Yelp Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • fully stocked kitchen, young culture (in 65 reviews)

• Work Life Balance is great with no work outside of the regular 830-530 (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • but that business owners mostly deride ("I can't believe that Yelpers are allowed to write whatever they want (in 86 reviews)

• Work/life balance is essentially non-existent unless employee is very good at saying no (in 28 reviews)

1. "Junior account executive"

Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing opportunity and great work environment. This is a sales role and the recruiters are always upfront about it, I have been here for a year now and the first thing I would say to anyone who wants to apply is to understand that you will be making a high volume of sales calls and getting rejection day to day. If you can feel confident in that and take advice from management then you should be fine. I feel lucky to be here because yelp is a powerful brand and most prospects you reach out to are recieving business from yelp, I also can appreciate that the yelp sales team talks to business owners like humans and is ready help whether or not they sign up for a product or service. I truly believe that yelp is fair to their employees by giving a base salary that was recently just raised. It is fact that reps that do extremely well can make over 100k easily but this is not every person. This is a great stepping stone and there are opportunities for growth like national teams and management roles. If you can not handle making a high volume of sales calls then this role is not for you.

Cons

This company has a young culture so often times those in management are in their early 20s in a new management role. They should be more fair about territories for reps, after being here for a year I can clearly see that some employees get an advantage and a new region means it just was worked by someone else (businesses get calls all the time but this happens in many sales roles and not just yelp). It would also be nice if there were more departments in yelp than just sales (there are other jobs but they are always hiring for AE roles) Also in shorter months you still have the same quota, even with taking PTO. This is one thing I always found stressful with work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep giving good opportunities to employees. Directors manage which terroritories go out to employees but it's not an even playing field.

2. "You'll have trouble finding a better company culture or better co-workers."

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, hands down. Imagine an office that hires fun, friendly, energetic and positive people. I made some of the best friends I will ever have here. My managers, directors and even the VP of local sales treat you with the highest level of respect. You are pushed every day to be the best version of yourself as well as to be disciplined.

Cons

Its sales. Sales is hard. People tend to feel strongly about Yelp and sometimes their preconceived notions about the company and the reviews can make the job difficult because of how emotional the conversations can be at times. The company provides a coffee bar with two baristas, and though the coffee brand changes every few months, the taste does not. Everyone in the office generally agrees that they hate the coffee but because it is free, its difficult to lodge a complaint about this.

Advice to Management

Management is great at what they do and if you work hard, you do get a sense that they want to help you in any way possible. Hopefully as the company increases its foothold in the local advertising space, base compensation can become more competitive with other tech ad sales roles so that a small element of the daily stress is mitigated.

3. "Poor Advertising Solutions - Free Redbull & Nothing Else"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Redbull, cool office. Training was fun. Then it got real.

Cons

They will promise you that you'll make tons of money. The truth is there are a select group of people about 10 out of 2000 in the office that actually make real money $80k plus. The rest are making their base salary and very rarely getting a commission check because goals are so unrealistic. Do yourself a favor and skip this place. A lot of false promises, fake people, and it is truly mind numbing work.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to Google.

5. "Work hard, get paid...pretty hard"

Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture, excellent people that work with you, diverse skillsets required, new perspectives gained on small business in the U.S.

Cons

If you don't perform, you will suffer for it. The base salary is low for living in or even near New York, people can sometimes become envious of your success if you're really driven.

Advice to Management

Just remember that you're not Google. Be humble and you will go much further.

"Great first job"

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Yelp was a great place to get my career started and learn how to sell.

Cons

There are not a lot of options to move around in the company in non-sales roles.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of talented people that come through the door that could contribute to the organization in a non-sales role.

7. "monotonous job"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great culture
    managers care
    benefits
    training is great

Cons

cold calling. all. day. long. 80 calls expected, 2 hour minimum talk time.
    never any change in your day. if youre not pitching youre calling businesses leaving voicemails and getting hung up on all day long.
    They are not upfront about the commission structure. you pretty much have to make your salary for the company in order to start making commission
    work-life balance is rough. 830-530, often expected to stay later.
    micro-managed, managers are looking at your metrics all day long.
    they say 5 promotions in 2 years, some promotions doesnt involved a pay increase, just a title change

Advice to Management

no need to come in at 830 when most businesses aren't even open yet.

8. "Awkward Career"

Former Employee - Former in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Former in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Having access to various things

Cons

nothing really loved my things

Advice to Management

Keep doing things.

9. "Nice!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Great corporate culture and awesome office.

Cons

A little bit like a frat party; which is both good AND bad.

10. "Elite Account Executive"

Former Employee - Elite Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Elite Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great learning experience
    - Great sales training
    - fun people

Cons

-stressful
    - management very young and it shows
    - base is laughably low

11. "Great culture"

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and company to work for. Managers actually care about you

Cons

Starting pay is low and the job is grinding.

Showing 148 of 1,083 reviews