tom to the President David to the new leadership in Technology, this company is moving in the right direction. I feel that the one area that has made a difference is within HR and Recruiting. They have changed the culture and the people here now are ones that will take us to the next level.

Cons

The pace is fast and sometimes you can get lost in the shuffle if you don't make your voice heard.

Advice to Management

Take the time to spend a few minutes walking the floor a few times a week and learn what we are doing. You might be surprised how much more committed we will be if we realize someone really cares.

"Best Job I've Had in a Decade"

I have been working at YapStone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Yapstone is a company that very intentionally works to create a good working experience for its employees, and they are very successful at it. Good work-life balance, very competitive pay, better than average benefits (3% match on the 401(k) with no vesting), a nice office space with snacks, free parking, etc.

The company seems very sensitive to the damage that a single bad manager or coworker can do -- this is hard-earned if you check out the older reviews -- so there's an obvious emphasis on hiring decent human beings over divas. This pays dividends when it comes to the day-to-day working environment.

The company dominates its space and is growing at an impressive rate. I don't spend my nights worried that I might get laid off (or buried in work post-RIF). Heck, I'm even starting to think my options will be worth something in a couple of years.

Taking everything into consideration, this is the best job I've had in at least the last 10 years.

Cons

Yapstone has some obvious areas of immaturity in the way it does things, which you can either see as a "Cons" or as opportunities. The good news is that there's general recognition of these shortcomings and work to improve them, so if you see a gap you can fix it if you're willing to roll up your sleeves.

Advice to Management

Keep your eye on maintaining the culture -- rapid growth is a two-edged sword. Don't stop doing any of the things that are so obviously working out well right now.

"Phenomenal Company, Spectacular Growth, Cares about Employees"

I have been working at YapStone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After kicking around the valley for more than 15 years it's refreshing and rewarding to find a place like Yapstone. It feels like every week is a value-add and managers and team members are always asking what they can do for you at the end of each meeting or one-on-one session. Perks are great. If you want the stability of a decades-old dinosaur with the startup idealism and zeal for growth. This is the right place for you.

The company intranet, social hours, and HR are a cut above anything I've experienced in the valley.

Cons

--Fast growth environment, so you better pace yourself and make your needs apparent right away to Managers or Team Leads or you will be overwhelmed.
    --Not a foodie-friendly location unless you thrive on Delis, a few blocks walk will get you more diversity, but it's hot as hell outside and your car is parked 2-blocks across the street

Advice to Management

Hire more employees not more suits! Direction and leadership is not the concern, but there are not enough hands on deck. Keep the current culture. Don't become another typical bottomline-obsessed Corporation!

"YapStone is a great place to work"

I have been working at YapStone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, exciting and dynamic environment, challenging technical work, lots of opportunities to learn and grow, great collaboration between teams

Cons

I don't think there are any negatives I need to highlight here.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing. Great job.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with YapStone for 6.5 years and love working here! The company has grown tremendously in that time, and has improved more and more as time goes on. Everyone from Upper Management to temp employees are wonderful to work for/with. I look forward to each and every day that I go to work, and am thankful that I'm with a company that treats its employees well, works hard to continue to improve (and listens to what the employees have to say), and appreciates its employees that work hard day in and day out. I highly recommend YapStone as a place to work, whether you're right out of college, or at the executive level, and everything in-between!

Cons

This truly is a tough one, because there are so many pros. I suppose if I had to list a con, it would be that it would be nice to have a call center state side.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! This is the best Management Team since I started working here in 2010. Listening to what the employees have to say is key, and treating us well is much appreciated.

"Committing and Delivering"

Current Employee - Risk in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Risk in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at YapStone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Conscious effort in past year to aggressively hire talented and innovative thinkers. The bar is high here, as it should be at Fintech companies with huge potential. Really committed to spending $ in 2017 to build the best technology platforms in the segments we serve.

Cons

At times pace can be overwhelming, but with great effort can come big rewards.

Advice to Management

Keep delivering on the commitment to invest in systems and people, the momentum is strong lets keep it going.