Yelp Employee Reviews about "cold calls"

Updated Jan 14, 2021

Found 80 of over 3K reviews

3.4
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,702 Ratings
Pros
  • "Fun culture, free food, good money(in 277 reviews)

• "Amazing culture and great people(in 199 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Uphill battle having to constantly convince business owners that Yelp is not this corrupt monster of a company(in 248 reviews)

• "All cold calls, lots of burnout(in 80 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Yelp and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "cold calls"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Lots of opportunity if you work hard

Jan 11, 2021 - Senior Elite Local Client Director in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

uncapped commission with lots of opportunity

Cons

cold calls and can be micromanaged, stressful

2. 4.0

Good with the Bad

Jan 14, 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, opportunity to make money

Cons

All cold calls, lots of burnout

3. 5.0
      Former Employee

Yelp is what you make it

Nov 24, 2020 - Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's a good place to see what you really want to do, gives you a backbone in life

Cons

Cold calls, talking to business owners who have never used a phone

4. 2.0
      Former Employee

Not my favorite place to work

Dec 28, 2020 - Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity for growth and advancement

Cons

80+ cold calls in a single day

Yelp Response

Thank you for letting us know how things went during your time at Yelp. We're glad that you found plenty of opportunities for growth and advancement! While a career in sales can be challenging, it can also be very rewarding. We strive to create an environment that's not only exciting, but also inspiring. We understand that sales may not be for everyone, and we hope that you've found a role that is in line with your expectations. Thank you for your contributions and time at Yelp!

5. 5.0

No Regrets, Just Love

Jul 21, 2019 - Elite Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

-meet some of your best friends here -build a back bone (lots of rejections from both business owners and managers/directors) -fun environment -good managers sometimes, luckily i had the best managers while there for the most part but some managers aren't that great so luck of the draw -barista, fully stocked kitchen, stocks (i don't know if they still offer), 401k, health, gym reimbursement,

Cons

-80+ cold calls a day -territories do matter so pray you get a good one -if you don't drink the kool aid you will be negative and not make it, so drink it in the beginning -you don't need to stay here longer than a year, get your 6-12 month experience and go somewhere else before you lose sight of the real world and think this is it -college vibes if you are not into happy hours, the gem saloon, and office drama then this is not the place for you -retention (if your accounts don't keep paying then it is deducted from your commission) -figure out your path early on or else you will be endlessly dialing until indeed, yext, or some other sales place taps your shoulder and offers you the same job for 5-10k more -strict with time - you can't really just leave whenever to get a coffee outside.. 8:30-5:30 lunch from 12-1

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

The Account Executive Perspective

May 6, 2019 - Account Executive in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hello. I am an Account Executive for Yelp. Yelp did a fantastic job explaining the job description. They were very transparent regarding the day to day tasks and objectives of the position. Everyone was very nice and supportive! Management cares about their employees and they make you feel important. You also never have to worry about breakfast or lunch with a fully stocked kitchen.

Cons

Working as an Account Executive for Yelp was the worst job I ever had. Here is why this job is so terrible: 1. 80 - 100 Cold calls per day, it sounds easy but its not. 2. The local businesses are tired of Yelp sales calls and they just don't want to talk. 3. You know the business owner that yelled at you two days ago and told you ever to call back? You'll be calling them in another two days. 4. Be prepared to be micromanaged on almost every call, these managers will make you sell their product to anyone that can breath. 5. The work is extremely unfulfilling and at the end of the day those success stories are a small fraction of the business owners using Yelp. 6. Yelps sales tactics are aggressive and pushy so be prepared to burn really good leads with these sales tactics. 7. Everyone is drinking the Yelp Kool-aid and if you speak out you will be seen as negative.

24 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0

1st Full Time Job...I Hated It

Oct 19, 2019 - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great co-workers, 11 kitchens with snacks and drinks, 100% paid benefits, team outings.

