Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch Reviews | Glassdoor

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch Chief Executive Officer Michael Chavers
Michael Chavers

1. "School Based Services"

Former Employee - Behavior Specialist in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Behavior Specialist in Billings, MT

I worked at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch full-time

Pros

-Enjoyed Co-Workers
    -Opportunities for training are offered and encouraged
    -Supportive Supervisors

Cons

-Overall mismanagement of company
    -Enjoyment of job is dependent on supervisor and team partner
    -High stress job with little recognition of employee needs from overall company despite supervisor attempts to do what's best for employees

2. "Good place to work if you like working with children"

Former Employee - Counselor in Billings, MT

I worked at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers to work with, good training to be better prepared for any crisis that may occur while working with children who have emotional issues.

Cons

Can be a very stressful job and the upper management sometimes makes decisions that are not beneficial to the people working directly with the children.

"A good place for young professionals beginning careers, or those changing careers to gain experience to take elsewhere."

Current Employee - Behavior Specialist in Roundup, MT
    Current Employee - Behavior Specialist in Roundup, MT

I have been working at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am provided with a lot of flexibility to perform tasks as I see needed, while maintaining company expectations.

Cons

Administration and upper management seem extremely disconnected to care providers. As a mental health provider, the benefits available to take care of your own mental health is abysmal.

Advice to Management

Spend ways to become better acquainted with your workers, especially in figuring out how your decisions and actions affect our daily work life. Do what you can to better take care of workers, who can have an extremely hard time taking care of the kids we serve.

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Counselor in Billings, MT

I worked at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

YBGR does a good job of keeping a good appearance to the community.

Cons

You are used to the point of burnout and due to that you have no energy to effectively deal with patient issues.

Advice to Management

YBGR is a scam. It is clear the money that goes into the system is only for the people at the top running the show. Lodge staff is always under-manned. But the admin building is overloaded with employees. The lodge staff is treated bad and unfairly. It is not about the children that that place claims to help. It is for the fat cats sitting at the top to make money. However, they do a great job at public relations and marketing so many people think it would be a great place to work, that is unless you have worked for them in the past. If you want to hate your job while not being appreciated along with horrible pay you should work here. This was the worst job I ever had.

"Great mission, great people, surprisingly unethical leadership and oblivious board of directors."

Former Employee - Assistant in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Assistant in Billings, MT

I worked at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mission, purpose, and vision of this nonprofit are absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, with Glenn McFarlane at the helm, the organization is lacking direction, professionalism, and ethics.

Cons

A culture of "the old boys network" mixed with ethical violations galore. Personally, as a professional, the unethical and unprofessional experiences displayed at this organization are to many to name.

Advice to Management

Advice to management includes replacing both the CEO and the board of directors 100%, ensure that all members are 100% unrelated to previous board members and founding members of this nonprofit. This will ensure an honest approach to providing for SED youth in the future.

"Former Youth"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The image of the Ranch was very helpful in my years becoming an adult. There are a few individuals that when put their personal selves into their jobs, can accomplish much in our lives, for those of us out-of-state admits. I was blessed for the time I have had with the Ranch.

Cons

As of my departure, There was limited to no transitional program for us out of state admits. Medication managements and resources were non existing. As an older adult, one could tell this was more of a financial decision than anything. I would like to add to the sentiments of others that there appears to be a rift between management and the direct care workers. Even during my time here, I have seen this. I also used to question the ability and training of the direct care, thinking that they are not much older than I and should have more than book sense to deal with us troubled youth.

Advice to Management

Return to the values that made the organization successful. The dollar value may be a slow growth under the original model versus now, but should the dollar cost you your reputation and integrity?

"Horrible"

I worked at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For psych residential care it does not pay that badly. They force you to have to do work off the clock in order to get it all done so that you don't get yelled at because it is not done but if you stay on the clock you will get yelled at too so....

Cons

Poor management, they will throw you under the bus and side with kids who are known to be manipulative because that will get their Medicaid payment when getting rid of you they think "we can always get another one."

Advice to Management

Hire right.

"avoid working here or sending your kids here. Good front, nice campus, but.. harmful to the well being of the kids.."

Pros

the residential staff are well meaning and their training program was a real asset to staff... but I have heard they recently closed this down.

Cons

As an on line staff, in a staff meeting, we were told to push kids buttons to keep them there otherwise they would lose funding and would be sent home.This was different kids that were doing well in the program. It truly is all about the almighty dollar there with the top heavy administration..

Advice to Management

Wouldn't know where to begin..... YBGR has lost the focus of its mission. The kids aren't what is important anymore, the money is their driving force, and the administration is VERY WELL paid plus most of them live on campus so they have no house payment.... "It makes a difference when you know somebody cares...remember?

"White washed tomb full of dead man's bones."

I worked at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch full-time

Pros

Lucrative, medical model, well known in Wyoming, Alaska, California, and Illinois for taking in out-of-state
    admits to residential.

Cons

Truth be known about the pretty little Ranch? They are $ driven and medical model to the T. They are In the game of taking in out-of-state hard to place residential admits which they have basically no accountability for with regards to quality of care. Those out-of-state admits tend to have longer lengths of stay which leads to higher revenues. Why are they even in Montana when 9 out of 10 kids are from elsewhere? Maybe just to sell their "image" to the elderly couple willing to donate their assets over to the supporting foundation in the name of Christ? They are incestuous with little accountability. This holds true in the outlying office locations as well. Children are central, and their welfare comes second to the almighty $. That focal point, is the leaven in the bread impacting everything else in the organization (from top to bottom).

Advice to Management

Management of the Ranch obviously know their own game. They will play it until the bitter end. It would behoove
    any potential donor, however, to spend some time evaluating the Ranch prior to making a contribution. The foundation is not the Ranch. They are separate legal entities. At most, only about 11% of the Ranches revenues would be from the foundation. About 85% come from private/public insurance. So in other words, be cautious. The foundation can accept a donation with restrictions in place on how that money is actually spent. I would highly recommend that option.

"Bad company to work for, good place to do good work with kids"

Current Employee - Therapist
    Current Employee - Therapist

I have been working at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch full-time

Pros

The opportunity to work with youth

Cons

This administration heavy company is disorganized and unprofessional. When it comes to employees they are just plain cheap, starting with their pay and benefits

Advice to Management

Focus on treating employees well, this is what will improve retention