Yelp Reviews | Glassdoor

1,309 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,309 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • fully stocked kitchen/snack bar (in 78 reviews)

• Work Life Balance is great with no work outside of the regular 830-530 (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • at the end of the day you are just cold calling business owners (in 108 reviews)

• Work life balance is a bit off for those that are dedicated producers (in 33 reviews)

"Good entry level sales job"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Training. Great benefit and free office perks (free food, snacks and drinks).

Cons

Your success depend on your abilities, but also on the territory that is handed to you. It does not matter how good you are, you cannot be calling Mississippi and beat the person who is calling Brooklyn or San Francisco. It is a 100% cold calling job. frat boy environment (possibly 90% of 1000 plus office are under 25 years old) .

Advice to Management

Target need to match the territory. Assuming that all territories are equal is delusional. I've seen talented people getting fired not because of lack of skills and drive ,but due to getting stuck with a bad territory.

2. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great sales program, this job will make you tenacious and you will become very assertive.

Cons

Cold calling all day and micro management.

Advice to Management

N/A

3. "Yelp is cool if you're into sales"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture. The environment. The people. The benefits. The free food. The freedom to wear what you want. (Best part!)

Cons

It's literally the same thing everyday. You can avoid it. No one tell you this but you have a territory which seems even smaller after you have to contact the same people over and over and over agin within two-three months. Unavoidable and not my thing. If you can do sales you've got this. If not stay in your lane! Not worth the stress.

Advice to Management

It's working for someone. Keep doing what you're doing. Please stop cussing so much. F bombs 50+ times per day. Enough is enough. I'm sure basically everyone is college educated. Please speak like it.

4. "Fun environment but is always changing."

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of management is awesome and approachable. Free food, paid benefits, seemingly laid back environment. Play music on the floor and work with some really great people.

Cons

Company experiencing growing pains, policies consistently changing, training is not consistent. It is easy to get lost in the shuffle. Some managers tend to play favorites,

Advice to Management

Be more consistent in policies. Use better judgement with how to handle employees.

5. "Love it"

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

great support system, management and colleagues
    awesome company culture
    work hard and you get rewarded

Cons

lower base compared to other similar positions with other companies

6. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work hard, play hard
    great team
    awesome atmosphere

Cons

it is not a place for lazy people

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yelp (More than a year)

Pros

La Croix, coffee, and endless Red Bull. The environment - the perks, benefits! Great friends, some pretty cool phone conversations

Cons

Cold-calling is painful, territory, the demand of maintaining KPI's, micro-management, very young/immature managers, expectations are too high

Advice to Management

Commission structure is rough. Fresh produce would be ideal in the kitchen, we're all just getting fat and overeating and crying in the bathroom. Personal growth is always going to be more important than team growth, focus on 1:1 conversations more

8. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Benefits and Coworkers are the only thing that keeps you coming back.

Cons

No advancement opportunities unless you are invited to interview. That’s right jobs are not posted so all candidates can not have equal opportunities. If you are a minority you will notice very quickly there are no minorities in leadership roles, even though top performers happen to be minorities. Bottom line if you are looking for growth don’t work hard just wait to be tapped on the shoulder.

9. "They're trying too hard"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a Yelper makes the job fun. I can inspire my team because I live and breath the product as a consumer. We also have the help of a really smart operations team to help us make decisions on where to spend our resources. It's grown up over the past 2 years I've been there.

Cons

It's too big and I don't feel like I have a say in how we do things. I'm one of 400 local sales managers and if I want to try something new or provide feedback up the chain, it's a no. Actually, I never know why it's a no. Kinda frustrating. New head guy doesn't tell us much and manages from his computer. I think he just takes orders from the other head guy in NY.

Advice to Management

Don't claim you're in tune with the business because you can forward a couple of HBR articles around. Lead by doing, not by plagiarizing.

10. "Hiring 90 people a month.... because the turnover is 90%+, TOXIC PLACE"

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

they try to sell you on the free lunches and coffee, not worth it. This entire company has a bad reputation... I've talked to many other Silicon Valley tech companies who say Yelp is a joke. And they are right :)

Cons

I should have read these reviews before taking this job.... they negative ones are beyond true.

I did not need a college degree to sit on a phone from 8-5 calling businesses that are clearly already fed up with Yelp. Most of the accounts you are given have already been called on in the past multiple times.

You have no time to search elsewhere for employment because you are so tired and depressed at the end of the day and they give you no time off during the first few months.

Each day at lunch everyone just talked about how much they hated it and how they wanted to get out.

I do not recommend this place to anyone who has any dignity to know that they are worth more than.

Advice to Management

You only promote top reps into management positions, if you actually knew how successful sales orgs ran you would know that not all top reps are top managers... Having a manager who was extremely successful is not helpful to the majority who struggle and find this job unbearable, they want someone relatable who has been through it and struggled too.

Showing 1,309 of 1,371 reviews