Yellow Pages Reviews | Glassdoor

Yellow Pages Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Very inflexible in terms of work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Senior Management have little to no experience as manger (in 6 reviews)

1. "Fun place to work, uncertain stability"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees seem pretty cool, they have a fairly laid back attitude and as long as you are pulling your weight you are pretty much free to go about your business. Fairly flexible schedules- pay was decent as well.

Cons

I felt that the benefits could be better- pick up more of the tab on the health insurance- because the employee shoulders most of the cost. There are lay offs from time to time- but more on the print side- so be wary of that... go for digital positions those are more likely to be stable.

Advice to Management

Try not to play favorites. It discourages others from wanting to try to move up in the company.

2. "Hardwork, could be better pay"

Current Employee - Web Builder in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Web Builder in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice management
    Nice staff
    Good location
    Help co-workers
    Good work environment

Cons

Low pay
    Hard work
    Lack of structure
    Out of date software

Advice to Management

Better structure, better training for new employees, better pay

3. "Bad"

Current Employee - Web and Graphic Designer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Web and Graphic Designer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dishonest corporation that takes advantage of hard working people, particularly foreigners. Yellow Pages Group Canada discriminates against foreigners.

Cons

Too much overtime, not paid enough

5. "Fine for entry level or if you really just need a job for the moment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time

Pros

Can build basic experience when you don't have any.

Cons

Poor training (when there is some). Low wage. Low raise - if you're given any. Lack of promotional opportunities. Restructuring has caused waves of layoffs and leaves most unsure if they'll have a job within the next year. Passive aggressive management.

Advice to Management

Even though it's a chore, spend some time caring about the substance of the matter/problem. Find ways to make pro-active, long-term improvements instead of knee-jerk reactions to everything.

"Good design work if you don't have a degree!"

Former Employee - Graphic Artist Level III in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist Level III in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- They hire people with just high school diplomas.
    - Nice office environment.
    - Good relationships with managers.
    - Offer courses for advancing skills and experience.

Cons

- Salary is terrible.
    - Degrees are not appreciated.
    - Turnover is very common.
    - Software is out of date.

Advice to Management

Upgrade the software for employees and try to make it less like a sweat factory and more like a design shop.

7. "The company encourages a close knit relationship with all coworkers"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Deerfield Beach, FL

Pros

Everyone is very supportive, and we are all very good friends. The pay is fair, and the benefits are outstanding

Cons

The work is tedious and very detail oriented.

Advice to Management

More interaction between office branches

8. "it is a way to make a living"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

Pros

the commision structure is uncapped

Cons

cold calling need a better way of leads

Advice to Management

communication

"I'm glad I wasn't there for very long!"

Former Employee - Manager in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Glendale, CA

Pros

I had a short commute, and my team members were wonderful as well.

Cons

Management had SEVERE communication issues, lots of people were in upper management roles who had no business being there, and it was generally a very disorganized place to work. My own manager was about as hands-off and absentee as you can get, which did not bore well for my own career goals. Many jobs were undefined, and there was a huge lack of mentorship. There were layoffs for no apparent or feasible reason, and the morale was extremely low. Not sure how it is now, however. I hope things have changed for the better!

Advice to Management

Hire competent people to run the show. Listen to your employees more. Give them better opportunities for advancement.

"A good place to work if you're just looking for a steady, low-stress job"

Pros

The people who work there are really nice, and the benefits are good. You also don't have to worry about work outside of working hours, which is pretty great.

Cons

You're not rewarded for working hard or for doing great work, and you aren't punished for slacking off. As a result, there's a huge disparity in work ethic and productivity, but not in salary.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more of an incentive to work hard.

Yellow Pages Response

Feb 20, 2017 – Yellow Pages / Pages Jaunes - Canada

We hear you. Employee engagement is critical to the success of any company. That’s why we’re constantly trying to find ways to recognize our employees’ accomplishments. There’s no one-size-fits-all ... More

"Easy and relaxed, but a dead end job"

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No stress, flexible hours, easy, and great coworkers. We all kind of feel like we're on a sinking ship, but it's a comfortable ship with good people to talk to as the ship sinks. We can take time off pretty much any time we need it, and if you're good at your job, you can spend a good portion of the day hanging out. Most people probably spend 30-40% of the day working. I never have to take work home with me, not ever!

The managers and senior managers all kind of share the same pain as the grunts, so they understand and are empathetic towards us.

Cons

Low pay, no growth opportunities. It's very unlikely that in Indianapolis you will ever move beyond your current position. The prospect of layoffs always feels a little too present. Pay is well below average, and we see no signs that will ever change. There is almost no motivation to work harder or perform better, because the best employees and the worst employees will both never go anywhere. Very little reward or consequence for job performance.

Corporate leadership pays lip service to employee engagement, but little more. Even after we say exactly why our morale is low, executives dismiss and deflect to latch onto unrelated issues. Caring about how employees feel stops COLD above the senior managers.

The sales team seems to have largely given up, and shifts blame to production teams. Because we rely on them for our jobs, we're all doomed when they fail to perform.

There are no exhaustive training programs, unless you count a Lynda subscription, of which we are officially allowed 8 hours of training time...per year. The digital production teams are supposed to be the future of YP, but we're certainly not treated like it.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Don't just say you take employee engagement very seriously, then deflect our concerns and say you think it's actually something else that's wrong. We know what's wrong; we live it.

Pay us what we're worth to the company. If we feel like we're worth little, we'll work like we're worth little.

Since our job is entirely on the internet, let us work from home sometimes. By flatly denying this, corporate demonstrates they have no trust or confidence in employees.

Reward high performers, and not just hopefully at the beginning of the year, if everyone else does well too. Don't make the managers and senior managers go behind your corporate backs to offer unsanctioned benefits for employees.