Yellow Pages Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Yellow Pages CEO Julien Billot
Julien Billot

Pros
Cons
  • Very inflexible in terms of work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Poor upper management and communication (in 9 reviews)

"Easy and relaxed, but a dead end job"

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No stress, flexible hours, easy, and great coworkers. We all kind of feel like we're on a sinking ship, but it's a comfortable ship with good people to talk to as the ship sinks. We can take time off pretty much any time we need it, and if you're good at your job, you can spend a good portion of the day hanging out. Most people probably spend 30-40% of the day working. I never have to take work home with me, not ever!

The managers and senior managers all kind of share the same pain as the grunts, so they understand and are empathetic towards us.

Cons

Low pay, no growth opportunities. It's very unlikely that in Indianapolis you will ever move beyond your current position. The prospect of layoffs always feels a little too present. Pay is well below average, and we see no signs that will ever change. There is almost no motivation to work harder or perform better, because the best employees and the worst employees will both never go anywhere. Very little reward or consequence for job performance.

Corporate leadership pays lip service to employee engagement, but little more. Even after we say exactly why our morale is low, executives dismiss and deflect to latch onto unrelated issues. Caring about how employees feel stops COLD above the senior managers.

The sales team seems to have largely given up, and shifts blame to production teams. Because we rely on them for our jobs, we're all doomed when they fail to perform.

There are no exhaustive training programs, unless you count a Lynda subscription, of which we are officially allowed 8 hours of training time...per year. The digital production teams are supposed to be the future of YP, but we're certainly not treated like it.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Don't just say you take employee engagement very seriously, then deflect our concerns and say you think it's actually something else that's wrong. We know what's wrong; we live it.

Pay us what we're worth to the company. If we feel like we're worth little, we'll work like we're worth little.

Since our job is entirely on the internet, let us work from home sometimes. By flatly denying this, corporate demonstrates they have no trust or confidence in employees.

Reward high performers, and not just hopefully at the beginning of the year, if everyone else does well too. Don't make the managers and senior managers go behind your corporate backs to offer unsanctioned benefits for employees.

"Senior Manager, Toronto"

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    I have had the chance to meet some good people over the years, I had a great career and I have learned a lot.

Cons

Very few people with integrity left.
    Politics became worse than 4-5 years ago when we thought it was the worst possible – it is all about me (the one in power). There is no question if we are doing it right or if you just care about the team to be successful: Are you with me or against me? That is it! And not even that: do they THINK you are against them? well, you are out! Too much is about perception not reality.
    Way too many layoffs and a lot of fear who is next one out, depending on what director comes in power and where are they located.
    The union should realize that they are part of the problem: if people come to work to cheat and waste as much time as they possibly can, the business can not be successful and that is a vicious circle: you do not have a company to work for, so no more job.

Advice to Management

Stop lying about the reality on the floor just to make you look good at the end of the year. Stop sending numbers that you do not even know what they represent just to make up a nice PPT presentation so the VP can congratulate you. It is short lived and everyone will talk about it. If you do not admit you have problems, you can not start fixing them. It is true that made me unemployed, but at least I can sleep at night that I did everything in my power to fix something.

Feb 24, 2017 – Yellow Pages / Pages Jaunes - Canada

At YP, we try to offer a collaborative, transparent and interesting work environment for all our employees and we’re sorry to hear that your experience did not meet the expectations we’ve set out for ... More

"Business One"

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Building phone books for all over the US, keeping the phone book alive.

Cons

The business failed, customers were looking for more technology based advertising.

Advice to Management

Keep working with customers in the technology based advertising.

Yellow Pages Response

Aug 11, 2016 – Coordinatrice image de marque, réseaux sociaux / Brand Coordinator, Social Media

Thank you for your feedback. We have been in a digital transformative environment for the past few years and we are happy to share that digital revenues represents today over 65% of our total ... More

5. "Temp work is poo, bad management - but great snacks!"

Former Contractor - SEO Analyst in Glendale, CA
    Former Contractor - SEO Analyst in Glendale, CA

I worked at Yellow Pages as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Junk food stock pile, name brand, not badly micro-managed.

Cons

Not good feedback/training. Horrific communication. The culture is careless but I've heard it depends on which dept. you're in.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees.

6. "Not invested in staff"

I worked at Yellow Pages (More than 10 years)

Pros

good people to work with

Cons

have to kiss up in a major way to get anywhere no matter what your numbers
    not invested in staff. They cut wages and re-worked the commission plan promising that it wouldn't change the way you were paid. Who can believe that?

Advice to Management

None.

7. "QA for yellow pages"

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance, good work environment.

Cons

not much advancement, too much routine and bureacracy

"Good design work if you don't have a degree!"

Former Employee - Graphic Artist Level III in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist Level III in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- They hire people with just high school diplomas.
    - Nice office environment.
    - Good relationships with managers.
    - Offer courses for advancing skills and experience.

Cons

- Salary is terrible.
    - Degrees are not appreciated.
    - Turnover is very common.
    - Software is out of date.

Advice to Management

Upgrade the software for employees and try to make it less like a sweat factory and more like a design shop.

"Great experience but no future"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

- Met a lot of great people
    - Learned a lot about different ends of the business

Cons

- The company is in a "Return To Growth" phase right now, and nobody ever talks about what happens after they get out of debt - no future plans
    - They care too much about selling their products that they aren't paying enough attention to the customer-care portion of the sale. They sell a website and there is no follow-up to ensure the customer is getting what they paid for. It's a numbers game - and the numbers (targets) are now extremely aggressive due to the amount of debt the company is in.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees informed and try not to just focus on making the sale - that's not all that matters in the long run. Word of mouth is the best form of marketing a company can receive, and when the feedback is strictly negative it reflects poorly and deters future customers from coming your way (or prevents returning customers)

"They support bullying"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good employee discounts, nice employee events

Cons

Constant lay offs, bad location for the office (nun's island) favoritism, they give way too much power to the union and let employees win

Advice to Management

Recognize the good employees and fire the bad ones. Stand behind the decisions you make rather than hide once there is consequences

Feb 22, 2017 – Yellow Pages / Pages Jaunes - Canada

We’d like to thank you for sending your feedback. We take employee comments very seriously. In fact, we continuously ask our employees for their feedback on their work as well as the company’s ... More

"Media Sales Consultant"

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time

Pros

Ability to make great $, excellent training

Cons

Poor management (many of the good ones have left and the ones we are left with were inexperienced); Poor leadership (I felt the new VPs were often too young, unprofessional and were advanced into roles they were not ready for); alot of stress and pressure; unrealistic targets; poor communication throughout the company -- you are home based and have little ability to meet your coworkers and associates from other depts. Products are overpriced so proving value to clients is difficult. As a new rep, you will get accounts that others do not want and maintaining and growing the account revenue is an upward battle.

Advice to Management

Stick up for your reps and employees, the leaders at the top don't know what is happening on the ground level.

Feb 11, 2017 – Yellow Pages / Pages Jaunes - Canada

As our company continues to grow in the ever-evolving digital space, open communication throughout the company remains a key pillar in our ability to succeed. At YP, we take employee comments very ... More