Find jobs for Junior Account Executive

3.2
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Yelp and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

love it

Jun 29, 2021 - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

culture team pay love. thankful

Cons

nothing. actually love this job & commission

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

It's fine for the right person

Jul 24, 2021 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

- It's a good place to start your career, though I wouldn't strive for a long term career within Yelp. - The other reps are some of my closest friends

Cons

- Management is okay. My first manager was amazing, my second was a NIGHTMARE. I lost several deals because when I needed manager access for certain issues with accounts, her exact response would be "what do you want me to do about it?" She SUCKED. - You are worthless if you aren't closing deals. I mean...WORTHLESS. I would constantly have to remind myself that I'm worth so much more than this job almost on a daily basis. - A bit cult like. No one likes being there ,but the managers spend way too much time trying to convince employees the job doesn't suck. - base pay is not even livable. - Yelp wasn't transparent about the commission structure, so I'll put it here: you have to sell $12,000 in ads PER MONTH before you get commission. On top of that, you only make $130 off of $12,000 worth of sales. I hope this puts things in perspective.

3. 5.0
    Former Employee

6 years at Yelp

Jun 4, 2021 - Senior Elite Account Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

You will meet the most compassionate, funny, and caring people and makes lifetime connections and friends. The job has clear cut expectations and gives you all the tools and training that you need to be successful. Anyone that works hard can succeed. I liked the AE role and never left it for 6 years. I like working with local businesses and helping them. I like how the commission structure clearly states how much money you can make. I struggled at first but after a few years I was making more money than all the people my age at a job where I could leave at 5:30 with no stress. I personally like structure and routine. I also like knowing exact metrics needed to succeed. If you are determined and work hard the sky is the limit for you. I stayed in the account executive role and was making six figures easily. I had the opportunity to be on the landing team in the Washington dc office. Personally I think the account executive role is the best job in the company.. The job changed my life.

Cons

The job is definitely challenging but that is every sales job. What makes this job special is that you will meet the most caring amazing people and I always felt excited to go into work every day. I will cherish the relationships I made here forever. Everyone supports one another and wants to help each other succeed.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

In this very competitive job market, find any other opportunity.

Jun 23, 2021 - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

There were some great people and this was a nice opportunity to get something on my resume post college without any experience.

Cons

Oh, where to begin. Salary is alright, not exactly competitive but becomes competitive if you stay there for 2 years+. The insane turnover rate was uninspiring, one day you'd walk in to a new teammate because, "Bob quit via email last night. Here's your new teammate Tom. Let's hit the phones!" During my tenure I witnessed people quit via text, walk out at lunch, leave notes on desks, and just not show up. The nonstop BLARING of America's Top 40 Pop Hits, I believe mentioned in several other reviews, is enough to make you never want to listen to music again. But it wasn't the next-level micromanaging, anxiety attacks, "sick beer kegs in the office", impractical daily metrics, or constant verbal abuse over the phone from business owners that really drove me out of there. One of my teammates and myself witnessed an incident where a teammate (who had previously had several 'incidences' that resulted in zero disciplinary action) said some incredibly vulgar things to my manager that created a very uncomfortable and hostile work environment. Once again, no disciplinary action, so the witnessing teammate and myself took the issue to HR. HR asked us to recap the entire scenario, vulgar words and all, which was uncomfortable for the two of us, but in the end it was his word against ours, and no disciplinary action was taken. My teammate quit the following day and myself not far behind her.

Yelp Response

Thank you for letting us know how things went during your time at Yelp. It's great to hear that you worked with some great folks and that Yelp was a great place to start a career after graduation. However, we're sorry to hear that your in-office experience wasn't exactly what you were hoping for. While the Yelp team now works from home, one of the best parts of our culture is that we take time to celebrate even the smallest of wins. When we worked in an office, that sometimes meant giving a high five to someone who just had a tough call, and other times it meant your team walking up to watch you hit the gong after you closed a deal! In a remote setting, we're doing all we can to foster a similar culture of celebration and team spirit. While this environment is exciting and inspiring for most, we understand it's not for everyone. We know that there is always room for improvement, and we continue to encourage and listen to the feedback of our employees so we can keep creating an environment that supports success, inclusion, and belonging for everyone.

5. 4.0

Experience with sales

Jul 30, 2021 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

-the team environment is cool -nice incentive -Yelp academy is great, doesn't just throw you in (3 months of training)

Cons

-no vertical career growth besides becoming management -we are doing the same thing every single day

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great experience

Jul 26, 2021 - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent experience that can be transferred to various other sales/marketing roles in the future!

