KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

3.7
Year Up Founder and CEO  Gerald Chertavian
Gerald Chertavian

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The benefits are great for a non(in 47 reviews)
  • "Great people that are always willing to help you out when you have a question.(in 27 reviews)
  • "Great staff that help low income students gain necessary soft skills for a corporate job, just not the hard tech skills required to be competent.(in 18 reviews)
  • "Great Culture(in 14 reviews)
  • "Lots of great cohesion across functional team and cross functionally(in 13 reviews)
Cons
  • "Work/life balance is tough in some departments.(in 21 reviews)
  • "It is none profit so low pay.(in 18 reviews)
  • "low salary (not at all competitive for the sector)(in 16 reviews)
  • "In addition, Year Up fails to hold many of its Caucasian Managers accountable for poor leadership, failed metrics, and unhappy employees under their guidance who've taken the necessary steps to report their disappointing experience.(in 16 reviews)
  • "candidates/employees with bad management behavior.)(in 14 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Year Up and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Great Social Impact Mission Company

Aug 27, 2021 - Operations Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very progressive national nonprofit that walks the walk and talks it too! Great place to grow in a career and if you like social impact this is the company for you.

Cons

It's growing fast a company, so new models are constantly being tested . Which sometimes impacts organizational structure. Burn out is another thing

1 person found this review helpful

Year Up Response

Director of Talent Scouting

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review and of course, thank you for being a part of our staff. If you feel up to it, we'd love to hear more detail about your experience working in a high-growth environment to better understand where we can support our employees. Feel free to reach out to feedback@yearup.org if you'd like to share more.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing

May 12, 2022 - Security Officer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work culture and accomodating enviroment

Cons

There are no cons at year up

3. 4.0

Great Mission

Jul 2, 2022 - Instructor in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong Mission: close the Opportunity Divide. Students are highly engaged and will lose stiped money if they don't pay attention to details. This is a great opportunity to teach skills that will change a young adult's life. The heavy use of Slack improves communication between staff, various departments, and students.

Cons

Pay is below market rate. Many managers are not good at plate management. Constantly making last-minute changes and announcements to staff, even though the process repeats itself every 6 months. Expectations from other departments and meetings will take up the majority of your class prep time. To gain real skills, students need and want detailed feedback, not just grades; this takes time. If you meet/eat with students on your break, it is hard to flex that time back out.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good upwards mobility but poor leadership

Jun 7, 2022 - IT Support Specialist II in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits Professional development funds Culture

Cons

lack of direction of Leadership Poor Management

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Would be nice if they didn't function on self-doubt

May 15, 2022 - Scholar in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoyed the experiences I had with my fellow scholars and my professors. For the time I was there, it was fun. I got experience with coding and realized I loved it.

Cons

Some situations it seemed like we were set up to fail. Some situations were panic attack inducing for no reason. Would have loved to spend more class time learning more but instead we had to waste it on basic english worksheets and grammar. I get that not everyone is at that level but it would have been nice to be separated from those underperforming. We had to take a test to get in already. Had a mentor from outside tell me that this program was doing more harm than good. Focused on the wrong scholars and not giving equal attention to everyone. The hair discrimination was apparent. Witnessed my male colleagues being coerced into cutting their hair. Put myself through being grilled about my hair styling choices. Got told that I would get reprimanded on internship because having twists in my hair "made it look like I just rolled out of bed". I experienced so many microagressions. To someone who was older, I saw the experience being compared more to high school. Couldn't be honest about the reason why I left because I left with so much ptsd. Elevator pitch was what brought me to tears and made me not want to come back. They shortened the 30 seconds to 10 seconds. And I didn't like the person I became after that. Wishing for others to fail is not how I wish to be. I'm working in a corporate setting now and I see how harmful this program was. Un-learnining the behaviors taught in this program was the hardest and I think it needs to be revamped. I'm a bit ashamed to say that I was recommended to this program by a friend of mine. She went to the NYC branch. I was not aware that our experiences would be the total opposite and upon letting her know of what happened, she was appalled.

5 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not a bad place to work

Apr 8, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent benefits and allows you to use your strengths while being mission oriented

Cons

The numbers can matter more than the kids sometimes

7. 1.0
    Former Employee

One of the most racist experiences in my life

May 10, 2022 - Associate Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the kids are so kind, but majority are racist and homophobic (whether through internalization or systemic).

Cons

Racist, racist, racist. Many students have become mentally ill due to the trauma and pain they've faced from this program. Please avoid at all costs. Organization has high turnover rate for employees for a reason. The only ones who stay are also racists.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee

Internship Service Specialist

Apr 1, 2022 - Internship in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Intentional work with a purpose

Cons

turnover rate extremely high for employers

9. 4.0

Review

Mar 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay and professional environment always

Cons

Sometimes can get a little overwhelming

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

great opportunity

Mar 21, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Networking, getting work experience, polish resume, internships and jobs after graduation.

Cons

- low pay -lots of time wasted repeating info or doing useless activities, students don't need to be in class for 8 hours or even have classes on fridays.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 369 Reviews

Year Up Reviews FAQs

Year Up has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 512 reviews left anonymously by employees. 76% of employees would recommend working at Year Up to a friend and 67% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Year Up employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Year Up. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

76% of Year Up employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Year Up 3.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Year Up to be culture, benefits, career development and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Year Up Job Seekers