Yelp 1,000 Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

1,000 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • fully stocked kitchen/snack bar (in 64 reviews)

• Work Life Balance is great with no work outside of the regular 830-530 (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • You will be calling small business owners all day asking them to spend money they don't think they have on advertising (in 84 reviews)

• Work/life balance is essentially non-existent unless employee is very good at saying no (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales MBA"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I spent almost 2 years at Yelp. It's a rollercoaster. Full of great colleagues, awesome mentors, and a challenging job (but once you get the hang of it you'll pitch-on-the-fly and feel like a boss).

You are responsible for the full sales cycle. From introduction to close. You will have difficult conversations about selling them Yelp ads with SMB prospects. It's challenging, but what you will also have a team, an organization, readily available for you to learn and execute with.

I owe everything I know about my profession to this opportunity I got here.

Thanks Yelp! :)

Cons

It's tough.

This is not meant for someone that isn't ready to live in a role where you will live in failure. The beautiful part of the role is when, you execute... it's extremely gratifying! :)

Advice to Management

More paths available to those that want to challenge their skillsets to in a different capacity. The management path is awesome... Some are better individual contributors, like me! :)

Also compensate better! You're not competitive amongst the other AE roles in the bay area...

"Sales at Yelp"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

good opportunity for advancement, ability to grow professionally, awesome work environment, great co-workers, free food, stock options, awesome goals and values, great boss, great location, good networking opportunities, selling an amazing product (the most targeted and effective form of online advertising), establishing relationships, the senior management are all very smart and on top of their game, we have some really smart people at the helm and I'm confident that they will leads us to success. All in all I'd have to say this is the best possible inside sales job that exists. Yelp is a sweet company.

Cons

-long hours
    -very tough goals
    -compensation

Advice to Management

A little more transparency would be nice...

3. "You would be extremely fortunate to work for Yelp."

Current Employee - Lead Generation - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Generation - Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Every morning I wake up feeling like I won the lottery to be working at this company - how did I come to this realization you might ask? When I found myself (on a Saturday night) at a bar with one of my coworkers, I realized that all we were talking about was work - What is new with you? What are you working on this month? Can you believe all of the changes that are going on right now? I stepped off to go to the bathroom, and I thought to myself, "wow...in this economy, how many people can actually say that they are excited with their career and they are excited about where their company is headed?" The fact is this: very few people are as lucky as I am.

I can honestly say that I have learned something new every day that I have been here. Not only am I learning how to succeed in Sales, but I am learning how to be a better employee and coworker every day. When I look back at where I was before I started with this company, I realize that I won the lottery when I received my offer to work at Yelp.

Cons

Like many sales jobs out there, you are the strongest influencer in your success. You can wake up and decide that you are going to make more money this month than you ever have months before. That being said, it is very easy for your work life to take over your personal life. You find yourself wanting to be at work longer, because you want to make or receive that one phone call that will bring you to your goal, and ultimately affect your paycheck.

One other thing - the people that work there are awesome. If you cannot discipline yourself to work your ass off, then you will not do well here because you will be utterly preoccupied with your coworkers (which ultimately end up being your best friends).

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing. You are transparent with what goals need to be reached in order to be successful. Also, you have all done a wonderful job keeping morale high when the rest of the economy finds itself to be in such a negative place - Thank you.

5. "Great work environment with room for growth!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Fun atmosphere!
    Great office environment, really fun employees and leaders, happy workplace!
    Great sales experience
    60+ days of training
    Lots of room for upward mobility within sales and beyond.

Cons

Compensation as AE is low - have to prove success in the role to start making money. Great job for people who are motivated b/c you can move up within the Sales program quickly!

Advice to Management

No advice to management! Great environment given the stress of the job at times. Continue to expand the sales org ! The new changes have been great, keep them coming!

