Yelp Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Great sales training, fully stocked kitchen, plenty of red bull to keep you caffeinated (in 70 reviews)

• Work Life Balance is great with no work outside of the regular 830-530 (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Calling small business owners and trying to impress upon them the importance of Yelp (whether it being their free account or paying for advertisement) (in 91 reviews)

• Work/life balance is essentially non-existent unless employee is very good at saying no (in 29 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales MBA"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I spent almost 2 years at Yelp. It's a rollercoaster. Full of great colleagues, awesome mentors, and a challenging job (but once you get the hang of it you'll pitch-on-the-fly and feel like a boss).

You are responsible for the full sales cycle. From introduction to close. You will have difficult conversations about selling them Yelp ads with SMB prospects. It's challenging, but what you will also have a team, an organization, readily available for you to learn and execute with.

I owe everything I know about my profession to this opportunity I got here.

Thanks Yelp! :)

Cons

It's tough.

This is not meant for someone that isn't ready to live in a role where you will live in failure. The beautiful part of the role is when, you execute... it's extremely gratifying! :)

Advice to Management

More paths available to those that want to challenge their skillsets to in a different capacity. The management path is awesome... Some are better individual contributors, like me! :)

Also compensate better! You're not competitive amongst the other AE roles in the bay area...

2. "Local Client Partner"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy, responsibility, great leader ship, amazing coworkers. Truly feel like a family here. Full benefits, wellness allowance, great maternity and paternity benefits.

Cons

There are always cons to every job.

"Tenacious People Always Win"

Current Employee - Strategy and Operations Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Strategy and Operations Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mentorship and career development with lots of room to grow. It's a win-win.

Cons

The engineers get served lunch on Fridays. Whatever happened to the rest of the team that makes Yelp a great place to work with? I'm pretty sure we work as hard as they do.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging the best talents and always help them to grow.

"Yelp: great people, poor tech culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great company culture in terms of working relationships
    - healthy internal communication
    - highly skilled engineering team

Cons

- massive amounts of technical debt
    - weak business model, high customer churn
    - can't keep senior talent (which exacerbates the technical debt issue)
    - passionless
    - unstable stock

Advice to Management

In Silicon Valley, you either keep reaching for the stars, or you tread water long enough for your competitors knock you out of the market. Yelp needs passion. Google and Facebook will continue their efforts to steal your lunch.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you search hard you can find great people and develop a think skin.

Cons

Very poorly paid. While the job is very hard on the day to day, Yelp barely pays you enough to live. Employees are pitted against each other for high sales. While commission is in place, frequent chargebacks because of your territory and the product not working are common, causing the AE to have to pay Yelp back out of their commission. There is high turnover because they treat employees like high school children and monitor your every move. Rather than helping local businesses they encourage you to harass them and are mad when those tactics don't work. Yelp needs to work on encouraging reps to teach businesses owners and work off of quarterly quotas to decrease pressure on reps and local businesses.

"I wouldn't say I regret it but I can't wait to leave"

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid benefits - other reviews detail this pretty thoroughly. Health care is the best of them.

Snacks - varied but mediocre.

Specific to this position:

Flexible schedule (pretty normal hours still, I'd say people come in between 7-11 for the most part)

WFH when needed (no firm policy, it's pretty lenient)

Higher than average concentration of like minded 20-30 somethings

Cons

The company is pretty enormous, and I don't feel connected to the mission. It's hard to do a good job if there's no reason to care. This is definitely not the kind of job you can do for long without getting incredibly restless. It's an unfulfilling way to earn your paycheck.

Every time someone flags a review complaining about racism because a reviewer said they felt victimized BY racism I just... ALGKJSDLKFJS I can't with these idiots. I just can't. I see so much mind numbingly stupid things I think this job made me dumber. It definitely made me hate people more than I ever thought possible.

In addition to the job itself being just the freaking worst, the department culture in User Ops leaves much to be desired. That could make all the difference.

With some exceptions, the overall vibe is cold and distant. When I started, no one was welcoming to my hiring class and I didn't mesh all that well with the people I was hired alongside. I don't know that I ever fully recovered from that impression even though I've got a good work social group going for me now. I'm bitter. Obviously.

The events we do are mostly terrible. To their credit they try and care so that's nice I suppose. But. I generally I do all I can to avoid them unless they involve alcohol or free food. and by free food I mean I don't have to participate in some group activity or challenge to get it. You'd probably dig it if you're into activities where your time is managed and you're told who to spend it with.

Communication is poor. I can't even tell you how many times I've found out via reactive management that some policy had been changed and that I was doing something incorrectly. It's frustrating when you try to do good work but the rules keep changing and you just can't win. I do hope things improve here. I actually have some faith on this one improving. For all my gripes organization seems to have improved greatly under new management.

Upward mobility is limited. They set this expectation from the point of hire. But they could do so many things to change this. It's frustrating that they don't seem to have any interest in retaining talented, hard working employees.

There is no incentive to work harder. If you're a hard worker you just keep having more and more work piled on you and for what? for nothing.

The pay is very low, you're starting at 40k. It's barely a living wage in SF. If this is your first "real" job then ok but you can and should try to do better. There's nothing cool about Yelp that makes it worth that - but they seem to have this inflated ideal of themselves that it does.

I like the person I report directly to, and they have limited power. I can sense the frustration in our team leads. I can't say I'm fond of the way that upper management runs things. It all feels very secretive. No one seems accessible. I feel generally unsupported as an employee.

We're treated like we're dispenable. I think the high turnover is somewhat of a self fulfilling prophecy. Yeah by nature the job gets crushing and pays poorly so people aren't gonna stay long. But they could do more to keep up engagement and offer more financial/ flexibility incentives and ways to move up. It'd be nice to feel as though I was working toward something.

