Yelp Elite Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life Balance - Tell me another company in NYC that actually wants you to leave at 5:30pm and take PTO to enjoy your life" (in 104 reviews)

• "Fully stocked kitchen, barista, amazing location in a really cool building" (in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • "The AE role can be challenging (high volume, speaking with business owners) but is also rewarding" (in 143 reviews)

• "Can be exhausting if you don't have a work/life balance (use the Gym subsidy)" (in 41 reviews)

1. "elite account executive"

Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits / solid work life balance

Cons

repetive / chargebacks and potential opportunity case

Nov 16, 2018 – People Operations at Yelp

Thank you for your review! Being an Elite Account Executive takes significant time, effort, and resilience, and we're thankful that you've chosen to build such a great, long-lasting career with us... More

2. "5 star career"

Former Employee - Elite Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Elite Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Yelp is the definition of a well-oiled sales machine. While I had a great deal of outside sales experience when I started at Yelp, I had no real inside sales experience. I started at Yelp Chicago towards the tail end of 2015 and had no intentions of staying long. 60 days in which is how long the Yelp Sales Training Program lasts, I knew I was going to be here for a while!

Being a part of such a hyper growth sales company that grew from 150-800+ employees in the 2.5 yrs I was there is an unreal learning experience. I was fortunate enough to have done quite well for myself during my tenure and was given many opportunities to move into different roles and positions in the company. I also was able to experience multiple Yelp offices.

Chicago was definitely a very different culture than the other offices, and certainly had it's times of turmoil that come with hyper-growth sales organizations; ie, lack of experience at the management level.

When the new head of office came in, he certainly had a challenge on his hands to turn the organization around, and he, like the gentle giant grabbed the we' folk and shook the place upside down. The effort and visible leadership he displayed was something I'd never seen before. Sitting down with him, he told me it'd take a while to get the office where he wanted it to be and sure enough overtime those changes began to take place.

Overall, the Yelp culture is 2nd to none. The people and relationships I created were and still are amazing. If you're new to the sales world, Yelp is the best place for you to start and grow your career in Sales.

Cons

Roles are very narrowed and defined. Your day to day is repetitive. If you don't speak your mind, you will be just another rep.

Sep 28, 2018 – People Operations at Yelp

Thank you for your feedback. We completely agree that it's important to speak your mind and be vocal with your manager about any frustrations you're encountering. Thank you for your contributions to... More

"The Quantity over Quality model rarely works."

Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at Yelp for a few years now and have had a lot of fun here. They do tend to hire decent people , the food in the kitchens is nice . If you want to get promoted, leave you brain at home, smile nod and say yes when your expected to and before you know you'l be a manager. I will admit you can learn solid skills here and make decent money.

Cons

- High Turnover
    - Inexperienced Management
    - Boys Club Atmosphere
    - Awkward Social Pressures Around Overtime

Yelp has quite a few problems, most concerning is retention. The company seems to have it in its mind that burn and churn is the best practice for current employees and seem to not mind if you leave because they will just replace you. The highs can be fun but are usually brought back down to reality when you realize your manager is a 22 year old college grad who has no life skills or experience other than the fact that they showed up at Yelp and shook the right hands and never questioned anything in their career to get promoted. Then unfortunately those people go on to become directors and when the going gets tough a strong manager needs to question things to get the right results and get their team back on track which is all but lost in this management circle of brown nosing yes-men. With all that said there is also the inevitability of the end of the month and maintaining your sales quota, and with this comes the awkward social pressure of repeatedly saying in meetings that all overtime must be approved by a manager first but if you leave early your not a team player so most people end up working without approval (which they rarely give) because they are pressured into it and not getting paid their worth.

If you want to move

Advice to Management

Every few months territories get smaller, we lose a perk here and another perk there and it all ads up to feeling insanely under appreciated. Please put yourself in these shoes and have your job be harder every month for years, then be given less opportunity to make the money you were and be told "just dial more". It's quite an odd phenomena, but like try making less money yourself and having your job just get harder because were too concerned with overhead and appeasing wall street then to cap it all off your only consolation is to just hear well you could make up for it if you just work harder. Year over year, month over month, there has been nothing exciting that's happened for employees here and nothing to better employees either.

Oct 5, 2018 – People Operations at Yelp

Thank you for your review. We agree that the AE role can be very challenging, which is an expectation we go to great lengths to set during the interview process. We want to make sure that everyone... More

4. "Great Company, Great People"

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High-energy environment, great benefits, great office perks (beer on tap after work, stocked kitchen, etc.), very clear expectations for your role and advancement. By far the best part of working at Yelp were the people - they value transparency and accountability, and as long as you work hard, manage up, and are coachable, you'll have a very good experience. It's a sales role, so you'll be doing cold-calling and trying to close clients with every dial you make, but the product is excellent and compensation is very generous.

Cons

Cold-calling small business owners isn't the easiest job if you don't have the temperament for it - the training at Yelp is excellent, but you need to be patient, have thick-skin, and be able to keep fighting for the next opportunity even after being shut down (and not always very politely) repeatedly.

Advice to Management

Stay interested in your workers personally, not just professionally, because the AE role is very powerfully dependent on your employees state of mind.

"Elite Account Executive"

Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health insurance is top notch. High quality and extremely cheap.

