Year Up Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Year Up Founder and CEO Gerald Chertavian
Gerald Chertavian

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Truly cares about bridging the opportunity divide and serving young adults (in 18 reviews)

• YU will also give you some Professional Development money on top of what your earnings which can be used for certs or what have you (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An Organization that truly Believes in their Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Year Up full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Year Up is like no other organization. My colleagues are all very genuine and truly care about the work we do, as well the students we serve. The work isn't easy and everyone comes in day in and day out ready and willing to go the extra mile. Year Up is organization that also cares about you as an individual. The benefits package is amazing and taking care of yourself is encouraged here. Your colleagues are your teammates and everyone respects one another. It is definitely a pleasure working here. Even though we are a new site, our team is growing and the word is getting out about Year Up Los Angeles.

Cons

With all the positives stated, it is a little challenging to talk about the cons, as there aren't many. I will say that the office space is a little challenging. If you are used to having your own office or office space, get over it. It would be nice to have that intimate space, however, to focus on your work, have confidential meetings and conversations with students, etc. We are a new site so we are still learning and growing together but this also presents natural challenges that we will soon overcome.

Advice to Management

None.

"Amazing Nonprofit (albeit with growing pains)"

I have been working at Year Up full-time

Pros

Surrounded by passionate, smart, interesting, fun co-workers. Year Up attracts so many different types of people and everyone is truly bought into the mission. At its best, it's an upbeat, rewarding place to work.

Cons

As Year Up has grown, it's in danger of getting bogged down by administration and bureaucracy and buying into the idea that the only sign of a hard worker is someone who is stretched thin and always busy, busy, busy.

Advice to Management

Let people do the jobs they were hired to do. Don't feel it's necessary to constantly add more and more onto workers' plates. That approach ends up accomplishing less, not more.

3. "Best Non Profit to Work For - Truly Deserved!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Year Up full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent experience all around! From an amazing interviewing and onboarding experience, to the values instilled at all level, to a wonderful, passionate culture - this organization is truly unique.

Cons

I haven't experienced any cons.

4. "Student Intern"

I worked at Year Up full-time

Pros

Career Development, Professional Exposure, Networking,Time Management all were amazing at Year Up

Cons

Consistency in program organization
    Leniency with students
    Treating students differently

Advice to Management

I know running a non profit organization isn't easy, and keeping employees who are pivotal in running the program from finding new positions outside the company, or even inside is hard. But there were so many changes, and moves that it affected myself in other students a lot. However, it also challenged us to adapt to new leadership and new forms of training. Thank you.

Year Up Response

Dec 11, 2017 – Associate Director, Scouting and Sourcing

Thanks for sharing your experience. We value your feedback, and are always looking for ways to improve. We invite you to share more with us at feedback@yearup.org.

Thank you!

5. "Development Specialist"

Pros

Amazing students, great benefits, great mission

Cons

Managing functional role with the program portion of the job.

6. "Student"

Current Employee - Student in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Student in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Year Up full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive, gives everything you need.

Cons

Can get a little tedious at times.

7. "intern"

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Year Up (More than a year)

Pros

set you up for the rest of your life

Cons

12 month program you must commit to

8. "Director of Business Development"

Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Boston, MA

I have been working at Year Up full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Year Up is a dynamic organization that thrives on feedback and growth...constantly analyzing market demands and adjusting to them. All Year Up staff, regardless of responsibility, interacts with the students during their learning and development cycles, coaches 5 or 6 students through L&D and their internship cycles.

The largest, fastest growing organization to serve the 18-24 year old young adults that we do.

Cons

Always more to do than time allows.

Advice to Management

Carefully pick opportunities to realize the aggressive growth goals.

"Please Reconsider Year Up Employment Before Joining"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Year Up full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Passionate staff members who care about the mission of the Year Up establishment. Such wonderful, charismatic, and potential filled students who work hard to earn their internships and opportunities.

Cons

The worst management I have ever encountered in my life. Management does not respect its employees. Management tries to uphold the establishment's professional values but do not care about the committment and diligence of their workers, only the upward mobility they are able to provide. Management is the saddest excuse for a group of adults trying to keep it together.

Advice to Management

Complete change of management is imperative. There will be no progress at Year Up if upper Management is not removed. Please exercise the professional transparency and politeness that you ask of others. The climate of the current management has changed the environement and respect that everyone has for one another due to the dispicable behavior that takes places on their end. Year Up has an enormous amount of potential, and if there was a sensible upper management then it would have been the DMV's pride in closing the opportunity divide.

"Cheap Labor for Corporations, Fast Growth Diminishes Values"

I worked at Year Up part-time

Pros

Amazing young people who are extremely intelligent, eager, and capable. Alumni who work for the organization truly are gems for the current students. People of color working for the organization are the most culturally competent and work diligently to have that knowledge pervade the staff at every level.

Cons

Alumni who transition into employment are treated poorly. Senior management placates lower level staff through arbitrary "development" around cultural competency. Students and alumni often face micro aggressions around race and culture daily, making their experience disappointing to horrific. Alumni who work for the organization hit a professional ceiling, aren't taken seriously as staff, and are treated with disrespect when missing professional marks that they haven't been properly trained to hit. Ultimately, Year Up provides cheap labor to corporations under the guise of helping poor kids of color make more money than they would in retail. It accomplishes both the former and the latter sometimes, but many times, alumni end up back in retail. Figures around average salary are more a result of a few alumni making extremely high salaries while the rest make less than their degreed counterparts for doing the same work.

Advice to Management

Rethink the way that alumni who transition into staff are treated. Do the necessary work to truly create a cultural competence that pervades the entire organization. HIRE MORE PEOPLE OF COLOR (and actually do the work to retain them). Acknowledge privilege from the CEO down and don't try to placate or pacify those who express concern for the culture of the organization.