Yapstone Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Yapstone Chairman, CEO, and Co-Founder Tom Villante
Tom Villante

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Close to Bart and freeway in WC" (in 16 reviews)

• "Excellent work/life balance and flexibility" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "It’s a growing company with all its concomitant growing pains" (in 12 reviews)

• "Yapstone has gone downhill since the new CTO Daniel Issen has joined" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company"

I have been working at Yapstone full-time

Pros

Great People to work with and they treat employees great,

Cons

None they are fair and good to work with.

"Underwriter"

I worked at Yapstone full-time

Pros

Good people and they gave us a lot of food

Cons

Awful management that helped personal friends rather then promoting people who actual work hard

Advice to Management

Get new managers

"A lot of “opportunities” ... not in a good way"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Yapstone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is genuinely great folks that work here.

Tight relationship with my engineering, client service, compliance, legal, sales, operations, and NOC counterparts that I was able to leverage into actions and collaborations that yielded tremendously positive results in a short time.

A great direct boss and team that made coming to work a fun experience with them, and a genuine bond that will last beyond Yapstone.

Cons

The senior leadership level is old-school, and not in a good way. Think “micromanagent from afar.”

The company is about as flexible as a fossil: PTO is not unlimited, it is rationed unofficially, working from home is discouraged, and generally the company doesn’t live up to the expectations I had for a Bay Area company as such.

Ironically, for execs that haphazardly interfere in your day-to-day, there is no real leadership when you face an actual challenge that requires escalation or executive finesse.

Bonus and comp are not in line with the market actuals I got offered interviewing when I decided to leave.

Promotions and career development are not really a thing here on some teams.

For a payment company, outside of a few key folks there was not much end-to-end depth of understanding of payments, which is ironic.

Advice to Management

Live your values and stop bullshitting your employees. You seem to be intent on thinking you’re the smartest people in the room, based on many interactions with the C/EVP level. It’s a certain kind of arrogance that reminds me of the 80’s. Grow into the new millenium and listen to your people. It’s the only way you’ll learn.

And you know what they say: it’s you’re not learning, you’re dying. Hopefully you evolve into a more employee-centric work environment.

"The Office version of a tech company"

I worked at Yapstone full-time

Pros

Great east bay commute but that's about it

Cons

Most backward minded company I have ever worked for. The manager, the colleagues, the management, etc. The comp, the benefits, the projects are all a joke. You can do better!

Advice to Management

It's too late to improve

"Great culture, people and goals"

I have been working at Yapstone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Smart, collaborative people
    - Diverse work histories and backgrounds
    - Commitment to employee and customer satisfaction
    - Opportunities for company and individual career growth
    - Food and social activities
    - Leadership

Cons

- Many employees have very short history with the company

Advice to Management

Keep engaging employees and being transparent about our goals and initiatives. This is a fantastic company to work for!!!

"Great leadership, great work environment!"

I have been working at Yapstone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have read the latest reviews that untruthfully portray our Chief People Officer to be not only an ineffective leader but a negative aspect of the company. I have to set the tone straight. It seems that people only write on Glassdoor when they have something bad to say. I have something really great to say about Yapstone and the people that I am fortunate enough to work with.

Although I have not been with Yapstone for the longest time I have had a chance to speak with our HR team on numerous occasions. They are a brilliant team! They are the most helpful, professional and genuinely lovely people to work with. Their manager - the Chief People Officer - is very compassionate and diligent in her efforts to make Yapstone an excellent place to work for everyone. Personally, I find our chief people officer to be an inspiring and empowering woman who cares deeply about her directs and shows genuine interest in the welfare of every Yapstone employee.

Cons

No job is perfect. I have some small issues with my current position. Nothing that I can't escalate with my manager and then HR if necessary.

"Best all around company I've ever worked for in my entire career!"

I have been working at Yapstone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers/teams; casual atmosphere; vision of company; salary; food perks; East Bay location, but next to BART for those who do not live within driving distance.

Cons

Absolutely no cons. Compared to other companies I've worked for in my career, Yapstone is the best!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Amazing opportunity with great tech leaders"

I have been working at Yapstone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- excellent opportunity to make the differnce
    - tech leadership pushing innovative tools and technologies
    - Big push for micro microservices
    - HQ located near bart station, good connectivity

Cons

- Yearly review- cutting bonouses with random rules
    - Short sighted, importance to the issues like instructing employees on snacks resulting bad impression when visitors reading those instructions.

"leadership?"

I have been working at Yapstone full-time

Pros

I enjoy the company, product, and see a career path
    i like my manager

Cons

ma·nip·u·la·tive
    characterized by unscrupulous control of a situation or person.
        scheming, calculating, cunning, crafty, wily, shrewd, devious, designing,
            conniving, artful, slippery, slick, sly, unscrupulous, disingenuous;
    It is sad that this is one of the words I use to describe our leadership in HR. leadership here has been placed in charge unchecked. The agenda is simply about what serves her best and serving those above. The rules don’t seem to apply, only to others. It is concerning to think where our company culture is heading under this leadership.
    I enjoy the company, product, and see a career path, but am concerned with some of the behavior I've seen. The rest of the leadership team seems ok. I would like to endorse the chief, but cannot as he has allowed this situation to go on.
    Don’t be surprised if several “glowing” reviews start to appear. i assume she manipulates this as well.

Advice to Management

It is concerning to think where our culture is heading

Yapstone Response

Jul 18, 2018 – President

At YapStone, we appreciate constructive feedback and employee input. However, as the President of YapStone, I neither agree with nor support comments like these. I do not believe that anonymous... More

"Great Company, Great Culture, Great Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Yapstone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working full time at YapStone for over 3 years now and I've experienced a fast paced and exciting environment, where I get to work with highly intelligent people who challenge me to be even better; a company culture that makes me feel appreciated (through events like weekly social hours, breakfast not to mention lots of snacks); an organization that believes in giving back through their YapCares program that includes both in-office volunteer opportunities and getting paid for going out into the community during the work day to volunteer; a leadership team that walks the talk and believes in their people.

I am not sure what some of the negative comments about HR is about but I have experienced the opposite. I have had a couple of issues in the past where I have needed HR's help, specifically, the Chief People Officer, who was extremely helpful, compassionate and professional. I have seen much improvement since the CPO came in - more open and transparent communications, implementation of a company wide intranet, better benefits (401K etc.). I would recommend having a conversation with the CPO on your issues - be a part of the solution rather than the problem. That is what I did. if it worked for me, perhaps it will work for you.

Cons

Too much great food...need to go on a diet! (No real cons)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!