KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Year Up

Engaged Employer

Year Up

Add a Review

Year Up Employee Reviews about "young adults"

Updated Aug 20, 2021

Found 48 of over 482 reviews

3.9
Pros
  • "Good opportunities for young adults who are looking to close the opportunity divide and go into the corporate world(in 42 reviews)

• "Very DEI focused culture and great mission(in 25 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work-life balance was hard to maintain at times(in 38 reviews)

• "After all, this is a non-profit in Seattle(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Year Up and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "young adults"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Intern, less than 1 year

Aug 20, 2021 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good opportunities for young adults who are looking to close the opportunity divide and go into the corporate world.

Cons

None. The staff are great and are willing to do everything they can to get you to succeed.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

It's great...until it's not

Jul 13, 2021 - Associate Director of Admissions in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are the fact that it's a mission driven org with a clear opportunity to engage in the mission daily (working with young adults to help them obtain skills & job opportunities to truly transform their lives). The ability to see student outcomes immediately and directly is wonderful. Being a coach to a student is transformative. There is true joy in the work. The folks who also work for the org literally give of themselves in a way that makes you want to give and do more. The benefits are amazing (vacation, 401k match & health benefits are second to none).

Cons

There's a lot of hierarchy BS and for people of color, it can feel like an exhausting rat race. It takes years (if at all) to see progress and it can even be challenging to move up from within.

6 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great mission, management issues cause organizational problems

Aug 19, 2021 - Enrollment
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Amazing mission and students. It's wonderful to see young adults change their lives and see your direct work and impact produce positive results -Good benefits (PTO and professional development in particular) -Flexible work schedule (day often ended at 1pm on Fridays)

Cons

-Poor leadership is all too common. National leadership seemed either ignorant or oblivious to some of the issues happening at individual sites -Little to no opportunities for advancement for excellent performance. Very disappointing to see POC employees give their all and stay stagnant with low pay -Poor performance tolerated & advancement opportunities given to "favorite" employees -Disparities in pay. National employees receive significantly more than site-level employees who do most of the work -Outdated rules for students (women could wear earrings and nose piercings but men could not). Very strange for an organization so focused on DEI

2 people found this review helpful

Director of Talent Scouting

We appreciate you providing feedback as it helps us to get better. While we know that we're not where we want to be, it's good to see that you felt the impact of our mission on the lives of young adults. In an effort to get better, we'd love to hear more detail about your advice to management so that we can ensure that there is a clearer promotional path and more accountability for leadership. Feel free to reach out to feedback@yearup.org with more detail.

4. 5.0
      Current Intern, less than 1 year

Year Up Program

Jun 9, 2021 - Student in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is non-profit organization that creates opportunities for young adults from underrepresented groups and tackles systemic historical issues impacting the US. It allows young adults to gain relevant training and business communication course that top companies are looking for in qualified new employees. Along with business related course, students have an opportunity to gain insight and course in a specific technical track that allows the students to learn relevant and requested knowledge of technical roles requested by our corporate partners. Lastly, students earn the opportunity to be apart of a 6 month internship with top Fortune 500 companies that are looking for interns.

Cons

It is a year long program that requires planning ahead of time to make sure you have time to commit to the overall program.

5. 5.0
      Current Intern

Closing the Opportunity Divide

Jun 24, 2021 - Business in Providence, RI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Year Up teaches the necessary skills to prosper in a corporate environment. They truly care for their students and they make great efforts to create a community. Once you graduate you are locked into a professional network for life. They work with external resources to help students who need financial assistance and provide mentors and student services specialists to help them stay on track. I am beyond grateful to be a part of this program and I recommend it to all young adults who come from low-income backgrounds or those who are looking for a stable career path.

Cons

It is a lot of work, but it's worth it!

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Social justice, with a catch.

Jan 4, 2021 - Partnerships Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The mission, when it works - is admirable. There certainly are instances where young adults are able to achieve significant upwards mobility through internship and job offers. As a staff member, virtual work has improved workplace flexibility. Most coworkers are nice and easy to work with.

Cons

Interns are paid a sub-minimum wage “stipend” for full-time work. Less than 50% of interns are offered a job offer after internship, and their is a significant opportunity cost for young people doing the program. At times, it feels as if the organization is exploitative of its participants. Yes, it opens doors, but it does nothing to challenge the white supremacist culture within it exists, and it also forces young people to work extremely hard, for very little pay, hence the exploitation. Corporate partners buy internship seats for a premium, and very little of that money ends up trickling down to the interns that are doing the actual labor. Work life balance is difficult, “self care” is catchphrase that is rarely actually implemented. There is very little room for professional growth, and yet the organization expects all employees to chart out goals and a professional development plan (which is essentially making more work for employees, while not leading to any actual promotions). Year Up acts like a corporation in hierarchy, decision making and reviews, but provides very little opportunities for growth of pay and career advancement.

16 people found this review helpful

Director of Talent Scouting

We're always looking for ways to grow and improve, so your thoughts have illuminated the organization's growth areas. Thank you for pointing out workplace flexibility as a highlight. Your review about intern compensation is helpful, and we'll be sure to relay that feedback to the appropriate leaders. Overall, we seek to understand how we can build professional pathways that feel tangible and accessible for all employees, and please know that your advice is appreciated. If you feel comfortable and would like to share more about your lived experience at Year Up, please reach out to feedback@yearup.org to continue the conversation.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Feedback Culture.. Fact or Fiction

Aug 15, 2021 - Admissions
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity to work with great group of you g adults and learn while teaching - great feedback culture

Cons

The standards in which we hold the young adults to are not the standards by which the CEO holds the leadership. Works in silos and work environment is toxic.

2 people found this review helpful

Director of Talent Scouting

Your feedback is essential to our path to improvement as an organization and your experience tells us that we still have a lot to work on. We're glad that your experience working with young adults was a highlight of your time at Year Up. The "health" of our leadership team is critical to the success of our organization and impacts the experience of our staff, so we appreciate the detail here. We will most certainly review this feedback and weave it into our planning. If you'd like to add more context, please reach out to feedback@yearup.org.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work - mission-driven!

Jun 6, 2021 - Associate Director, Sales Services in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Rewarding and impactful work, value-driven coworkers

Cons

Lots of time spent coaching young adults, which can be emotionally taxing.

9. 3.0
      Current Employee

Specialist Headline

Jul 29, 2021 - Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Helping young adults get into a career instead of a job

Cons

Role to Pay is off

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Hard work but worth the reward

May 3, 2021 - Specialist in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and young adults are amazing

Cons

High turn over and the layoff came at a very tough time.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 48 Reviews