Year Up Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Year Up Founder and CEO Gerald Chertavian
Gerald Chertavian

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Truly cares about bridging the opportunity divide and serving young adults (in 15 reviews)

• The external professional development opportunities and health benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Low work/life balance accommodations (in 19 reviews)

• Executive Director and his favorites (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An Organization that truly Believes in their Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Year Up full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Year Up is like no other organization. My colleagues are all very genuine and truly care about the work we do, as well the students we serve. The work isn't easy and everyone comes in day in and day out ready and willing to go the extra mile. Year Up is organization that also cares about you as an individual. The benefits package is amazing and taking care of yourself is encouraged here. Your colleagues are your teammates and everyone respects one another. It is definitely a pleasure working here. Even though we are a new site, our team is growing and the word is getting out about Year Up Los Angeles.

Cons

With all the positives stated, it is a little challenging to talk about the cons, as there aren't many. I will say that the office space is a little challenging. If you are used to having your own office or office space, get over it. It would be nice to have that intimate space, however, to focus on your work, have confidential meetings and conversations with students, etc. We are a new site so we are still learning and growing together but this also presents natural challenges that we will soon overcome.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "Development Associate"

Pros

Passionate staff, great mission. Very professional staff and structure, it's a great place to learn in early stages of career

Cons

Can be somewhat hierarchical in structure, though it depends on your team.

Advice to Management

none

3. "IT T.A"

Current Employee - IT in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - IT in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Year Up full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Place to work, flexible time, great managers, perfect insurance, 401k match, $2000 PD budgets yearly, 3 weeks paid vacation, 16 weeks maternity and 8-week paternity,...

Cons

low salary, slow promotion, not competitive salary in Bay Area For IT people

Advice to Management

salary base on the Area, special Bay area, competitive salary for IT people

"Alumni Staff Leading the Future of Year Up......Not Gonna Happen"

I worked at Year Up full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Year Up hires alumni who have graduated from the program. We are given the opportunity to work with some amazing young adults and help them gain jobs with some really amazing companies. Benefits are amazing.

Cons

Executive Directors are brought in because they understand and speak the language of the market of leaders we are trying to enter into their companies. However many of them have and show a complete disrespect for Year Up core values for example, not wanting to accept feedback or not adhere to the dress that we have for students. Year Up has even taking a step to try to make those leaders be more comfortable with feedback by choosing to make an additional set of feedback guidelines. Many staff also don't always support the students as they should be. These young adults are joining this program to learn and many of the experiences they have in the program are new to them. Staff make comments that students shouldn't questions they things they do because "they have jobs and earn a paycheck verses a stipend", that is completely unacceptable and inappropriate. Gerald wants alumni to one day run Year Up including being the CEO. However the reality of this dream will never happen because everyone does not share his same thoughts and feelings. Year Up alumni are often stuck in coordinator and specialist level roles with a few that are in the manager band. Alumni are often given feedback that while they do a good job in their work, the ratings received in their annual reviews do not match what is being told to them or in some cases not told. It's extremely hard to grow in Year Up because the feedback that is often presented in interviews is that you are great but we will go with another candidate that has more experience. Who would have more experience at being a Program Manager than someone who has lived out the student contract. When people raise concerns to the national office the complaints fall upon deaf ears. The organization is extremely reactive when it comes to being forward thinking about growth. We talk about how we want to serve 10,000 per year in 2021 but so many sites have completely outgrown their site spaces and we rush to make hires for new positions instead of taking the time to ensure that people are really good culture fit to work here. They pay is okay but considering Year Up sites are in the metropolitan areas of most states there are some markets that get paid much more than others. If you want more money go live in New York. We say that we are invested in diversity and wellness as an organization however, we treat these items as if they are yesterday's trash because the senior leaders only care about data and numbers instead of the voice of the people is screaming to them. Year Up Senior Leadership team does not reflect the population of students we serve. Year Up doesn't practice what we preach to our corporate partners. It took years before we have finally removed the degree requirement from most of our job descriptions.

Advice to Management

Consider fixing your foundation before continuing to grow because your foundation is slowly sinking. Tenured staff members and alumni are leaving left and right. PROMOTE FROM WITHIN!!!!!! No one comes into a role knowing how to do 90% of the work, everyone needs to be coached on how we do things the "Year Up" way. We should ensure we are letting go some really great talent because they dont check off every box. Work to ensure that we have better and bigger office spaces to support our growth. Lastly work with alumni staff members to determine how they fit into Gerald's vision of wanting them to be the future leaders of the company, this is something that is not super clear.

