Yelp Employee Reviews about "free food"

Updated Jan 20, 2021

Found 276 of over 3K reviews

3.4
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,702 Ratings
Pros
  • "Fun culture, free food, good money(in 277 reviews)

• "Amazing culture and great people(in 199 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Uphill battle having to constantly convince business owners that Yelp is not this corrupt monster of a company(in 248 reviews)

• "All cold calls, lots of burnout(in 80 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Yelp and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "free food"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Don’t work here

Jan 20, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The coworkers, free food , free coffee

Cons

Everything I ha the it

Yelp Response

Thank you for letting us know how you've been feeling. We strive to make our employees feel valued with unique perks like fully-stocked kitchens and on-site baristas, but understand that there is always room to grow and learn from what our employees have to say. The last thing we want to is to make any one of our teammates feel like they are in an environment in which they can't speak up. If you feel like your concerns are not being heard, please email us at employeefeedback@yelp.com so that we can find a way to support you.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

The job is what you make it.. to an extent

Jan 19, 2021 - Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

-The culture was great(free food in kitchen, benefits, mostly young people, LGBTQ+ friendly, lots of happy hours and team outings) -Opportunities to make money(Compared to other sales job, earning a decent base with the ability to make commission is always nice) -Work life balance(Upper Management respects hard work but doesn't push you to stay late, in fact they encourage people to leave when the work day is done)

Cons

-Cold Calling sales(That's the job.. nothing more, nothing less. No matter how management wants to sugarcoat it, it's a grind) -Territory luck(If your territory is a major urban area where there are simply more yelp users, it will be easier to convince business owners to buy ads. Management will say that no matter where your territory is, you can make 40K in revenue monthly, but that's simply just not true, and they know it too.) -Some nepotism(Managers seem to say who gets what territory is dependent on luck to an extent, but they can choose who gets where. If they simply like/dislike a person, that will dictate who gets what territory. People should be rewarded on a mix of revenue/effort.)

3. 4.0
      Former Employee

Decent entry level

Jan 11, 2021 - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food Taught you to be relentless

Cons

Compared numbers of people selling in rural areas vs dense cities. A lot of management should not be running teams. Need more experience.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good foot in the door, depending on manager

Jan 14, 2021 - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Free food - Energetic office environment - Off-site events and beer on tap every day after work - You are in charge of your own success

Cons

- VERY metrics based... in the eyes of management, even if you are meeting/exceeding your quota, there's always something you could be doing better - Hard sell... you are contacting business owners who have been contacted by Yelp countless times. - Low base pay and no commission during ramp up time - Extremely hard to hit quota, especially in COVID times

Yelp Response

Thank you for your feedback! We're happy to hear that Yelp was a great place to get your foot in the door and launch your career in sales. The managers at Yelp are devoted to the career growth of each individual here. Sometimes that can look like various one-on-one conversations throughout the day, and setting sales quotas that encourage people to continually improve. While this environment is inspiring for most, we understand that it may not be for everyone. Listening to the concerns of our employees is a crucial step to helping us improve Yelp for everyone, and we're thankful for your help with those efforts.

5. 4.0
      Former Contractor

Overall Good Experience

Jan 18, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun culture, free food, good money.

Cons

Wish they had better benefits

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Discrimination like I've never seen in a workplace before

Jul 16, 2020 - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food, free health benefits and gym membership

Cons

"Yelp Kool-Aid" is a real thing. Stocked kitchen and kegs after work drew you in. Once you settle in, you'll start to notice the culture is terrible. There is discrimination is all aspects (age, gender, race, what school you went to, what sorority/fraternity you were in, etc.). You advance and get favored if your manager likes you (based on the above criteria). This includes better/bigger territories, promotions, etc. They claim that they believe in work/life balance, when truly, as a manager, we were given tasks to do OUTSIDE of work on our own time almost every day. We were required to show up extremely early and stay extremely late to get things done. I would often get criticized for using PTO or sick days, even though I never went over my allotted balance. The expectations as a manager were extremely unrealistic, and the compensation definitely made it not worth it. If you have sales experience, I highly recommend that you DO NOT work here. You will be brain washed, with upper management telling you to blame everything on yourself and that everything that goes wrong is your own fault. They don't care about their people, not one bit. Oh, and one last thing: They laid off people via a pre-recorded video with 0 days notice, 0 transparency.

6 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0

Lots of Unethical Practices

Dec 9, 2020 - Junior Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food in the office

Cons

Lots of misleading sales that "aren't condoned nor encouraged by Yelp" but still regularly take place(with everyone from managers to directors being aware of them) including not fully explaining the product to clients, not divulging information about the charges they would recieve and pressuring potential clients. Work climate is like a fraternity with drug use outside of work at work outings...etc. There is a great business insider article about all of this, I encourage everyone to read before starting. It is extremely accurate.

1 person found this review helpful

Yelp Response

Thank you for taking a moment to let us know how things went during your time at Yelp. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the free food in our offices before COVID-19, but we are concerned to hear that you feel that the needs of our clients are not being considered during the sales process, and that honesty is being compromised in the interest of profits. This behavior is completely against our policy and like you mentioned, is not representative of Yelp's values. We encourage employees to speak up against this behavior without fear of retribution, and have even implemented systems to allow employees to report workplace behaviour anonymously. We invite you to send us more details about your experience at employeefeedback@yelp.com so we can look into this further. We want everyone to feel good about the work they are doing, and to have the tools they need to succeed in an ethical manner that serves our clients best. We're thankful for your contributions to the team and wish you the very best of luck in your next role.

8. 4.0

Perks

Nov 18, 2020 - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food. Lots of co workers. Teach you sales tips

Cons

High pressure to produce sales results.

Yelp Response

Thanks for sharing your experience! It sounds like you found a good number of things to love about Yelp during your time with us as an Account Executive. The Sales Development Program is one that many new AE's truly appreciate and love, and we're glad to hear that you did, too. Thank you for your feedback around feeling pressured during your time in the role. We always encourage our team members to lean on their managers when they are feeling like additional support is needed. We're here to provide additional coaching and support to help you succeed! We're always listening to the concerns of our employees to make Yelp a great place to work, and your feedback helps us take another step in that direction. We're thankful for your contributions to the team and we wish you the best of luck in your next role!

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good as a first job

Jan 19, 2021 - Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

health benefits, friendly coworkers, fringe benefits like free food

Cons

hard sell, low commission, boring to cold call, recycled leads

10. 3.0
      Current Employee

Your choice

Jan 20, 2021 - Account Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits the environment and free food

Cons

Cold calling hard to sale in a pandemic

Viewing 1 - 10 of 276 Reviews