Yard House Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Craig Carlyle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Management works extremely long hours (in 24 reviews)

• There are no end times to the shifts so late nights and long hours are a real possibility (in 7 reviews)

1. "server/ bartender"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Yard House part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good money and work environment

Cons

over staffed shifts at times

Advice to Management

consider that employees want to make money and would rather work harder than have too many employees on a shift

2. "Great company to work for as a server"

Former Employee - Server in Chino Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Chino Hills, CA

I worked at Yard House part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great clientele! I worked as a server here for 2 years and made great money in tips. the menu is not super cheap so the more u sell the better tips u make. They are semi flexible with students as long as u have 5 days of availability but its pretty easy to get shifts covered or switched around with hotschedules app

Cons

very strict on write-ups so make sure to be on top of taking breaks before 5 hours and don't be late to work.

3. "Great place to work at"

Current Employee - Food Server in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Food Server in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Yard House part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, fun and fast paced work environment, ability to move up fast

Cons

As of now I have zero cons

4. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Server in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Yard House full-time

Pros

Yard House was a great concept to learn team oriented server approach. They strongly emphasize full hands in full hands out. And they like you to treat all tables as your table. Helped me cultivate strong beer knowledge. Enjoyed the teamwork aspect and camaraderie.

Cons

The managers record minor mistakes in little black books like leaving plates on the table after guests are done, and the management was very clandestine in securing information about you as a server from other "KEY" servers. This all dictated your schedule and sections. Particular "KEY" servers had the best sections and schedules and often had incentive to down play other servers. It is a little known dirty fact.

Advice to Management

Gather a consensus from ALL server staff as well as other management observations before making a decision on a server.

5. "Bar Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Coral Gables, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Coral Gables, FL

I have been working at Yard House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome environment with tons of beer selections. Constant feed back and growth opportunities helps you grow as a person and a manager. Great benefits and savings plan. You also get ton's of hook ups on discounts through the market place mall by just being a Darden employee.

Cons

Late nights are hard, often don't get off till sometimes 3:30 A.M. on the weekends and 2 A.M. on the weekdays. Most of the restaurants are high volume, so it's often hard to get your schedules or office work done on time (especially if your the closing manager). Also upper management often will send you to work at locations that are far away from your home.

Advice to Management

Remember to give positive feedback and gain buy in from management team. We always preach treating our team members like guests but sometimes that is lost with our management team. We often only hear the negative.

6. "Some locations are better then others!"

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Yard House part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the employees get a long very well, managers are nice and easy going for the most part, there is a decent amount of structure because of it being corporate, customers generally really enjoy their visit, huge food and drink menu so a decently wide array of price points, side work duties are easy, and staff members work as a team always!

Cons

the location I work at is no where near busy enough for as many staff members as we have (don't want to give out my location), only working 3 days a week or so with open availability, late hours at night (wish we closed much earlier), you have to work food running and "breaker" shifts generally one of them each week, and cash tips now go on a pay card you do not get handed cash at the end of shift.

Advice to Management

If a location is suffering in volume and sales especially during certain times like lunch- less employees should be on the floor, more promotion should be happening to bring in customers, and new team members should not be constantly hired when existing staff is already suffering from lack of work.

"Executive Chef"

Former Employee - Executive Chef
    Former Employee - Executive Chef

I worked at Yard House full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Alright healthcare program
    -Great employee discounts.
    -Generous 401k program
    -Managers and employees all great people.

Cons

-I used to love this place and thought I had found my dream job. After Darden bought it out the formula has changed and needed to leave after 12 years of service.
    -Hours can be a lot to ridiculous.
    -No help from corporate level. Even as a manager you still have to go through long processes and time just to get results.
    -After Darden bought YH out they have modified the business model. Number one thing is they got rid of all kitchen regional managers. The kitchen has no support and guidance. FOH regionals are over worked. YH is to big to minimize that critical support.
    -Food is slowly but surely moving to a point where almost all food will be ripped open from a bag. And the quality shows.
    -Managers get pulled in a million directions a day. With the amount of work loaded on to them we all lost focus on our guests and staff.
    -Always proclaimed life/work balance and to try and only work 50 hours a week but support level was non-exhistant.
    -With the amount of manager turnover they had you think that corporate level would figure out their formula isn't working. People don't quite their jobs! They quite their boss.

Advice to Management

To upper management: rethink your formula if you want to retain staff and managers. YOU need support your restaurants 24/7. Not just 9-5 M-F Florida time. West coasters have NO support on weekends. We want to talk to people and not cut through red tape to get an answer. Bring back kitchen regional support and walkthroughs. Help restaurants in need so other managers don't get overworked and quite. Stop opening so many locations and support the ones who need help. Make those more profitable BEFORE you increase more.

8. "Hawaii and"

Former Employee - Porter in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Porter in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Yard House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good if you are a server and or a cook for long term, can be a fun place to work

Cons

no real benefits, the stock plans suck and are the worst in the nation, no vacation pay, or sick pay

9. "Busser"

I worked at Yard House part-time

Pros

Yard House is a very fun place to work if you enjoy fast paced environment

Cons

it can be stressful when something is not working in your favor, and you get blamed regardless if your fault

Advice to Management

Some managers are a little too strict, being strict is important but theres an extent

"great!"

I have been working at Yard House full-time

Pros

great guests and wonderful, reasonable, and trusting management. They always work with you to make sure your needs are met, and that your schedule reflects your needs as well!

Cons

Days are on and off, you never know what you need to get! they have a large food and drink menu and you need to know a lot of beer throughout training or it could be difficult.