Yapstone Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Yapstone Chairman, CEO, and Co-Founder Tom Villante
Tom Villante

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent work/life balance and flexibility" (in 9 reviews)

• "Free snacks, Bagel Wednesdays, and Social Hour Thursdays" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "It’s a growing company with all its concomitant growing pains" (in 13 reviews)

• "Yapstone has gone downhill since the new CTO Daniel Issen has joined" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company"

I have been working at Yapstone full-time

Pros

Great People to work with and they treat employees great,

Cons

None they are fair and good to work with.

2. "Best job I’ve ever had"

I have been working at Yapstone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are friendly and respectful
    Fun environment
    Good work life balance
    Opportunity to build and learn
    Always food and activities

Cons

Need for process and infrastructure
    Goals aren’t always clear

"Great people... Needs structure"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Yapstone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are the best asset - always willing to help and very positive.

Cons

Training is pretty much "on the fly" - it seems like each person has their own procedures. This makes for inconsistency and the customers do complain.

Advice to Management

Take the time and make the investment in developing consistent procedures and training so that the customers aren't as confused.

4. "Interesting changeling job with absolutely terrible management on many levels"

Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Yapstone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I learned a lot and was able to make a lot of critical improvements that made me feel much better about my skills
    - I was working with many amazing people who helped me to push myself and learn more
    - it is easy to impress people with very simple things and they start praising you as a lifesaver

Cons

- many people not in the right place. My manager (manager for data team) was absolutely not qualified for that job, but it took more than a year for management to admit it. Many more examples.
    - there are recognition for small quick changes that are used as an example all the time, but no recognition for really serious changes that have helped to solve gigantic problems. For example, I made database work way better and core processes started working many times faster, but it took me many meeting to push in prod and deploy. And later they pretended that huge improvement they seeing has nothing to do with my work.
    - they submit many fake review here.

Advice to Management

I can't say much about top management, but middle management must be improved a lot.

"Toxic Working Environment, Run!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Yapstone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to WC Bart Station

Cons

People in the upper management are hired because they are part of the clique, and don't have a clue what they are doing. Your achievement is measured based on how close you are to the inner circle, not your contributions. It's real life version of "The Office" and "Silicon Valley". Office managers are weird. HR thrive in the toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Start over?

Yapstone Response

Mar 4, 2019 – Chief People Officer

We appreciate you providing your input. I see you are still an employee of Yapstone and encourage you to meet with me to share more of your perspectives with examples of how the environment is not... More

6. "Potentially Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Security Data Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Security Data Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Yapstone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership seemed to be ok. You will get your hands on a lot of tools, and also be able to learn them in and out as you will also be configuring them for the majority.

Cons

Lots of shifting people. Not only in leadership, but also in general population. Collaboration between teams is not the best

Yapstone Response

Mar 4, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry we never received your feedback prior to your departure. As we continue to grow, our focus is on collaboration and cross communication. We understand that... More

"Stay away at all costs."

I worked at Yapstone full-time

Pros

Good location in the East Bay

Cons

Everything but location Yapstone will wear you out then kick you to the curb, and someone else will take credit for your work. If you are looking for immigration status they may help and keep you there. Indentured servitude seems to be what they like. All of the good, reasonable people move on.

Advice to Management

Quit. Go somewhere you can really make a difference. Yapstone has many "potential" awards for years and years, but will never realize it.

"Underwriter"

I worked at Yapstone full-time

Pros

Good people and they gave us a lot of food

Cons

Awful management that helped personal friends rather then promoting people who actual work hard

Advice to Management

Get new managers

"A lot of “opportunities” ... not in a good way"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Yapstone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is genuinely great folks that work here.

Tight relationship with my engineering, client service, compliance, legal, sales, operations, and NOC counterparts that I was able to leverage into actions and collaborations that yielded tremendously positive results in a short time.

A great direct boss and team that made coming to work a fun experience with them, and a genuine bond that will last beyond Yapstone.

Cons

The senior leadership level is old-school, and not in a good way. Think “micromanagent from afar.”

The company is about as flexible as a fossil: PTO is not unlimited, it is rationed unofficially, working from home is discouraged, and generally the company doesn’t live up to the expectations I had for a Bay Area company as such.

Ironically, for execs that haphazardly interfere in your day-to-day, there is no real leadership when you face an actual challenge that requires escalation or executive finesse.

Bonus and comp are not in line with the market actuals I got offered interviewing when I decided to leave.

Promotions and career development are not really a thing here on some teams.

For a payment company, outside of a few key folks there was not much end-to-end depth of understanding of payments, which is ironic.

Advice to Management

Live your values and stop bullshitting your employees. You seem to be intent on thinking you’re the smartest people in the room, based on many interactions with the C/EVP level. It’s a certain kind of arrogance that reminds me of the 80’s. Grow into the new millenium and listen to your people. It’s the only way you’ll learn.

And you know what they say: it’s you’re not learning, you’re dying. Hopefully you evolve into a more employee-centric work environment.

"The Office version of a tech company"

I worked at Yapstone full-time

Pros

Great east bay commute but that's about it

Cons

Most backward minded company I have ever worked for. The manager, the colleagues, the management, etc. The comp, the benefits, the projects are all a joke. You can do better!

Advice to Management

It's too late to improve