KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 101 of over 3,701 reviews

3.9
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

What people are saying about Yelp

Join the conversation on

Tech

3m

works at

Yelp

At Yelp we have “quarterlies” where we align with our manager on our growth over the quarter and if there is a “misalignment” in where we think I am then we chat about it to try and come to a mutual understanding. In my last two quarterlies I’ve felt like we’ve misaligned in multiple areas and I spent a ton of time explaining things that my manager didn’t know I did. So my question is… have you experienced something similar and what did you do to fix it. How can I gain visibility?

5 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Yelp and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great work life balance

Oct 28, 2021 - Elite Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work hard get compensated Able to grow and get promoted

Cons

Constant change Micromanagement depending on manager

2. 4.0

Amazing Culture and Career Opportunities with a few downsides

Oct 19, 2021 - Elite Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Training. Yelp trains you. If you have the grit and tenacity and buy into the "matter of when" approach, Yelp gives you skills that other companies want and other companies will poach for. I was a sad restaurant manager in Chicago before I was hired and Yelp's training launched my career, I'll forever be eternally grateful. -Culture. The culture has come a long way at Yelp and is one of the most special parts of working there. If you've experienced (or looking to escape) a toxic work environment, Yelp is a breath of fresh air. Hard work and effort are recognized and rewarded with praise and incentives. Managers now have a ton more training and are vetted more than when I joined in 2018. Back in 2018, if you hit consistent numbers (even low consistent numbers at target) and you were a decent person, upper management seemed to promote anyone with numbers and the character with most management training coming on the job. The new managers were training new hires (blind leading the blind) and not everyone was cut out for that kind of on-the-job training, leading to a lot of lost talent. The amount of work and consistency for new managers at Yelp means better Account Executives who are better trained by someone who was trained themselves, not someone winging every second of it. -Management. Upper management at Yelp are a special bunch of amazing individuals that I respect and admire, if you work here, get time in their calendars and learn from them. Jeremy the CEO is awesome and he cares, he really does. -Time off and career growth. PTO is great, 15 days is super fair and it jumps up to 18 after 2 years. Work ends at 5:30pm (or whenever you work out your schedule). When you put the phone down for the day, you are done. It's a nice feeling. Tons of career opportunities but mostly in sales. Just perform and work hard and do your best to pick out a few potential paths instead of getting complacent and staying in local sales forever. Local is where you start, but I personally feel it should never be where you stay too long -Benefits are the beez neez. Not just a full benefits package, but nice perks that I'd need a while to list. Talkspace for mental health therapy, professional coaching with Bravely (my favorite perk ever, I need a coach again), perks for parents, etc. Yelp does everything it can to take care of you outside of work.

Cons

-Think big picture and long term with your career or you’ll lose yourself in the nature of the job. It can be grueling if you let it get to you (it will get to you). Its sales. I went from being a restaurant manager wanted a drastic change in my life and I got it to launch my career, I’m grateful I did it for 4 years but it took its tool at times. -Sick time off. The job is extremely demanding at times and you only get 5 sick/ mental health days total. This is one of the reasons I left. It's 2021, I worked throughout the nightmare that was 2020, 5 days to look after myself if I am sick or just need a day is not enough. It's really not. I worked in every office group expect for the Phoenix office, and in NY I felt a lack of understanding for the importance of mental health days. Many reps on my team did not take them for fear of falling behind or getting challenged by managers, leading to burnout. Taking a mental health day was definitly dependant on your manager. I feel if you’re a veteran, and you perform and hit your numbers, there should be unlimited mental health days. Yelp puts so much effort into taking care of people, give your top people time to rest. -Accountability is a bit much (though at the start I wanted it more than anything). As a veteran, you will constantly be checking in with your manager (this is good for hitting metrics and having someone to check on you to help you reach numbers) but sometimes I just want to work and be left alone. -"stay in your lane" mentality depending on who your managers and directors are. What I mean by that is that you are a salesperson 1st, your numbers matter more than anything, and then you’re everything else 2nd, 3rd. Hit your numbers (or work your butt off) if you want a voice that makes an impact. It's sales, water separates from oil, it makes sense and it’s probably one of the reasons Yelp has stayed successful but other people who don't hit their numbers are not irrelevant. I am not saying that if you do not hit numbers, you will not be valued as a person, I am saying that if you want to make a meaningful impact, lead roundups, lead, give advice, hit your numbers, otherwise you'll be told to "stay in your lane." Again, depends on your manager and director most of the time. This can lead to people tying identities to their numbers, so if you’re having a bad run of a few months, its going to affect your self esteem and confidence until you turn it around, its just the nature of the job. -Salary. It’s a fun ride chasing the next salary promotion and I saw a considerable quality of life change when I jumped from Account Executive to Senior Account Exectutive. But after Elite AE, the salary hardly jumps (to be fair, by the time you hit Elite, closing is a lot easier so you will make more commission). After 5 years at yelp your salary grows by a few percentages, but not as much as jumping to another company and growing your salary by 10-20k with still commission to be earned. Thats why I suggest that you choose a direction you want to run in within your first year, DO NOT get complacent and comfortable in local sales. Although jumping into Local Client Partner and Managment, the salary does not jump at first either, which was a HUGE frustration for me. Management salary grows quickly with performance and the skills you learn on the job or 2nd to none, you just have to want it bad cause it wont pay that well when you start out. Local Client partner (the department where you upsell) is supposed to be a promotion but without a salary bump, I didn’t see the incentive to join (higher commission structure in LCP though).

