Yelp Marketing Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • at the end of the day you are just cold calling business owners (in 102 reviews)

• Work life balance is a bit off for those that are dedicated producers (in 32 reviews)

"Best Intern Experience Ever!!"

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp (Less than a year)

Pros

Yelp's company culture and work-life vibes makes for an all around incredibly rewarding experience. I've been working at Yelp, remotely, in the Orange County area for the past six months and honestly, I've ;earned the most from any internship I've ever had with Yelp. My internship with Yelp has taught me to manage my time wisely, to work with others in new environments and to truly gain valuable marketing experience. Yelp is so fun. Through the internship we had tons of team dinners, meet-ups, and even a paid business trip! I know, crazy right? I can't thank my hiring manager enough, I really had the best experience ever as an Intern and hopefully will return to Yelp again, one day!

Cons

The only downside is their internships are a set six-month internship and they rarely extend their interns as they wish to extend the opportunity to more students and interns.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting for the brand, and working to improve the general perception towards the Yelp community and service.

2. "Great job for a student looking for marketing experience"

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Yelp part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was able to work on my schedule for most of my work. Great if you are a student with a busy schedule. Also, you plan events with great small businesses around the city and get to meet a ton of interesting people.

Cons

Community manager likes to have control over everything and sometimes won't let you implement ideas on your own.

3. "Need to improve on internship."

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX

Pros

The company is well known and therefore good for your resume. Dallas community has a sense of togetherness an fellow yelpers are very welcome and friendly.

Cons

Manager never gave guidance, no mentorship involved; when you have a Marketing Internship, you should be learning about how it all works for example - when negotiating with businesses to have elite events there, intern should be there to take notes and learn. Did not happen here. Met with her once at the beginning and the rest was just work from home, turn up at events to set up and cross out names.
    It is essentially a copy and paste job where you copy and paste what they want to FB, twitter, IG. Manager was very autocratic.

Advice to Management

You should have a better Internship plan in place - especially one which has to do with Marketing. Train your managers to be more uplifting and to take care of their employees.

4. "Great learning experience"

I have been working at Yelp as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Yelp provides its interns with the opportunity to not only get a better understanding of the company itself, but also a firmer grasp on the field of marketing and communications. It also allocates a lot of personal responsibility to interns, so if don't come in the door looking for your hand to be held through all of your duties. Events are fun and allow you to better immerse yourself in the Yelp community.

Cons

Minor lack of communication between team members.

5. "A lot of fun"

I have been working at Yelp as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I actually learned a lot from my Community Manager. It was a great networking opportunity. You get a range of learning opportunities. I learned how to connect with small business owners as well as be exposed to planning big events with over 1,000 people attending.

Cons

I wish there were more opportunities to move up.

6. "Marketing Intern"

Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Honolulu, HI
    Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Yelp as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Unparalleled experience. The community manager is basically your mentor. Knowledge is unlimited in this job and can open many doors if taken seriously.

Cons

Minimal pay but expected as it is an internship.

Advice to Management

Keep writing.

7. "Amazing Internship"

I have been working at Yelp as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to shape the kind of role you play in helping the local Community Manager. Whether it's event-focused, content-focused, both, or something else entirely, Yelp gives you a chance to work on what you're passionate about. You also get to interact with tons of local business leaders in brainstorming event ideas all the way to bringing those ideas to life, as well as Yelpers who love getting involved in their local community. And I didn't even begin to mention all Yelp schwag and fun events you get to attend. ;)

Cons

Seriously, what's not to like?

"Marketing Internship- Awesome Resume Builder"

I have been working at Yelp as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Really fun company to work for. You work from home with a lot of one-on-one time with your Community Manager (CM). You get to work a lot of cool events in your community and meet a lot of new people. Dress code is usually casual unless specified otherwise. Free food & free beer on the reg. A great resume builder & conversation-starter. Endless Yelp Schwag.

Cons

Minimum wage, work a lot of nights & weekends, and you put quite a few miles on your car.

Advice to Management

More pay! Interns do a lot for their Community Managers!

"Marketing Intern"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The ability to work from home and hands on learning experience. Lots of perks in terms of getting to attend various exclusive events around the area.

Cons

While gaining hands on experience, there seemed to be a lack of direction from mentor. Rarely met in person and didn't learn much directly.

"Fun, easy internship in social media and community management!"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at Yelp as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fun office culture.
    - Creativity is appreciated.
    - Flexible hours.
    - Great way to get to know a new city through your job.

Cons

- No office orientation or training, tough to get to know people.
    - Interns don't get passes, so I had to be rung up every time I came to the office.
    - The hourly rate for interns doesn't meet the London living wage.
    - The company said that they legally "couldn't" renew my contract past one term. To my surprise, my replacement was there for two terms. Either they found a loophole in the "law" or I was terminated without cause. I didn't push the issue because it was a (below) minimum wage job outside of my field. I guess it worked out since I freelance for the company now.

Advice to Management

- Mandatory orientation. Yes it's annoying for everyone involved, but at least you'll all know each other's names.
    - Pay your interns the London living wage of £8.55, not the national minimum wage of £6.19.