"Pretty Awesome; Minor Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Amazing environment reflective of internet company culture - game room, fun floor, sofa rooms, vibrant decor
    Firm and consistent expectation of individual contribution, coupled with growing methods of recognition
    Great personalities - I like who I work with
    Open lines of communication between management and employees; continuous leadership/professional development training for management and select non-management employees
    Stellar benefits, including gym subsidy and paid sick time
    Freedom to take on additional responsibilities/opportunities as desired or requested; very Darwinian, go-get-it attitude

Cons

Food/snack selection, creativity, and deliciousness is quickly diminishing - it's the same stuff every week & it's not exactly the Ritz...
    Big decisions are made without context, or with little explanation - growth/direction is feeling secretive to the 'average' employee
    No formal evaluations or structured methods of peer recognition - it's all ad-hoc
    Disparity between departments (sales, engineering, ops, etc)
    Quick growth = less personalized experience

Advice to Management

It feels like the uniqueness of working at yelp is being silenced by quick growth and this "we're in our groove so keep on trucking" mood
    CEO visibility gets lower and lower every month

"Helping other businesses grow is very rewarding, them not understanding that, however, is very taxing."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Helping local businesses get more business.
    Immensely sharpens your sales skills.
    Attractive compensation plan.
    Very fun and positive environment.
    Great perks and benefits.
    Very fulfilling work.

Cons

Not for those that can't handle cold calling.
    Some customers are extremely rude.
    Some customers are extremely in appropriate.
    Very hard work.

Advice to Management

Greater understanding on the learning curve of the software used.
    More offsite resources for advancement and improvement.
    More feedback from different managers.

"Continually impressed with my colleagues and the company vision. Proud to be here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

I'm part of Yelp because I believe in the company mission and our values. I'm continually impressed with our leaders and their innovative vision for the online local search space.

Cons

Comparatively speaking, our base salary is slightly lower than other companies. Benefits, culture, and career opportunities are competitive and attractive incentives to stay.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you do best - find better ways to grow the Yelp communities and connect people with great local businesses.

"Great Company and Great People but hard to move into other departments."

Current Employee - Associate Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Fully Stocked Kitchen
    Fully paid benefits through Blue Cross/Blue Shield
    Fun Environment
    Young Staff
    MAC computers
    Transparency
    Great incentives/outings
    Great Training
    Gym membership Reimbursement

Cons

Pay isn't great, even for living in AZ
    Salespeople aren't on a leveled playing field
    Promotions and productivity are based on revenue brought in rather than tenure and actual hard work and competence.
    The rich stay rich and the poor stay poor- Closers get the best territories but this is all determined by a randomized territory you get in training which will either make or break your career here.
    Stressful- you live by numbers everyday and it's never going to be enough

Advice to Management

Remember that you were once an Account Exec, and that closing deals isn't always as easy as the mathematical equations you place on a board that says if I make more calls, I set more appts, which leads to more pitches, and ultimately more deals. This is how we wished things worked every time, but every day and every call is different, so stop hammering hardworking employees about parts of the sales cycle that they cannot fully control.

"The best place to work!"

Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fun, young work environment
    -Music, fully-stocked fridges with Odwalla, Cereals, Snacks, Lunch, and more
    -iPad powered kegs in the office
    -Merit-based, a lot of room for growth within the company
    -High pay if you're good at sales (some of the top reps make about $150-200K/year)
    -Flexible hours

Cons

-If sales isn't for you, then look elsewhere!

"Great place to grow your career, great business, work hard play hard"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Culture: upbeat, smart, quirky, fun and hard working
    + People: very intelligent fun people, challenging, interesting and great workforce in general
    + High bar for performance: very fulfilling when you perform, but tough when you don't
    + Transparency: the company actually shares a lot about what's happening, and if you take it upon yourself build good relationships with your manager you'll learn a ton
    + Great business: Yelp continues to grow on all fronts, exciting to be a part of
    + Awesome career opportunities if you're top notch at your job. Lots of growth potential.
    + I have a lot of respect for the senior level management - Geoff, Jeremy especially

Cons

+ You have to work your tail off to do well, not a place you can glide by or phone it in. Not for the lazy
    + Depending on where you work, can feel a bit rah rah fratty sometimes
    + Rumor mill: a lot of people get into the frenzy of rumors about everything. Ignore it if you want to be successful.
    + Yes you will see Account Executives come and go, but not everyone can do sales, its not a job for the feint of heart, and when you hire as many sales people as Yelp does you're going to see a few duds. My advise: if you want sales just focus on your goals and leverage your resources and you'll do well.

Advice to Management

+ Continue to provide they type of transparency you do today
    + Treat all your employees like young professionals in all offices and departments

Showing 1,000 of 1,050 reviews