3 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Former Employee

6 years at Yelp

Jun 4, 2021 - Senior Elite Account Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

You will meet the most compassionate, funny, and caring people and makes lifetime connections and friends. The job has clear cut expectations and gives you all the tools and training that you need to be successful. Anyone that works hard can succeed. I liked the AE role and never left it for 6 years. I like working with local businesses and helping them. I like how the commission structure clearly states how much money you can make. I struggled at first but after a few years I was making more money than all the people my age at a job where I could leave at 5:30 with no stress. I personally like structure and routine. I also like knowing exact metrics needed to succeed. If you are determined and work hard the sky is the limit for you. I stayed in the account executive role and was making six figures easily. I had the opportunity to be on the landing team in the Washington dc office. Personally I think the account executive role is the best job in the company.. The job changed my life.

Cons

The job is definitely challenging but that is every sales job. What makes this job special is that you will meet the most caring amazing people and I always felt excited to go into work every day. I will cherish the relationships I made here forever. Everyone supports one another and wants to help each other succeed.

4. 1.0

Not For The Weak

Nov 29, 2021 - Elite Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pro's, great training and team collaboration.

Cons

No comment, I rather not.

Yelp Response

Thank you for your candid feedback. We're glad to hear you found the sales training at Yelp to be of value and that your teammates were collaborative! We're saddened to learn that you may have not felt fully supported in your role. Managers at Yelp are fully invested in the professional growth and development of each individual on their teams and are always here to provide support where needed. We appreciate your 4 years of service to Yelp and wish you the very best of luck in your next role!

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good Place to Start

Oct 31, 2021 - Elite Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Culture and Pro Employee

Cons

Lack of Career Growth and Low Base Pay

6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Everything depends

Nov 4, 2021 - Senior Elite Account Executive in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- young crowd so its easy to make lifelong friends - easy to close deals - short sales cycle - uncapped commission

Cons

- get babied a lot more than other companies - could be really hectic if you're not good at yelp ads - there are resources that help you learn

Yelp Response

Thank you for taking a moment to let us know how things are going. It sounds like you've made some great friends at Yelp and are finding success in your role, which is great to hear! Our management style at Yelp is very hands-on. Our goal is to give ample support to our folks as they learn new sales skills and practice new tactics. This sometimes includes things like dropping in on calls to assist with closing deals or managers having team check-ins multiple times per day to ensure everyone is on track to achieve their goals. We encourage you to continue having transparent conversations with your manager about some of the concerns you're having so we can find ways to support you best. Our people are our secret sauce, and we want to do all we can to help you thrive!

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to grow your career

Sep 12, 2021 - Elite Account Director in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Yelp’s supportive company culture, abundant trainings and resources, uncapped commission structure, and leave early incentives make it an ideal company to thrive in and grow your sales career. Within 2 years of working in a sales role, I was able to more than double my annual gross income and I now have the option to leave at 2:30 pm every time I make a sale (as long as I continue to perform at a high level).

Cons

As with any sales role, it can be stressful.

Yelp Response

We're delighted that things are going great! Sounds like you're feeling supported in your role and finding plenty of room for growth. That's awesome! Keep up the great work, we're glad you're here!

8. 4.0

Yelp works

Oct 18, 2021 - Elite Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is competitive Culture is unmatched

Cons

Work life balance isn’t good

9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Yelp?

Nov 9, 2021 - Elite Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great starting point for entry-level sales exp

Cons

- Unreasonable amount of pressure - Strenuous effort for low comp

Yelp Response

Thanks for telling us about your time at Yelp. The Account Executive role is a great start to a rewarding career in sales, and it also offers experienced folks an opportunity to keep growing. We strive to give world-class benefits to our employees and focus on total compensation. This includes stock incentives, cash bonuses, 401(k) matching, and employer-paid insurance to name a few. All told, our compensation package is based on what our employees value most - total rewards. Thank you for your input and for your time with us!

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great for basic sales training

Sep 9, 2021 - Elite Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Here so Glassdoor will let me look at other reviews. Great first job out of college. Was with the company for 3 years great sales training if you get the right manager. Experience with successfully overcoming objections will help you in any profession

Cons

Mentally draining due to high pressure to achieve quota and beyond. They’ll hire just about anyone to be a sales manager

Viewing 1 - 10 of 101 Reviews