KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Yelp Employee Reviews about "cold calls"

Updated Nov 23, 2021

3.5
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
2,011 Ratings

What people are saying about Yelp

Join the conversation on

Tech

1y

works at

Yelp

At Yelp we have “quarterlies” where we align with our manager on our growth over the quarter and if there is a “misalignment” in where we think I am then we chat about it to try and come to a mutual understanding. In my last two quarterlies I’ve felt like we’ve misaligned in multiple areas and I spent a ton of time explaining things that my manager didn’t know I did. So my question is… have you experienced something similar and what did you do to fix it. How can I gain visibility?

5 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "the people there are great and it looks good to have Yelp on your resume.(in 371 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and perfect for highly motivated outbound sellers or people who respond to high energy management.(in 366 reviews)
  • "Something that is so great about working here is the culture and investment the managers actually have in your life.(in 271 reviews)
  • "Free food and snacks which is important if you are on a fixed income at the beginning.(in 196 reviews)
  • "Always learning and great training(in 164 reviews)
Cons
  • "Managers and Directors for the life of theirs do not admit there are better territories to call 2 than others.(in 236 reviews)
  • "Micro management, your boss is like a buddy and that can be complicated at times, it gets ridiculously monotonous and the pay sucks.(in 218 reviews)
  • "Low pay and not enough resources(in 196 reviews)
  • "I don't understand how they expect people to survive off such a low salary.(in 108 reviews)
  • "Also you don't make commission unless you're really really good and can hit their commission 'threshold' they have every calendar month.(in 76 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Yelp and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "cold calls"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Lots of opportunity if you work hard

Jan 11, 2021 - Senior Elite Local Client Director in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

uncapped commission with lots of opportunity

Cons

cold calls and can be micromanaged, stressful

2. 2.0
    Current Employee

Solid start to a SaaS sales career

Nov 23, 2021 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent and helpful colleagues Solid company culture

Cons

Low base pay 60-80 cold calls per day

1 person found this review helpful

Yelp Response

Thank you for letting us know how things are going. Yelp is a great place to start a career and grow within, and it sounds like you've been feeling supported in reaching your goals! We'll be sure to keep up the hard work on that front. We appreciate your input around compensation and the nature of the Account Executive role. Cold calling is a challenging task not just at Yelp, but in any company. We support folks through the natural challenges of the role by providing exceptional sales training and ongoing coaching and development to each individual on the team. While sales can be a fast-paced environment with many challenges, our Account Executives are at the core of our success and of many business owners that trust Yelp to help their businesses grow. We encourage you to keep leaning on your manager about some of the concerns you may be having so we can continue to support you best. We're glad you're on the team, keep up the good work!

3. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

a

Sep 21, 2021 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can work from home

Cons

There are a lot of cold calls

4. 3.0
    Former Employee

Great atmosphere

Jul 27, 2021 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere at NYC office Good managers that are very helpful

Cons

100 cold calls a day was a bit much for me

Yelp Response

Thank you for letting us know how your time at Yelp went! Sounds like you enjoyed working in an office with great perks like fully-stocked kitchens, and that you valued the working relationship with your manager. A career in sales can be challenging, yet rewarding. We understand this career track may not be for everyone, and we appreciate your contributions to the team. Best of luck in your next role!

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Yelp!!! Get me out of here

Jun 18, 2021 - Account Representative in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

great benefits, most co workers are great to work with

Cons

very very cliquey like high school. terrible hard selling cold calls. dont listen to clients, bully both clients and ar

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 3.0

Salary

May 17, 2021 - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

great team working environment + free snacks

Cons

Boiler room environment - high volume of cold calls

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Please do not work here for the sake of your well-being and mental health.

May 14, 2021 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

- You meet many people your agent if you just graduated college - You will grow thick skin over time (maybe) - Increase confidence skills

Cons

- Management is the definition of toxic positivity. - You make 80 cold calls a day to small business owners who get called every 2 weeks by Yelp account executives. - When the business owners say they're not interested, you need to argue and keep them on the phone 5 times before you are allowed to hang up. (Yes, this does make them very angry and yell at you). - Territories are completely unfair and they are the #1 factor to determine how much revenue you will produce. Although management will embarrass you and say you're not pushing hard enough on the phone. - You will feel extremely guilty signing up naive small town business owners for a product that only works in cities for certain industries. - If the person you call says they are driving you are expected to tell them to PULL OVER to open up Yelp on their phone and speak to you. (I wish this was a joke!) - It was the worst period of my life. Please don't let the flashy "Yelp" name lure you if you're a college student unless being pushy and unethical sales tactics don't bother you.

2 people found this review helpful

Yelp Response

We appreciate your feedback on your experience. It's great that Yelp was a great place to start your career in sales and that gained plenty of confidence skills! We know that the AE role is one of the tougher roles at Yelp, as you’re calling on many busy business owners. Cold calling is not an easy role at any company, and we work hard to make sure employees have the support and ongoing coaching they need to succeed in their roles. While Account Executives learn many sales tactics, unethical practices are not ever tolerated at Yelp. We will be sure to share your feedback with our leadership team so we we can make sure Yelp continues to be a place where everyone feels good about their work.

8. 4.0
    Former Intern

Great experience, if interested in sales

Apr 2, 2021 - Sales Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment to learn and grow

Cons

Tons of cold calls and repetitive

9. 3.0

Yelp AE

Mar 1, 2021 - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Building customer relationships for businesses

Cons

Heavy outbound cold calls and sales

10. 4.0
    Former Employee

Good place to start

Jan 29, 2021 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to gain Sales experience

Cons

High volume cold calls are a must

Viewing 1 - 10 of 71 Reviews