Yellow Pages Reviews | Glassdoor

David A. Eckert
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Very inflexible in terms of work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• There is a huge disconnect between upper management in Montreal and the teams in Toronto (in 13 reviews)

"Great Pay, that's it."

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time

Pros

The pay was really great.

Cons

The corporate structure was a joke.

"sales rep"

Former Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work from home and have the ability to work your own hours

Cons

where should I start. the management is all trash. They do nothing to help you at all. 4 managers have been fired in months and replaced with no one. The product doesn't work and you have to lie to every customer to try and sell.

Advice to Management

you suck

Sep 28, 2017 – Yellow Pages / Pages Jaunes - Canada

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to read that your experience did not meet the standards we’ve set for ourselves. We are happy to share that we offer competitive benefits and work-life... More

"YP is ok"

I worked at Yellow Pages (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commissions were really good. Made over $50k in 6 months. But they changed compensation plan tremendously

Cons

Lowered compensation plan and have to find leads to call all day

"Easy and relaxed, but a dead end job"

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No stress, flexible hours, easy, and great coworkers. We all kind of feel like we're on a sinking ship, but it's a comfortable ship with good people to talk to as the ship sinks. We can take time off pretty much any time we need it, and if you're good at your job, you can spend a good portion of the day hanging out. Most people probably spend 30-40% of the day working. I never have to take work home with me, not ever!

The managers and senior managers all kind of share the same pain as the grunts, so they understand and are empathetic towards us.

Cons

Low pay, no growth opportunities. It's very unlikely that in Indianapolis you will ever move beyond your current position. The prospect of layoffs always feels a little too present. Pay is well below average, and we see no signs that will ever change. There is almost no motivation to work harder or perform better, because the best employees and the worst employees will both never go anywhere. Very little reward or consequence for job performance.

Corporate leadership pays lip service to employee engagement, but little more. Even after we say exactly why our morale is low, executives dismiss and deflect to latch onto unrelated issues. Caring about how employees feel stops COLD above the senior managers.

The sales team seems to have largely given up, and shifts blame to production teams. Because we rely on them for our jobs, we're all doomed when they fail to perform.

There are no exhaustive training programs, unless you count a Lynda subscription, of which we are officially allowed 8 hours of training time...per year. The digital production teams are supposed to be the future of YP, but we're certainly not treated like it.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Don't just say you take employee engagement very seriously, then deflect our concerns and say you think it's actually something else that's wrong. We know what's wrong; we live it.

Pay us what we're worth to the company. If we feel like we're worth little, we'll work like we're worth little.

Since our job is entirely on the internet, let us work from home sometimes. By flatly denying this, corporate demonstrates they have no trust or confidence in employees.

Reward high performers, and not just hopefully at the beginning of the year, if everyone else does well too. Don't make the managers and senior managers go behind your corporate backs to offer unsanctioned benefits for employees.

"Senior Manager, Toronto"

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    I have had the chance to meet some good people over the years, I had a great career and I have learned a lot.

Cons

Very few people with integrity left.
    Politics became worse than 4-5 years ago when we thought it was the worst possible – it is all about me (the one in power). There is no question if we are doing it right or if you just care about the team to be successful: Are you with me or against me? That is it! And not even that: do they THINK you are against them? well, you are out! Too much is about perception not reality.
    Way too many layoffs and a lot of fear who is next one out, depending on what director comes in power and where are they located.
    The union should realize that they are part of the problem: if people come to work to cheat and waste as much time as they possibly can, the business can not be successful and that is a vicious circle: you do not have a company to work for, so no more job.

Advice to Management

Stop lying about the reality on the floor just to make you look good at the end of the year. Stop sending numbers that you do not even know what they represent just to make up a nice PPT presentation so the VP can congratulate you. It is short lived and everyone will talk about it. If you do not admit you have problems, you can not start fixing them. It is true that made me unemployed, but at least I can sleep at night that I did everything in my power to fix something.

Feb 24, 2017 – Yellow Pages / Pages Jaunes - Canada

At YP, we try to offer a collaborative, transparent and interesting work environment for all our employees and we’re sorry to hear that your experience did not meet the expectations we’ve set out for... More

"Business One"

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Building phone books for all over the US, keeping the phone book alive.

Cons

The business failed, customers were looking for more technology based advertising.

Advice to Management

Keep working with customers in the technology based advertising.

Yellow Pages Response

Aug 11, 2016 – Coordinatrice image de marque, réseaux sociaux / Brand Coordinator, Social Media

Thank you for your feedback. We have been in a digital transformative environment for the past few years and we are happy to share that digital revenues represents today over 65% of our total... More

7. "Temp work is poo, bad management - but great snacks!"

Former Contractor - SEO Analyst in Glendale, CA
    Former Contractor - SEO Analyst in Glendale, CA

I worked at Yellow Pages as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Junk food stock pile, name brand, not badly micro-managed.

Cons

Not good feedback/training. Horrific communication. The culture is careless but I've heard it depends on which dept. you're in.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees.

8. "Not invested in staff"

I worked at Yellow Pages (More than 10 years)

Pros

good people to work with

Cons

have to kiss up in a major way to get anywhere no matter what your numbers
    not invested in staff. They cut wages and re-worked the commission plan promising that it wouldn't change the way you were paid. Who can believe that?

Advice to Management

None.

9. "QA for yellow pages"

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance, good work environment.

Cons

not much advancement, too much routine and bureacracy

"Good design work if you don't have a degree!"

Former Employee - Graphic Artist Level III in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist Level III in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- They hire people with just high school diplomas.
    - Nice office environment.
    - Good relationships with managers.
    - Offer courses for advancing skills and experience.

Cons

- Salary is terrible.
    - Degrees are not appreciated.
    - Turnover is very common.
    - Software is out of date.

Advice to Management

Upgrade the software for employees and try to make it less like a sweat factory and more like a design shop.