Yellow Pages Reviews | Glassdoor

Yellow Pages CEO David A. Eckert
David A. Eckert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is a huge disconnect between upper management in Montreal and the teams in Toronto (in 13 reviews)

• Very inflexible in terms of work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

"Don't work here if you are looking for a career"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Yellow Pages as a contractor

Pros

Good people to work alongside

Cons

Horrible turnover and misdirection in practices by company execs

Advice to Management

Work on communicating with employees better during transitional periods.

"Poor Pay, Drudge Work"

Former Employee - Content Writer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Content Writer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The CEO was a well-intentioned man but seemed out of his depth. His business was failing when I was there. Couldn't inspire his employees that he knew what he was doing.

Cons

The culture was too young & immature. Even the managers were too young. They were managing people far older than them & didn't have the life experience to do so.

Advice to Management

Need to work on effective communication with employees. Quit ignoring problems. This is why the turnover rate is so high.

Sep 28, 2017 – Yellow Pages / Pages Jaunes - Canada

High morale and employee well-being are of the utmost importance not only to HR, but to all departments across the company. We actively seek out areas and ways to improve and work with all managers... More

"computer and network operator"

Former Employee - Computer Network Operator in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Computer Network Operator in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at Yellow Pages (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was a great work environment, you can learn new technologies

Cons

It's a shame the company moved the data center back to Canada

Yellow Pages Response

Aug 11, 2016 – Coordinatrice image de marque, réseaux sociaux / Brand Coordinator, Social Media

Thank you for your comment. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

"Get on the lifeboat with an updated résumé"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Yellow Pages (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers; we band together to get through the day. Dark humor is a must. We get on Glassdoor and compare notes with the other offices in Canada. Work stays at work (until you wake up the next morning to do it all over again). Starbucks is a 10 minute walk away when you desperately need to leave the building.

Cons

The job itself is very repetitive and mundane with little gratification. You can't save much (if anything) with the pay. General office moods don't seem to get above "meh" on a good day. It's definitely not what it used to be, and maybe to reason I stayed is because I hoped it'd improve.

Much of the ad production has now been outsourced to a company overseas; doing that caused a staffing change in which some great people were let go.

Little career advancement in this office unless it's a lateral move. Any remotely interesting jobs are in Montreal, and it's not likely they'll hire within for that, no matter how qualified one is.

As far as communication goes, the left arm often doesn't know what the right one is doing. It's difficult to be on the same page with other departments. Some senior sales managers don't know how to use the main systems the reps (they're employees) use daily. Doing your best doesn't mean anything when you're overruled or capitulating to sales staff because they either can't (or refuse) to correct mistakes.

Advice to Management

Keeping the lines of communications open during latest purge was appreciated. I can only hope for the same when my job goes.

Please make sure the sales staff (reps and managers) are on the same page training wise. It's difficult to care about doing a good job when people making two or three times as much as you aren't doing theirs.

Don't use the company's transformation as an excuse to not pay people a decent wage. If you want people to stay, be happy, and care about their jobs, pay them enough so they can SAVE something instead of living paycheck to paycheck. Stop being so cheap. I've recommended working at YPG in the past with full disclosure of my opinions so I could get the referral bonus.

Stop treating the Indy office like the red-headed step child of the company.

Yellow Pages Response

Thank you for your feedback. High morale and employee well-being is of the utmost importance, not only to HR, but to all departments across the company. Through our employee engagement survey... More

"it was ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

working with a few of my coworkers was fun, we had a great rapport and enjoyed being with each other. we all were pretty much unhappy there so complaining to each other was comforting.

Cons

it was a bit disorganized of a company...constantly moving us around to different desks, management came and went. eventually the office merged with another and everyone was laid off-thankfully after i left and moved to another state.

Advice to Management

none, most of them are either in other jobs or transferred to the other office that they were merged with so any advice would be useless

Yellow Pages Response

Thank you for your feedback. As in other companies, we periodically review our structure to ensure we have the proper skillsets. Considering our ever-evolving industry, our organizational structure... More

"Bad place"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good offices, clean place, the Indianapolis office is in a nice building. Cubicles are clean and nice

Cons

Lots of nepotism, low pay, they try to make it look like its a job for smart people while it's just a warehouse undercover.
    Managers are a crew that practices nepotism and promotions based on how close you are to the crew.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending you are what you are not.

"No clear direction, too much dead wood"

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time

Pros

Salary is very competitive since they have no choice given the high turnover.
    Maybe a new CEO will clean house.

Cons

No decision-making AT ALL.
    If you are not in IT, you are worthless. Good luck marketing!
    Office politics like I have never seen before.
    This company is doomed.
    Everyone talks about everyone else behind their backs.

Advice to Management

Declare bankruptcy NOW. Forget competing with Google. Soon, Google won't even allow your results on their results page.

8. "Bad"

Current Employee - Web and Graphic Designer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Web and Graphic Designer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dishonest corporation that takes advantage of hard working people, particularly foreigners. Yellow Pages Group Canada discriminates against foreigners.

Cons

Too much overtime, not paid enough

9. "Fine for entry level or if you really just need a job for the moment."

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time

Pros

Can build basic experience when you don't have any.

Cons

Poor training (when there is some). Low wage. Low raise - if you're given any. Lack of promotional opportunities. Restructuring has caused waves of layoffs and leaves most unsure if they'll have a job within the next year. Passive aggressive management.

Advice to Management

Even though it's a chore, spend some time caring about the substance of the matter/problem. Find ways to make pro-active, long-term improvements instead of knee-jerk reactions to everything.

"I'm glad I wasn't there for very long!"

Former Employee - Manager in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Glendale, CA

Pros

I had a short commute, and my team members were wonderful as well.

Cons

Management had SEVERE communication issues, lots of people were in upper management roles who had no business being there, and it was generally a very disorganized place to work. My own manager was about as hands-off and absentee as you can get, which did not bore well for my own career goals. Many jobs were undefined, and there was a huge lack of mentorship. There were layoffs for no apparent or feasible reason, and the morale was extremely low. Not sure how it is now, however. I hope things have changed for the better!

Advice to Management

Hire competent people to run the show. Listen to your employees more. Give them better opportunities for advancement.