Yellow Pages "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Yellow Pages Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jan 14, 2020

2.8
Yellow Pages CEO  David A. Eckert
David A. Eckert
Pros
Cons
  • "Clients are not happy with their experience with YP for the most part(in 35 reviews)

• "Although the people I worked directly with were great, it's obvious that upper management has no idea what it's doing(in 30 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"toxic environment"

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

some of the people were rockstars

Cons

upper management was not organized or forthcoming and could not communicate company goals clearly.

Yellow Pages2019-05-20

"Troubled Company"

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time

Pros

The people you work with day-to-day, the average employees, really do seem to care about their jobs.

Cons

Upper management seems to have no idea what they are doing and are not connected enough to what goes on with day-to-day employees to figure it out. They had a real chance to make their business work and couldn't stick with one road map long enough to follow through. There's almost no opportunities for advancement and even if you do take one you have no idea if that job will exist in a year.

Yellow Pages2018-07-26

"I'm glad I wasn't there for very long!"

Manager in Glendale, CA

I worked at Yellow Pages

Pros

I had a short commute, and my team members were wonderful as well.

Cons

Management had SEVERE communication issues, lots of people were in upper management roles who had no business being there, and it was generally a very disorganized place to work. My own manager was about as hands-off and absentee as you can get, which did not bore well for my own career goals. Many jobs were undefined, and there was a huge lack of mentorship. There were layoffs for no apparent or feasible reason, and the morale was extremely low. Not sure how it is now, however. I hope things have changed for the better!

Advice to Management

Hire competent people to run the show. Listen to your employees more. Give them better opportunities for advancement.

Yellow Pages2008-08-07
  4. "A sinking ship"

Former Contractor - Quality Assurance in Burnaby, BC

I worked at Yellow Pages for less than a year

Pros

Very nice building and location, OK pay and benefits, my direct manager and almost everyone on my team was easy to get along with.

Cons

The company is going under. The quality of the websites, written content and advertisements I was working on (editing) was extremely poor and some of the policies for how they treat customers seem borderline criminal. Although the people I worked directly with were great, it's obvious that upper management has no idea what it's doing.

Advice to Management

Get a better product to sell. Stop the outdated, hostile marketing strategies/ threatening customers/ tricking people into subscribing to a subpar product.

Yellow Pages2020-01-14

"Great team vs Bad upper management decisions"

Former Employee - Digital Fulfilment in Burnaby, BC

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great team that is working hard to make it through with the current situation - Used to be a nice place to work - Management used to be able to make changes for improvements - Good benefits

Cons

- Many valuable employees have been laid off or have eventually quit the company. - The production efforts have been outsourced - Bad outsourcing services quality - The remaining team is struggling and very frustrated - Direct managers have their hands tied to apply any change to the current situation - No room to improvements - Flexible hours have been disabled. - Upper management is only focused on financial goals

Advice to Management

The decision you took last year of firing so many and valuable employees and to outsource the production efforts has been a huge mistake. It has deeply and negatively impacted the motivation of the remaining team and the quality of your products, which results in a very low customer's satisfaction. Please open your eyes and ears to see and listen the struggles that your employees are facing. This situation is no longer sustainable.

Yellow Pages2019-12-01
  6. "No shortage on changes"

Current Employee - Social Media Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed work environment, great benefits package, and vacation. Most departments will allow some work from home flexibility.

Cons

Many changes in upper management and executive-level mean changes from the top down. Makes it hard for the company as a whole to see a clear vision forward.

Advice to Management

More communication and transparency

Yellow Pages2019-09-25

"Unstable Management"

Current Employee - Media Consultant in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good relationship with colleagues. back in the days people in sales made good money

Cons

Bad upper management, All good managers got laid off during restructure which made all employees quit. Employees put the sales department on lock down, causing strike and etc. people had no salaries for 2 months

Yellow Pages2019-04-07

"Stay Far Away - RUN!!!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time for more than a year

Pros

Brand new office Great views of mountains Close to Starbucks Close to whole foods Close to skytrain

Cons

Company has undergone extreme changes in 2018 David Ekhart was hired out of retirement to let go of over 800 employees Canada wide to save money and “turn the business into a profitable company” he embodies and enables a “Trump-like” systemic growth plan which implements huge pay cuts to the unionized compensation plan for all sales channels. Management is disorganized and ill equipped to be helpful in any way shape or form for the greater good of the client experience and employees Junior employees are getting promoted into managerial roles they are not developed or qualified for but get the role because they are not up against anyone else interviewing for the position. Upper management does not train or develop the leaders to support, develop and grow the sales team into success. This past year the business lost incredibly talented leaders due to all the rash changes. The leaders that are left are coached to “micromanage” the sales people, and really is all they are capable of doing well. Overall the company does not manage its reputation online at all and because of the turn and burn sales mentality most of the 20 somethings in charge of handling B2B sales programs are left unfulfilled, nor do they care about the outcome for the customer. Customers are infuriated and in turn cancelling programs crippling the company’s chances for revenue growth by cancel after cancel after cancel. Back in the day YP was a great place to make a living now they will be paying sales ppl a base well below the poverty line in our market of BC $35k base and bonus payouts based on performance with unattainable sales targets. This place is a hot mess and once David Ekhart completes his plan to re-gig the compensation plan one union lockout at a time the only people left at YP will be managers, incompetent managers left scrambling to service hundreds of upset neglected clients. If you are considering a career at the old phone book think again. My advice to you is RUN!

Advice to Management

Invest in coaching and developing your leaders. People work for people. Stop promoting employees into managers just because nobody else applied for the job. You’d be better off hiring people who are qualified proven leaders from outside the organization so hopefully some change and new prospective can trickle into your hot mess of an organization. Invest in advertising and stop making excuses as to why things run in the chaotic manner in which they do. invest in coaching and developing your sales force ACT LIKE YOU CARE. Before launching internal sales tools and CRM systems ensure they are fully functioning!! Sales Reps spend 50% of everyday on the phone with tech support trying to trouble shoot sales in systems which are not fully developed to function successfully. Unrealistic sales activity targets are a complete joke when reps are up against systems that don’t work. WAKE UP! Your going to lose some great ppl next year because you don’t care.

Yellow Pages2018-12-04

"It was a great company back in the day! I was an OUTSIDE SALES Rep"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Toronto, ON

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked for YPG for over 20 years! it was a great company and i was very happy there back in the day!

Cons

As a former rep at Yellow Pages Group, it is sad to see the YPG ship sinking. Poor upper management for too many years! they got into the online space too late.

Advice to Management

keep up with the times.

Yellow Pages2018-10-02

"Account manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you like to be treated like garbage ? Perfect place You come one day after 7 years and night the company put a lock out on the employee!! What a shameful way to say thank you to the 140 families you just made starve for more than 8 weeks! If this kind of cie your looking for YP is the best destroyer of self confidence.

Cons

This cie doesn’t respect the employees They ( Upper management) care only about the bonuses and when they don’t get it . They took there frustrations on there staff. All manager are fake and not loyale to there words. The management never listen to the employees even when they ask us! ( fake environment) They put 140 families in the street : they have no empathy using a lock out !! they forced on the union. After that half of the manager asked to Quit! And YP increased there salary and offered catering everyday. #webuyyoursilence

Advice to Management

Horrible people that think about themselves first Increase salary year after year + huge bonus even if the company is dying . Never listen to any suggestions we make . We talk to the customers we know the reality.but nothing changes in YP. They crook the numbers so everything look okay. #liarsliars Huge numbers of people on sickness #burnout

Yellow Pages2018-11-08