Year Up Reviews

Updated May 14, 2021

3.9
Year Up Founder and CEO  Gerald Chertavian
Gerald Chertavian
Pros
  • "Staff genuinely cares about success of the young adults in the program(in 31 reviews)

• "Great mission, good leaders, amazing corporate partners(in 20 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance can be tricky(in 33 reviews)

• "After all, this is a non-profit in Seattle(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Year Up and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great colleagues, good place to learn and grow

Apr 27, 2021 - Specialist in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really talented coworkers who are deeply committed to the mission of the organization. Decent management and organizational structures for a nonprofit. Excitement of working for a bold and innovative mission-driven organization. From what I observed, there were genuine efforts to integrate a culture of feedback and learning into interactions between staff.

Cons

The organization went through a lot of change during my time at the organization, and it seems like it has gone through even more of it since I left. I was a bit sheltered from this as an employee of the national office, but it seemed like my colleagues at the organization's sites had concerns about their job security as the organization pivoted to adopt a leaner training model.

Director of Talent Scouting

Your feedback is important to us and thank you for sharing your appreciation for talented co-workers and Year Up's mission. We are thankful for your service to the organization and for highlighting the experiences of your colleagues. It's important for all staff members to have an equitable working experience and we'd appreciate any additional feedback that you'd like to provide. As an option, you can reach out to feedback@yearup.org if you'd like to more detail.

2. 2.0

Organization on the decline

Apr 22, 2021 - Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

The mission and helping participants achieve their goals.

Cons

Working at Year Up has changed so much in recent times. There were large layoffs and locations continue to close. Although the mission is admirable the execution is not. Participants are viewed as $ for the organization and used as leverage for their corporate sponsors. There have been many issues for staff of color as well org wide. The organization fails to address these issues and instead ignores them or reprimands those who speak their truth. It is a very bad look for an organization that claims to be on the side of social justice. Upper Management has taken control of all of the decision making. Leaving the staff on the ground with no voice. This is a shame because Year Up has great staff that care and want what is best for the participants. Things have gone severely down hill when this org turned its back on its staff and laid a large portion of its workforce.

4 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent programs, even better organizational health

Jan 21, 2017 - Operations Manager in Blank, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Competitive compensation - Excellent organizational leadership, passion, and culture - Programs really make a difference in the students' lives

Cons

Any new site comes with some growing pains and so we are still figuring some things out as we go. Could use a little more direction or "best practices" from other sites or leadership. But again, these things come with any new sites!

181 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Wonderful colleagues

May 14, 2021 - Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company is committed to DEI and antiracism work

Cons

Experience will depend on your manager

5. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work

May 13, 2021 - Site Director in Wilmington, DE
      Business Outlook

Pros

Values diversity, equity and inclusion

Cons

I would highly recommend Year Up as a place to work.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Hard work but worth the reward

May 3, 2021 - Specialist in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and young adults are amazing

Cons

High turn over and the layoff came at a very tough time.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great Culture

May 4, 2021 - Student Service Specialist in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, mission, people, wellness opportunities

Cons

If the compensation was higher, this is the perfect place

Director of Talent Scouting

Thanks for sharing that the culture, mission, people, wellness opportunities were a highlight of your Year Up experience. Building a transparent compensation structure is critical to our work to make sure that employees feel valued. If you feel comfortable and would like to provide more detailed feedback about compensation, please reach out to feedback@yearup.org to set up a time to share your perspective.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Embedded Tension and competing ideals

Apr 28, 2021 - Employment Placement Manager in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible levels of support for employees - Quality PTO/vacation time - Excellent participants -Supportive colleagues

Cons

- Competing goals and ideals between teams creates consistent tension, but it is embedded in the Company's culture.

Director of Talent Scouting

We appreciate you highlighting the flexibility of support for Year Up employees. As we move forward in organizational strategy, it will be even more important for team goals to be aligned. Your detailed feedback is important to us and we'd love to learn more to inform our efforts to improve. If you'd like to offer additional insights, please reach out to feedback@yearup.org and we can set up a time to further discuss your ideas.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Social justice, with a catch.

Jan 4, 2021 - Partnerships Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The mission, when it works - is admirable. There certainly are instances where young adults are able to achieve significant upwards mobility through internship and job offers. As a staff member, virtual work has improved workplace flexibility. Most coworkers are nice and easy to work with.

Cons

Interns are paid a sub-minimum wage “stipend” for full-time work. Less than 50% of interns are offered a job offer after internship, and their is a significant opportunity cost for young people doing the program. At times, it feels as if the organization is exploitative of its participants. Yes, it opens doors, but it does nothing to challenge the white supremacist culture within it exists, and it also forces young people to work extremely hard, for very little pay, hence the exploitation. Corporate partners buy internship seats for a premium, and very little of that money ends up trickling down to the interns that are doing the actual labor. Work life balance is difficult, “self care” is catchphrase that is rarely actually implemented. There is very little room for professional growth, and yet the organization expects all employees to chart out goals and a professional development plan (which is essentially making more work for employees, while not leading to any actual promotions). Year Up acts like a corporation in hierarchy, decision making and reviews, but provides very little opportunities for growth of pay and career advancement.

13 people found this review helpful

Director of Talent Scouting

We're always looking for ways to grow and improve, so your thoughts have illuminated the organization's growth areas. Thank you for pointing out workplace flexibility as a highlight. Your review about intern compensation is helpful, and we'll be sure to relay that feedback to the appropriate leaders. Overall, we seek to understand how we can build professional pathways that feel tangible and accessible for all employees, and please know that your advice is appreciated. If you feel comfortable and would like to share more about your lived experience at Year Up, please reach out to feedback@yearup.org to continue the conversation.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

It’s what you make it

Mar 1, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

The mission is compelling. The people are here because they love the mission. The students are amazing. The organization has lofty goals and welcomes innovators.

Cons

Work life balance doesn’t exist. A lot of the onus is on the employee to navigate the unrealistic pace, volume, and expectations of perfection. Ambiguity has been normalized so clear direction doesn’t exist. It’s up to the employee to flag system inhibitors.

2 people found this review helpful

Director of Talent Scouting

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about what makes Year Up a great place to work. We take feedback about organizational pace seriously and appreciate your perspective regarding the strategy and direction of the organization. If you are comfortable with sharing additional feedback regarding decision-making models at the organization, please don't hesitate to reach out to feedback@yearup.org and we'll plan to set up a touchpoint to discuss further.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 306 Reviews