Cover image for Yelp

3.5
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
2,023 Ratings

What people are saying about Yelp

Join the conversation on

Tech

1y

works at

Yelp

At Yelp we have “quarterlies” where we align with our manager on our growth over the quarter and if there is a “misalignment” in where we think I am then we chat about it to try and come to a mutual understanding. In my last two quarterlies I’ve felt like we’ve misaligned in multiple areas and I spent a ton of time explaining things that my manager didn’t know I did. So my question is… have you experienced something similar and what did you do to fix it. How can I gain visibility?

5 Comments

Tech

469.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Yelp~43314
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and perfect for highly motivated outbound sellers or people who respond to high energy management.(in 398 reviews)
  • "the people there are great and it looks good to have Yelp on your resume.(in 396 reviews)
  • "Something that is so great about working here is the culture and investment the managers actually have in your life.(in 280 reviews)
  • "Free food and snacks which is important if you are on a fixed income at the beginning.(in 198 reviews)
  • "Always learning and great training(in 176 reviews)
Cons
  • "Managers and Directors for the life of theirs do not admit there are better territories to call 2 than others.(in 245 reviews)
  • "Poor management and tough clients(in 217 reviews)
  • "Low pay and not enough resources(in 210 reviews)
  • "I don't understand how they expect people to survive off such a low salary.(in 109 reviews)
  • "Also you don't make commission unless you're really really good and can hit their commission 'threshold' they have every calendar month.(in 80 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Yelp and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Sales

Dec 6, 2022 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment, very welcoming

Cons

None that I can think of

Yelp Response

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so glad to hear that you're having a five-star experience here at Yelp. We are so lucky to have you on our team. Keep up the great work!

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good Benefits

Dec 5, 2022 - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Young employees and good company culture

Cons

Extremely toxic environment. Micromanaged at all times. Inexperienced management.

Yelp Response

Thank you for your five-star feedback. It's great to hear that you enjoyed being a part of our diverse and inclusive culture during your time on our team. However, we are concerned about your feedback when it comes to management. Here at Yelp, our management style takes on a hands-on approach, when can sometimes be perceived as micromanagement. However, our goal with this style is to provide ample support to our teams as they are learning new skills and to ensure that they are on a path to growth and success in their role. That being said, we pride ourselves on promoting from within, and as a result we give some leaders the opportunity to do so for the first time in their career. Folks interested in leadership must go through two different programs before being selected to become people leaders. The Manager Development Program (MDP) is a classroom-based curriculum designed to teach the fundamentals of the manager role. Candidates who successfully pass MDP then need to earn a spot in our Coaching Development Program (CDP). This is a 3-month, on-the-job training. After candidates show they can coach and operate according to our standards, they can apply to be a manager. We strive to create a consistent and positive leadership experience across the board. We appreciate your help with those efforts!

3. Join the Yelp team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good job, for some.

Dec 6, 2022 - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and great benefits. Everyone is very helpful and friendly.

Cons

You have to deal with angry customers every day. Getting customer calls that include cursing, screaming, crying and even threats could be a frequent thing sometimes. Due to the companies policies as a rep your not always able to give customers the solutions they want. Which can lead to more anger and negative reactions/ emotions thrown on you. Would only recommend to thick skinned people that have a lot of patience and know how to deal with very escalated calls.

Yelp Response

We appreciate your feedback and are so glad to hear that you had an overall great experience on our team. It's helpful to know that you found our compensation and benefits package to be of value, we will be sure to keep up the great work on that front! Customer success can be a challenging role at times, both at Yelp and at any other company. However, where we differ is in our ongoing coaching, training, and development opportunities. We work hard to ensure that all of our folks feel supported and proud of the work that they are doing everyday. We'll be sure to pass up your feedback to our leadership team so we can keep making our Customer Success department an even better place to work for all.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Okay place

Dec 6, 2022 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great community and provided a stepping stone to learn about Salesforce

Cons

Career depended on manager helpfulness at beginning

Yelp Response

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed being a part of our diverse and inclusive culture, and that you found Yelp to help you build a strong foundation for your success in sales. The managers at Yelp are devoted to the career growth of each individual here. Sometimes that can look like various one-on-one conversations throughout the day, and setting sales quotas that encourage people to continually improve. Thank you again for your feedback, and we wish you the very best in your next role!

6. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

It was good

Dec 5, 2022 - Founder in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people, the adventure, the wine

Cons

Long hours, lots of travel

7. 4.0
    Former Employee

Good Benefits

Dec 2, 2022 - Sales Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Benefits, Great Pay and Commission

Cons

Must work hard to hit quotas.

Yelp Response

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. We are so glad to hear that you had an overall great experience on our team, especially that you found our perks, such as 401(k) matching, mental health and wellness services, and employer-paid insurance, to name a few, to be of value! While we understand it can be challenging to be held accountable to specific metrics on a daily basis, we know that this is the best way one can be successful in sales. We encourage all of our folks to have open and transparent conversations with their managers about the "why" behind the things they're asked to complete. Thanks again for your feedback, and we wish you the very best in your next role!

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not horrible

Nov 30, 2022 - Account Executive in Tampa, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits. Work from home. PTO.

Cons

Cold calling businesses that Yelp has called many, many times.

Yelp Response

Thanks for your feedback! It's so great to hear that you found our perks, like stock incentives, cash bonuses, 401k matching, and employer-paid insurance to name a few, to be of value. Our compensation package is based on what our employees value most - total rewards. That being said, we know that cold-calling is a tough task, both at Yelp and at any other company. Where we're different is in our training and curriculum, as well as the ongoing coaching and development that managers provide to their teams. Most folks find that when they stick to what they learn during their training, they can successfully connect with business owners to share the value and power of Yelp Advertising. Thanks again for your feedback. We wish you the very best in your next role!

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Account executive

Nov 28, 2022 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

remote, great benefits, good bonus structure

Cons

Cold calling, a lot of hang-ups. Ready to make 80-100 calls per day

Yelp Response

Thank you so much for your feedback! It's so great to hear that you're having an overall great experience on our team. Cold calling is a challenging task not just at Yelp, but at any company. Where we're different is in our training and curriculum, as well as the ongoing coaching and development that managers provide to their teams. Most folks find that when they stick to what they learn during their training, they can successfully connect with business owners to share the value and power of Yelp Advertising. If you have any questions or concerns, we encourage you to lean on your manager. They are here to help you succeed! Thank you for all of your hard work everyday. We're so lucky to have you on our team.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

One very large family...

Nov 24, 2022 - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Yelp is a big company where you never feel lost. The training is top-notch, the management is always ready, willing, and able, and your peers will toss you a line if you ever need a hand.

Cons

They couldn't sidestep the pandemic...lol. Other than that, no issues. Period!

Yelp Response

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so glad to hear that you had a five-star experience on our team. An exciting career should always have a good balance of challenges and rewards, and it sounds like you found exactly that at Yelp. While challenges can be expected in any sales role, Account Executives can always count on a supportive team and manager that are always there to help and cheer you on. We're thankful for your time and contributions to Yelp, and wish you the best of luck in your next role.

11. 5.0
    Former Employee

Very nice people

Nov 19, 2022 - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very nice people! Very supportive

Cons

Low pay is the only con

Yelp Response

Thank you for your feedback! We are so glad to hear that you're having a 5-star experience on our team. The people here at Yelp are so awesome, and they truly make it a great place to work. We focus on rewarding every person with a competitive compensation package centered on much more than just a paycheck. This package includes things like stock incentives, cash bonuses, 401(k) matching, wellness reimbursements, work from home reimbursements, mental health and wellness services, and employer-paid insurance, to name a few. We're living in a time where change is happening rapidly, and our team is continually working to make sure we're offering up a competitive compensation package in all of our markets that's based on what employees value most - total rewards. Thanks again for your feedback! We wish you the very best in your next role.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 4,280 Reviews
</>Embed

Yelp Reviews FAQs

Yelp has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 4,458 reviews left anonymously by employees. 63% of employees would recommend working at Yelp to a friend and 56% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Yelp employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Yelp. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

63% of Yelp employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Yelp 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Yelp to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be compensation, management.

Popular Careers with Yelp Job Seekers