Yes Lifecycle Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Michael Iaccarino

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Work at home policy - You can work from home 100% if you are not close to any satellite offices (in 12 reviews)

• Overall great company to work for in regards to work/life balance and processes put in place (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not care about staff (in 7 reviews)

• Sometimes the work life balance can be out of whack, but that's the industry (in 4 reviews)

"Warning this company goes thru employees in very short order."

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Portland, OR

Pros

great location in portland, right on the green line and bus mall, good view from the office, tea and coffee service in break rooms.

Cons

Between march 09 and june 09 this company fired 3 systems administrators, 1 programmer, and its tech support manager. this company goes thru employees and throws them away. sr management is doomed by group thinking and doesn't listen to technical advise. this is a miserable place to work. think twice before quitting a job elsewhere to work for this place. very long hours on call and dealing with inadequacies that have accumulated over time.

Advice to Management

fire most of the mid to mid-senior level management most of it is dead wood. analyze employee treatment and adhere more carefully to labor laws to stay out of trouble. split off from infogroup they are dragging yesmail down.

"Where bad programmers go to die."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yes Lifecycle Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, multiple company offices (NY, SF, PDX, London, etc). They'll overpay you. A lot.

Cons

Do you thrive in using legacy versions of obsolete software? Do you like being lied to during your interview? If so, you'll love working for Yesmail!

This is a place where best-practices are only something you hear about from your other programmer friends. This is a place where people laugh at you when they find out you've worked here and then they say "Wow, I hadn't heard that name in a long time. Didn't realize they were still around".

The projects worked on here are trivial at best. Their entire CSE team should be replaced by college interns; however, it would only benefit the interns as how to not develop software. Projects (if they can be called that) were never documented, scoped, and the requirements (never gathered) were only ever obtained after weeks of e-mail and phone-tag. Once you finally get a hold of what you need to do, it's already late and all the onus is on you.

On several occasions, managers would interview potential candidates (and be impressed) however only offer a lower position.

The only benefit is that they'll probably overpay you. But you'll need it to pay for the hilariously priced health insurance.

If you literally can not find a job anywhere else dust off that old JSP 1.0 book, read the intro chapter and you'll be good to go.

Advice to Management

Replace your entire technology department. It's not 2001 anymore.

"Good people, terrible management - it's not worth it"

Former Employee - Email Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Email Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Yes Lifecycle Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people willing to work hard

Cons

- Bait and switch - interviewed for one job, offered lower level job and was told I'd grow into the one I interviewed for and it never happened. I found out later that they have a reputation for doing this.
    - Accounts are understaffed - not even to skeleton levels - and nobody from account directors on up don't care.
    - Email Managers are expected to work until the job is done - even if that means 14-18 hours a day with no support from management and trying to find someone from web production who is willing to work late. The company only knows about work/life balance for senior managers and no one else.
    - Management expects work to be shared with overseas teams where English isn't the first language and this causes more problems than it solves. When change finally comes, it is usually the exact opposite of what was asked for.
    - Teams are often spread out, including managers, which makes completing work challenging due to different time zones.
    - Employees are only trained to do their job and trying to gain other account-related knowledge is exceedingly difficult.
    - Direct managers are apathetic at best and do nothing to support staff when issues are brought to their attention. Chain of command is unclear. Account managers have some responsibility, account directors have others and email managers are managed by someone else entirely. It's confusing to know who to go to with problems because managers don't necessarily know the account being worked on.
    - Senior management has no experience in the positions, people and processes that they're managing.
    - Salary increases don't happen unless you threaten to quit and annual reviews are a joke.
    - Expect to pay a lot for terrible benefits - I'd say skip it and shop the healthcare marketplace - you'll most likely find something better and less expensive.

Advice to Management

- Stop hiring people from outside of the company - promote from within! These are the people that understand how the work gets done and would streamline process much better and make Yesmail a better place to work.
    - Invest in your employees and treat them better by offering better benefits at the very least.
    - Stop pulling the bait and switch with job offers - your company is known for this in many circles.
    - Stop forcing terrible programs to be used that don't connect to other aspects of the company. Too many different types of technology are being used to piece together the whole picture when there's better software out there that could replace several old pieces.
    - Provide proper staffing levels for accounts and stop expecting people to work themselves to death. Provide them better salaries and performance-based raises. You have good people working there that strongly dislike their work environment.
    - Create a work culture - there is no culture there - people just come in, work and go home. Any happy hours that happened were created individually. Not even a holiday party while I was there, but other offices had them.

"Sacrifice your all for email marketing"

Former Employee - Web Developer
    Former Employee - Web Developer

I worked at Yes Lifecycle Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It provided income to pay for all of the things I no longer had time to do because my entire life needed to revolve around pleasing our spoiled children of clients 24/7.