"Does Gerald Chertavian want to dismantle the DC site?"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I worked at Year Up full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get paid on time.

Cons

The DC site is in serious decline under the current executive director: staff morale is low, students are unhappy, people seem to leave once they get hired. Does Gerald know what is going on?

Either someone is doing a great job of keeping the sorry state of things from Gerald or he wants to dismantle this site from the inside out. If the latter is true, he's doing a great job.

Advice to Management

Transition the executive director into a different role quick: She's not a bad person, but this position is not good for her nor the site.

6. "Lifting While We Climb"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Year Up full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Year Up Los Angeles (YULA) - great team, coming together nicely, in an important Year Up location. Great and supportive academic partner (West LA College). Inaugural class about to graduate. Class 2 headed to internship (Sony, Snap, Kaiser, Hulu, Warner Brothers, Symantec and many others). Class 3 arrives soon. Preparing to grow throughout Los Angeles in partnership with community colleges. Excellent and enthusiastic support from our corporate internship partners. First class of interns has performed admirably. Community-based organizations are beginning to understand how we do what we do and to support our efforts.

Cons

Still relatively new to Los Angeles (first class graduates in about a week) so going through the typical start-up and growth pangs. Team is coming together and focused on building name recognition in LA. Outreach and recruitment is always challenging in a new market where our target audience hasn't heard of us before but momentum is building in that regard as well.

Advice to Management

LA is the second largest opportunity youth market in America. Grow aggressively without taking your eye of the ball...preparing our amazing young adults for careers and higher education. Lift while you climb!

"Greater Philadelphia"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Year Up full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great CEO. He is committed and real. Wish he really knew what was going on in Philadelphia.

Cons

Executive Director and his favorites. Politics. Not able to express true opinions. Listened to the wrong people. Singled out people and then fired people based on opinions of others.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and give everyone a chance.

"Great Mission Bad Leadership-ATL"

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Year Up full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has a great mission and great benefits. The mission itself will get you excited about working at Year Up.

Cons

Leadership is horrible, there are a lot of unethical things happening at this site ( with students and staff). When you complain to the National office nothing happens. It is the worst place to work. This organization should not be on the "Best Non Profits to work for" list. The ED is a horrible leader which is why retention is low. The staff is not happy and aren't treated right. The only reason people stay is to help the young adults.

Advice to Management

Lead the organizing based on the mission and not your own personal agenda. Don't retain students or interns to hit a number that is going ruin the organization and its brand. Value your staff and support them. Bullying your staff is not an effective way to lead.

"Find yourself a better opportunity"

Former Employee - Student in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Student in Boston, MA

I worked at Year Up full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you never had a job before and don't know where you want to go in life then this might be a program that guides I guess. TBH not many pros

Cons

So many cons. The pay is slave wage. The teachers, advisers and mentors are kind of useless. So you get set up with an internship but nobody knows what you will do on the internship until you get it. Until then they just teach you things that will never be used at the job. Kind of a waste of time right? Everybody in the program gives vague general advice about careers that you can find on google. A lot of politics and you see people being favored which lowers morale for the students. When you get the internship its a mixed bag. Sometimes you can be doing a lot and your team needs you or you can be doing nothing your whole time there. Why year up sets up students like this? I have no clue. Leads to tons of hopelessness. At the end of the day it's like a recruitment agency trying to hit numbers disguised as a non profit. Many year up graduates I know went back to the same old jobs they had before the program.

"Few Leaders in Atlanta....Only half-trained management"

I have been working at Year Up full-time

Pros

The mission and the young adults who employ us. The external professional development opportunities and health benefits. Lastly, SOME great people work here.

Cons

The "leadership" and the people who are scared of them. Nobody will stand up for anything because they are scared that they will lose their jobs. Most of the people that left were under appreciated and overworked. Only four directors are actually good people managers (Admissions/Academics/Development/Operations) The "executive director" set up meetings to get to know her staff...guess what, she probably only knows 8 people in a 50 staff maximum environment. (8 directors)

Advice to Management

The golden rule: Treat people the way you want to be treated!