Yellowstone Club "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Yellowstone Club Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Feb 11, 2019

2.9
Yellowstone Club Chairman & CEO Michael S. Meldman (no image)
Michael S. Meldman
Pros
  • "Ski pass, employee ski days, good pay, cheap housing for employees(in 8 reviews)

• "Beautiful scenery, cool supervisors and nice tips(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management practices little to no actual managerial techniques(in 6 reviews)

• "The pay is not highly superior to other resorts in Big Sky(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Management nightmare!"

Former Employee - Restaurant Host

I worked at Yellowstone Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ski pass, employee ski days, good pay, cheap housing for employees

Cons

First, because so many employees come to YC from other states/countries, a lot of people do not have cars. So YC provides transportation to and from the club every day. The shuttle I had to take from my housing was nearly always on time. But there were still major issues. First, the shuttle didn’t match up to the times employees were required to clock in. So sometimes we were forced to get to work an entire hour+ early in order to make it there on time. Then, once we got to YC, there was still a 10-15 minute shuttle ride up to our restaurant. This shuttle was the biggest problem of all because it did not come at times when people actually got off work. If you got off at 4:00, you’d be able to get on the shuttle. If the managers forced you to stay a couple minutes past 4:00, your next chance to leave wasn’t until 5:15. You were then stuck waiting for the shuttle for over an hour without being paid. Most days, I spent two hours on property that I wasn’t being paid for because of transportation. Then, we also had NO WAY to communicate with the shuttle drivers. Their boss was also the head of valet, and did not have any interest in helping us or communicating with us. If an employee needed to leave a shift early because they were sick or had an emergency, they had no way to ask the shuttle to come up early - and between 11:30 and 4:00, the shuttle didn’t come up at all. I witnessed an employee who was sick with the flu stuck at work for over 2.5 hours after being sent homebecause of this! Housing in itself is also a major issue. Some people are housed in Bozeman, which is at least an hour away. They have basically no say in whether or not they are housed there and forced into that commute nightmare. The place I was housed was a “guest ranch” in the summer. So usually this place operated like a hotel. One benefit was that we had housekeeping that came and cleaned and chanted our sheets every two weeks. But otherwise this place sucked. The employees in the office seemed annoyed that we were there. They have sleigh rides for the public every night, and the horses poop everywhere...so walking outside is like a minefield. A lot of roads on property are not paved, so walking anywhere once the snow begins melting in the spring is muddy and gross. There’s no cell service on property and the WiFi doesn’t work everywhere. This place also housed a lot of the J1 employees and at the end of season, accused them of breaking/stealing all the wine glasses that were “provided” in the cabins. problem was...no cabin came with wine glasses. And the only group of people accused were the Jamaicans. Back at work at YC, things were generally just a mess. Management only cared about the perks - potentially getting to hang out with celebrities, maybe getting promoted, etc. I’ve worked in restaurants all over, and this was the worst management ever. There was no assigned side work, which meant that we were all forced to pick up the slack for people who did nothing. Sometimes we would arrive in the morning and discover no sidework was done the night before, meaning we all had to do it. The communication was terrible - I was told I could always leave at 4:00, and was one day - out of the blue - reprimanded for doing what I had been doing every day for four months. Management played favorites, so there were times that the favorites were able to get away with things the rest of us could not. This also meant that some of us were punished or blamed for mistakes the favorites did, and were never given a chance to explain. This was such a problem with one host that one of the other hosts quit three weeks into the season. The communication issues were the worst. At the beginning of the season, my manager was also a new employee. He was responsible for essentially instructing us on how to take all the silverware and stuff out of storage and properly set up the restaurant. Since he was new, he didn’t know how things were supposed to be. When he asked for guidelines, none were given. He was basically on his own. Naturally, he found a new job a couple weeks into the season. I don’t blame him - I would have too! Upper management talks big - they tell you that this place is amazing because we provide such great service! Wrong. Service was, in my opinion, sub par. It would never have passed in any of the regular restaurants I’ve worked at (Ruby a Tuesday, Longhorn, local places). Oh! And the Jamaican employees I mentioned? They worked SO hard, were so nice, didn’t cause drama and were my favorite people to work with. They were not properly compensated for their work, and are now suing YC. Hours were long. Some employees went weeks without a day off, and EVERY DAY worked from 11:00 AM to midnight. Lunch was provided, but was disgusting and sometimes made people sick.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who actually know what they are doing - people who have real experience in restaurant management. Hire someone to be in charge of employee transportation. Stop overworking employees. Either properly compensate the J1 and HB2 employees or don’t hire them at all.

Yellowstone Club2019-02-11

"Most immature work environment ever experienced."

I worked at Yellowstone Club part-time for more than a year

Pros

-You essentially can’t get fired because of how understaffed the entirety of the company is. -Easy to progress if one is competent and thick skinned.

Cons

-I would hardly call the free meals food. -The tipping and service charge pool is a joke when looking at the type of clientele you are dealing with. -Level of maturity in multiple work environments equates to that of high school. -You’re promised everything yet provided nothing. -Upper management practices little to no actual managerial techniques. -Extremely cliquey work environments. -Absolutely destroying the surrounding physical environment. -Good luck finding a place to live in Big Sky.

Advice to Management

Do better

Yellowstone Club2018-05-20
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Hospitality in Big Sky, MT

I worked at Yellowstone Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

Looks great on the outside

Cons

Bunch of liars. If you're actually "good" at your job you either drink the coolaide or get the boot. If upper management sucks at their job they just move them to a new department or property within Disco. They tell you the tip pool is one way when in fact they're using that money for a lot of other things. It's legal in the state of Montana to do whatever they want w that money which is fine but you should be upfront w employees first. Also don't recruit people from other properties just to get them out here and be stuck for a whole season when they find out what liars you all are!

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves, you're not good at managing!

Yellowstone Club2014-10-03

"F&B"

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Server in Big Sky, MT

I have been working at Yellowstone Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you work with, and working at the beautiful YC

Cons

No opportunity for growth, long hours, Bad upper management

Advice to Management

notice the good employees

Yellowstone Club2014-05-06

"Members are great management doesnt care."

I have been working at Yellowstone Club

Pros

Great members. Ok co workers. Beautiful setting.

Cons

Upper management has no loyalty to employees that have been there for years. You as an employee are replaceable. Management will do anything members demand regardless of the law safety or morals. Oh yeah we have to check in through security and then a finger print scanner.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees.

Yellowstone Club2013-01-08

"Lacking in opportunities for advancement"

I have been working at Yellowstone Club

Pros

Amazing location, outdoor opportunities, benefits, employee meals

Cons

no communication from upper management.

Advice to Management

Talk with your employees, keep them in the loop on the future of the club.

Yellowstone Club2012-04-05