Cons

Expected to work 24/7. Expected to sacrifice anything and everything for the clients. Management wouldn't hire more help until well after it was too late. Client teams allowed clients to completely run the show and ruin everyone's lives constantly. Upper management didn't care and would routinely volunteer us for weekend coverage out of the blue, forcing us to cancel any plans we may have already had. No raises. Absolutely ridiculous hours (10+ is the average, lots of people are putting in 15+ because they can't get any help).

Advice to Management

Don't just say you value employees, SHOW IT. There is no team building. It's a toxic culture. People are pitted against one another for some unknown reason making working with your own team a hostile affair most of the time. It's exhausting/draining to be in that position and nothing is worse than waking up and immediately hating the day due to the fact you know that every day you work there is going to be a little worse than the day before.

"If you're desperate enough...."

Former Employee - Email Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Email Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yes Lifecycle Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They will pay you what you ask for. The employees are nice hard-working people.

Cons

You will hate everyday that you work there. They work their employees to death. You are expected to stay & work until the job is done which may require the help of multiple people.

Think twice before you accept a position with this company.

Advice to Management

Stop forcing employees to work on so many different accounts. That's why you have a high turnover rate. You overwork folks& then they are out the door.

"Dreadful"

I worked at Yes Lifecycle Marketing full-time

Pros

It was a paycheck. Nothing else.

Cons

Where to start? Inept and meddling micromanagement starting at the highest levels. An inability to pick a corporate direction and stick to it. Annoying artwork on the walls. A huge lumbering and bumbling Enterprise product that is not helped at all by product management and engineering; it is hindered. Absolutely no way to advance. Awful benefits. No reviews. I could go on for days. It was the worst job of my adult life, bar none.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to a corporation that knows what it is doing.

"Avoid Yesmail"

I worked at Yes Lifecycle Marketing full-time

Pros

-Nearly unlimited working from home. Chances are your manager and team will be in different states, anyway.
    -Casual dress
    Seriously, that's about it. In Portland, the office is over half-empty because people either work from home or are hired in a different office. Working in the office means working in an empty sea of cubes.

Cons

-Below average pay
    -Very little support from management
    -Too many managers, too few leaders
    -Products are far behind competition and perpetually have issues fulfilling what the sales team sells them on. This ends up as an immediate issue the AM team is tasked with resolving.

Advice to Management

Operating at a near-50% annual turnover rate with your employees should tell you something. While competing companies have great benefits for employees, you have "potluck holiday lunch gatherings". Support your teams, pay them what they're worth, and provide internal growth.

"A poorly run company"

I worked at Yes Lifecycle Marketing full-time

Pros

Some very nice and smart people (who should all work where they are respected and valued - not at Yesmail). The pay check did cover my bills.

Cons

The cons are significant. No goals, no reviews, no pay increases, no promotions, awful “benefits”, minimal training, senior Infogroup and Yesmail executives are bullies and do not respect or value those working for the good of the company. The company meetings led by Infogroup CEO, Mike Iaccarino, are clearly an unwelcome chore and only leave you with a feeling of hopelessness and having been intimidated. Leadership is nearly non-existent - minus a few who hang on despite the circumstances. Decisions are made randomly and with no explanation or logic. There is no support system - there really isn't an HR dept, no administrative support, no supplies in the office, no one to actually talk to who could potentially be helpful, no fun, no culture, no sense or security or belonging to something significant, little to no respect, nothing. Advice to job seekers: See above.

Advice to Management

A complete change in attitude toward your employees - the ones making it all happen - would be a good step in the right direction.

"No room for growth/negative atmosphere/laughable benefits"

I worked at Yes Lifecycle Marketing full-time

Pros

The small team you work with will likely consist of some solid people.

Cons

The benefits are laughable. There's no room for growth. Some upper management is unwaveringly sexist. High turnover (for obvious reasons).

"Worst job of my adult life"

I worked at Yes Lifecycle Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I honestly just say here for 20 minutes trying to think of something positive about this experience and I couldn't.

I got to visit Portland. That was cool, I guess.

Cons

* Too many "managers" and not enough leaders
    * There were maybe 4 people there who actually knew what their role is and what they're doing
    * Empty offices; lack of culture
    * No Christmas party; non-existent employee engagement
    * Pretty there were 5-7 VPs - Not really sure what they did all day or where their "offices" were located
    * Revolving door of employees
    * People got promoted for no reason
    * My role wasn't clearly defined when I was hired
    * My interview lasted 20 minutes and it was handled by a "VP" - Not even the person who was my boss or any of the people I directly ended up working with

Advice to Management

Stop calling yourself an ESP. Allow yourself to be acquired by someone who knows what they're doing. I can't even imagine who would bother though.