Cons

Aggressive sales tactics as with most cold calling positions and nature of cold calling

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Do NOT accept this role lol

May 9, 2021 - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- coworkers can become your best friends - pantry - free cafe bar - benefit packages

Cons

- the entire role itself. if you love cold calling, getting cursed out at by business owners who have been contacted multiple times and still do not want yelp ads, and being micro managed by your manager and your director...this is the job for you. i only enjoyed coming to work for my co-workers/teammates. i loathed every second i was here and management will torture you with daily meetings on how they can help when literally...it's not you that can't close or sell. it's the fact these leads all have been contacted by yelp many times and hate us. even when you've exhaust your pipeline, they make you call business owners over and over again. management sucks. you are constantly being micro managed by your manager and they will play your phone calls out loud to your team and make your team give you constructive criticism. the day i put on my resignation, my manager literally still made me stay the whole day and "pretend" to work - so i had to still make dials and try to close. she didn't acknowledge me once, didn't come up to me, and was super cold and rude to me. within 5 minutes before dismissal, she then told me i could leave. she got mad at me for using my phone and pinged me to "try to look like i am working". horrible. also, NO CAREER GROWTH if you are in AE positon.

Yelp Response

Thank you for taking a moment to let us know how things went. By listening to the needs of our employees, we are able to make Yelp a great place to work for everyone. Last year, we recognized the need to address offensive clients and prospective clients who use racially-charged language in their communications with our employees. We do not want their business, and will not tolerate hate speech directed at our employees. We've also implemented resources to make it easier and safer for employees to report internal incidents of discrimination or harassment. We're also working to create more paths to leadership through sponsorship and advocacy, and to establish checks and balances around promotions. Your input is heard, and we'll be sure to share it with our leadership team. Your contributions to the team are appreciated and we wish you the best of luck in your next role.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great but end is near

Jul 22, 2021 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Product works, remote, speaking with different people and industries, have had some rewarding moments helping businesses grow

Cons

Politics, marketing department, stress, compensation, high dials, micromanaged

Yelp Response

Thank you for letting us know how things are going. Sounds like you're having an overall positive experience, and it's always great to have rewarding moments along the way! The Account Executive role is important now more than ever as AEs are helping local businesses reopen and get back on their feet with the help of Yelp Ads. Keep up the great work on this front, your contributions are valuable! We encourage you to lean on your manager about some of the concerns you're having. They're here to help you succeed and find ways to support you better. We understand there's always room for us to improve as a company, so we'll be sure to pass up your notes to our leadership team so we can keep making Yelp a great place to work!

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Stressful & Overwhelming

Jun 21, 2021 - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Benefits, provides enough income if you are fresh out of college looking for a new job in the city

Cons

-Constant pressure to meet deadlines for revenue which is usually unrealistic if you are given a poor territory -revenue is reliant on having a good territory which they only give to good employees. The best employee on our team was accidentally given one of the best territories as a trainee and did great so was consistently given better territories. Those that do poorly are given worse and worse territories then asked why they aren't closing enough -Must have extremely high output (150-200) dials a day -Was told I dressed 'unprofessional' for wearing leggings to work (I am a female) when the office dress code was casual and men were allowed to wear full tracksuits and baseball caps to work -Toxic work habits and environment, no work-life balance -Manager will put extreme pressure on your to close by any means necessary, whether that is bullying customers on the phone or threatening team members. Was actually told by a manager: "If I did as bad as you guys were doing today I would go home and kill myself" -Get berated by customers on the phone on a daily basis

Yelp Response

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback with us. We're concerned to hear about the interactions you described with your manager. We invite you to share more details about your experience at employeefeedback@yelp.com. We want to do all we can to foster an environment where everyone can feel safe at work. We appreciate your help with those efforts.

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Stay for a year or two and move on

Jul 7, 2021 - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun culture, good people, solid first job out of college to begin a career in sales.

Cons

It's a call center environment (sometimes) using aggressive tactics to one-call-close deals over the phone (very transactional). Leadership is meh.

Yelp Response

Thank you for your input! It's exciting to hear that Yelp was a great place to start your career as a new grad and that you enjoyed the folks that you worked with. We're truly lucky to have some of the best colleagues! The AE role is a challenging one that requires ongoing learning, an eagerness to learn, and adaptability. While our managers are here to provide continual support, we understand that this environment may not be for everyone. We appreciate your contributions to the team and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,869 Reviews