Cons

Where do I even begin? During my time here at Yelp, managers religilously shoved a corny sales script down our throats. They were so adamant that the script would be the key to our success. WRONG! The script did me no good when I would get cussed out by angry business owners because I am the 5th person from Yelp to call them. In training, managers will tell you that you cannot get fired for job performance. They told us that they know this job is hard but as long as we're trying and making an effort, you will be ok no matter what. Their exact words were " It's not a matter of IF you become a good salesperson but WHEN." That was a whole lie..I got fired for my performance but I'll get to that later. Managers are really big on metrics. Daily metrics were 75-80 COLD CALLS a day, send 15 emails, have 2.25 hours of talk time, pitch 2 times and close one deal. If you were falling short on any of your metrics, be prepared to have a micro-managing manager down your back. They'll really be on your case if you are not pitching or closing deals. Managers need to understand that sales is like a rollercoaster. You are going to have good and bad days but for some reason, they can't comprehend that logic. The office vibe can be fake at times. Fake success stories , fake smiles, fake energy, just FAKE! Everyone is miserable and burnt out. I've seen people cry in bathrooms because the job got tough. If you do not have thick skin going into this job, you better develop it because you are constantly being tested. As I mentioned earlier, managers said you can't fired for job performance. You are more likely to get fired for breaking one of Yelps CORE values rather than performance. Yelp must've had a bad Q3 because after they told us how company revenue declined, that's when upper management (Directors, Vice President , etc..) started putting employees on performance plans. If you were not hitting quota ($20K/month), then you were on the plan. They give you 2-3 months to course correct, otherwise, you're fired! They use scare tactics to motivate you to do better but it only diminishes your self esteem. You're being pulled into 3-4 one on one meetings throughout the day. How do you expect me to improve if I'm in meetings 24/7. Word of advice, if you like a cult like culture, micro management, and getting cussed out, then be my guest, Yelp is your oyster. I am so glad I got out of there.

8 people found this review helpful

Yelp Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It’s never good to hear that an employee’s experience didn’t stack up to their expectations, and it is certainly never our intent for you to hate where you work. The Account Executive role is a challenging one, and we go to great lengths during our interviews to set expectations about the challenges in the role as well as the daily metrics that AE’s are accountable for. When an employee is struggling to meet these metrics, our managers will take a hands-on approach, and to some this may feel like micro-management. This sometimes includes things like barging calls to assist with closing deals or managers having team check-ins multiple times per day to ensure everyone is on-track to achieve their goals. Of course, this isn’t for everyone, but it is designed to help as many AE's succeed . In regard to the vibe in the office, our culture is the driving force behind the success of our employees and ultimately, the success of business owners that we support on a daily basis. We celebrate even the smallest wins, and sometimes that looks like cheering on your co-workers through the tough calls, or celebrating a closed deal by hitting the gong while your team and office cheers you on. While this environment is exciting and inspiring for most, we understand it's not for everyone. We appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback with us. We take your opinion very seriously and it's what helps us make improvements at Yelp to make this a better environment for all current and future employees. Thank you for your time with us and we wish you the best in your future endeavors!

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Anything Else

Jan 16, 2019 - Elite Account Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great foundation and training program to give you a solid foundation in learning sales - Full benefits (good insurance) - Fun people

Cons

- So many company politics, inadequate managers who are not qualified, drama, etc. - Product doesn't work and sales frequently churn and cancel resulting in employees having to pay back commissions via chargebacks - Unrealistic daily expectations and burnout - "reply all" emails that are redundant sent out multiple times a day, 80 cold calls to the same businesses in increasingly smaller territories - Constant micromanagement - No flexibility to work from home - literally chained to a desk to mass cold call - this is truly a call center - Horrible PTO and sick day allowance - most tech companies give you unlimited PTO and sick days, not here - only 15 days pto per year and 5 sick days (mind you there are 12 months in a year smh) - Getting treated like an idiot - Lack of professionalism, everyone prying into your personal life - Horrible pay - you'll make more as an uber driver than here

13 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0

Account Executive

Jan 8, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Music, free food, open desk atmostphere

Cons

Exhausting job especially with the new model that rolled out to the company last year. You are expected to make 100 cold calls a day and managers pace around watching you at all times - honestly it makes you feel like you work in a sweat shop at times. Managers are joking around all days with fellow friends and distracting to employees, but then they get upset if their reps aren't hitting the phones at all times. For example, one time I went to the bathroom and was gone too long, and when I got back my manager asked me why I had been gone for so long and that I needed to get back on the phones. Besides the above, the main reason we are there is to sell advertising to small business owners. Be aware - because the sales model you are basically bullying business owners in to signing up. I once had a business owner start crying because they didn't have a lot of money and thought they were closing the doors, but my manager on my call was still forcing me to say "just put in your credit card" over and over again so I was unable to empathize with the business owner.

7 people found this review helpful

People Operations at Yelp

We appreciate your constructive feedback. Our goal is to never "bully" business owners into buying advertising on Yelp. Especially in the situation you described, our goal would be to help the business owner turn her luck around by driving more business through her doors through Yelp advertising. Empathy is a wonderful trait to use in sales, and we value the ability for our sales people to connect with their clients while showing them how Yelp could positively impact their business.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Professional Cold Caller

Mar 12, 2020 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

8-5 Great for young college graduates

Cons

100 plus cold calls a day Managers on 2 way silently coaching pitches

Yelp Response

We appreciate your feedback on your experience. We agree that the AE role can be very challenging, which is an expectation we go to great lengths to set during the interview process. We want to make sure that everyone who comes onboard has a solid understanding of the highs and lows a career in sales can bring. We understand that the role may not be for everyone, and we're happy to have had you on our team. Best of luck in the next step of your career!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 80 Reviews