Cons

Here we go. Wolf in sheeps clothing, promised the world and you get intense micromanagement, feeling of constant stress. Unbridaled monotony of the same stuff, terrible vetting system. Same list of 250 businesses keep getting recycled and very soon the number is known and then you're blocked. Easy to get down and doubt yourself and abilities with outrageous expectations. Years ago they prided themselves on fun on not being the norm, today they are setting a new trend for the norm. And that is not for the better. Watching top end talent constantly leaving constantly saying they had enough and are moving on. The turnover is massive almost comically pathetic. And the response is make more dials, call this business again who your betting system says.

Advice to Management

In this game it's not about quality anymore, you blatantly want quantity and the whole quality aspect is no longer. That's why such a large massive amount of top talent keep leaving and looking for more. Company morale is as low I've I've ever seen. When easily 50% of your current employee base is actively wanting out your eyes are clearly blinded by your own delusions.

"Good for the resume, not for the soul."

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros to working at Yelp is you do get training in sales. However there have been some changes recently that make this a hyper aggressive strong arm sale. So if you are new to sales this may be a place to gain training with no prior experience. In addition to that if you last more then a year most other companies will have a certain respect for you. So a good resume builder if you can stick it out.

Cons

I am not going to rant and rave here, I want this review to be helpful to others rather then a place for me to air my grievances. The biggest con about Yelp is the culture. There is a serious lack of professionalism. The leadership is continuously trying to change the image of Yelp but what they seem to be blind of is the fact that the issue stems from them. People are mirroring you. When a 30+ year old woman, in a leadership role, is abbreviating her words to sound like the 20-something year old employees in office meetings and emails it is not putting forth the most professional example. My suggestion is to stop worrying about being cool or hip and focus in being business people running a multi-million dollar company and maybe your employees will follow suit. Lastly I’d like to point out the lapses in judgement when it comes to promoting managers. This does not stand for every manager, however recently the leadership seems to be promoting the same type of person. Someone who does not ask questions about anything, smiles and drinks copious amounts of the koolaid. I have personally watched them pass up some incredibly intelligent, innovative and hard working individuals because of whatever bs reason they thought up. I’m sorry but if someone who isn’t a manager steps in when their manager is out and leads the team to a almost record breaking a week I think they have adequately proved themselves over a 22 year old with an empty skull and bright smile. Just my opinion though. Lastly, the job is boring, mind numbing really. Before recent changes it was somewhat more amusing with the ability to be more consultative but now with RASS they basically want you to read off a script, not veer from that and push people to sign up for advertising after a 20 minute conversation.

Oh and one more thing, they say you “matter” but you don’t. You are one of 1000 other sales reps and your easily replaceable. They path they are on I am pretty sure they will be able to replace you with monkeys soon.

One last thing, the head of the NY office recently asked the 1000 employees to leave positive reviews here on Glassdoor so if you see a lot of 5 stars that could be why. The hypocrisy and irony behind that request is overwhelming if you know anything about Yelp’s policies on “asking” for reviews or soliciting positive ones.

Advice to Management

Look at other professionals at your level in business and try to act like them, rather than the fresh out of college kids you employ.

"Elite Account Executive"

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Building confidence with open cold calls, elevator pitches, qualifying, and closing
    AMAZING Benefits, Employee Resource Groups, Happy Hours

Cons

Base is capped at 56k once you reach this level. No more quarterly bonuses, not enough PTO time, work life balance is not encouraged, Micromanaging managers who have been promoted because they were top selling reps not necessarily because they were leaders

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, learn how to deal with diverse reps of color, gain emotional intelligence

8. "Elite account executive"

Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Uncapped monthly bonuses and commission structure and leadership is constantly fighting to better the day to day , lifestyle and product

Cons

Cold calls can be a bit of a pain , but most sales jobs require them . Also leadership should be more transparent

Advice to Management

Needs better dental and higher base pay

"Good training and internal promos, low starting pay."

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

one of the best beginner sales training programs in the bay area

Cons

starting pay is not market rate for bay area.

"Should have left earlier"

Former Employee - Elite Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, stocked kitchen, Consistent hours and weekends off

Cons

The culture has completely changed since I started at Yelp. Today's sales role position is not determined by how quick you can learn or how good you are at sales, but rather what territory you get. If you get stuck with a bad territory (which you most likely will if you start now) it will be a struggle to make sales. The top reps from each rookie class seem to have hit the lottery, as they are given a great territory, which they snowball into working themselves into a pilot program or receiving a second territory. Reps that struggle (which is about 95% of each rookie class) will be stuck with their territories and will only be able to switch with reps with other awful territories within their rookie class.

Let's say you are the one lucky rep from your class. You consistently get above quota every month while averaging 80 calls a day. You might get offered a promotion to franchise account Executive around month 10, where you make LESS MONEY. I've never heard of a promotion elsewhere where you have to plan for the dip in income after accepting a promotion. Becoming a Yelp mid-market rep or sales manager is similar to being the star basketball player on your high school team and trying to eventually go pro. It's possible, but extremely unlikely.

Within 3 months of working at Yelp, you will realize how much of a grind the job is and regret accepting the job in the first place. Most people stay to build their resume.

If you are fresh out of college, this does look good on a resume, but try your hardest to find something else before accepting this role.

Advice to Management

While I was at Yelp, there was a stretch where they got rid of territories and just gave each rep a mixed bag of businesses to call from all over the country. Each territory was given an equal amount of primes businesses to call. It was cancelled because the elite reps either left or started to struggle bc they now were on an equal playing field. It now seems like a good time to bring that back. There are very few reps in local at this point that are averaging 200% of quota. They now quickly get moved to inbound or franchise. Now would be the time to try that formula again