In short - it's a dead end job and after ~2 years it is really bumming me out because I have to read a bunch of block paragraphs written by angry, barely literate racists all day, pretentious elite garbage or just plain unfair idiocy. It sucks. Find something better to do with your time.

Advice to Management

The flexibility is appreciated. It's the only thing you do have that is retaining a lot of good employees, so be sure not to take stuff like flex hours and WFH away.

Consider more incentives you could offer to veteran and/or high performing employees. How about working remote regularly without needing an excuse. One day a week would be nice. Not all of us are comfortable with the vague policy surrounding it. Some take advantage/ have more needs. It'd be nice for those of us who don't NEED to that often to just be able to more simply because we've put in the tenure or effort and earned the privilege.

Does every single team event need to involve being assigned to groups in some capacity, and completing a challenge or some activity? It'd be nice to just get to casually spend time with my peers talking and getting to know one another. A lot of us really loathe the high energy activities. It's fine to have some stuff that appeals to the extroverts too but what ever happened to keeping things simple with a happy hour on the 8th floor and getting some food catered in?

"Don't, unless you enjoy being underpaid."

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Accessible to public transit in case you need to make a run for it.
    - Free snacks/coffee (though the variety is not great).
    - Beer readily available for when you eventually develop a drinking problem out of sheer frustration.
    - Work from home if needed.
    - Health insurance.
    - You'll meet great people once you able to set them apart from company yes-men. There are people who are genuine and believe in "Yelp's mission" and really do believe in Yelp's product and think that we're doing good work. Those people are rare.
    - If you hit a productive stride, the work is incredibly easy.

Cons

Ugh. If you've seen a job posting in this department, don't do it. Don't do it unless you're right of college and haven't been broken yet. If you have any respect for yourself and know you're worth more than 40k a year, don't do it unless you really want this stopover job. Seriously, the pay is insultingly low (you'll start wondering why you even bothered going to college) and that becomes more and more clear with every paycheck you get.

Though I don't work in the sales org, I echo many of their sentiments. Unless you're an engineer at Yelp, you're treated like a flavorless commodity. Yelp seems to be concerned with hiring more people for the sake of it, instead of incentivizing its current employees with higher pay (seriously, stop using our stock options as justification to pay us barely above minimum wage), interesting projects, or leadership opportunities.

It's almost impossible to get a promotion. Favoritism can be perceived to be an issue in the User Ops department if you're cynical enough. User Ops, as a department, appears to value blind rule-following over critical thinking -- but that sounds a lot like most of Yelp. There's relatively high turnover, but they expect that. Yelp seems almost proud of it, taking on waves and waves of new employees around the same time of the year, idiotically grinning over their "growth."

If you really want a promotion at Yelp, please know it'll take at least 5-6 years for it to happen organically. Title bumps are arbitrarily given after 2 years, it seems, and tenure seems to be valued over competency. Those in team lead/junior management positions have been with the company for a long time, and none of them seem to be going anywhere soon. Be prepared to be hanging out in your lowly position on an ever-growing team, and be prepared to get lost in it. You'll maybe get assigned to work on other projects and cross-train to other teams within User Ops, but don't get your hopes up and think this means good things for your future within the company. It means nothing. It just means they can start to overwork you and make sure they're getting every last pitiful penny that this company thinks you're worth.

It can be really easy to think that Yelp isn't a good place to develop your ideas. They aren't a startup anymore, no matter how hard they act like they are. They're cooked. They're a big company, constantly in stages of acquisition. The times for development and experimentation are over -- now it's time to follow repetitively follow procedure, and the expectation of the amount of work you're held to does not match what you're paid. So, if you're bright eyed and have a bunch of ideas, be prepared to either have those be steamrolled or ignored completely.

Communication between management and you in User Ops is severely flawed. Be prepared for policy changes without adequate updates or explanation. If you raise objection, it won't go anywhere. If you become frustrated with this, there's no real outlet for you -- not even your 1:1 meetings with your immediate supervisor.

Advice to Management

Compensate better! There's countless complaints from the sales org, but user ops people aren't competitively paid, either. At least not for any metropolitan area.

Provide other cool freebies (like catered lunches) to people besides engineers. You think the rest of the building enjoys scavenging their cold leftovers?

Read these reviews. A lot of people feel this way. Do something about the complaints instead of sending out engagement surveys that seem to achieve nothing.

"Grinding work, low compensation, but fun people"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The camaraderie you have with your coworkers is what keeps you at the company. It's a very fun atmosphere with good benefits (401k match, commuter subsidy, snacks and lunch meats).

The local sales org does strive for alignment, hosting all hands frequently. The training program is also very extensive and well executed. Work-life balance is great, you don't have to stay past 5 and there are many company-hosted events.

Cons

Very low base salary and poor allocation of sales territories which negatively impact a rep's success. You definitely feel like a number in local sales - high turnover is an issue. And then there's the fact that many business owners are vehemently anti-Yelp, so your daily conversations get to be a grind. There is limited opportunity to switch out of local sales so you feel stuck, especially if you're struggling to hit quota.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open in regards to company strategy, try to foster less of a call-center vibe with the local sales people. Pay more so people feel valued, and don't only provide catered lunch for engineers.

10. "Productive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp (More than a year)

Pros

Free Lunches, Work at home, Fun place.

Cons

Health Care and less benefits

Advice to Management

Its doing great

11. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, great work life balance

Cons

Cold Calling is not fun

Advice to Management

Continue working on avenues to retain talented sales reps

Showing 298 of 1,189 reviews