Yodel Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Yodel CEO Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

Pros
  • The great thing about Yodel is that it's a really fast paced environment and with this means you can get to implement changes quickly (in 3 reviews)

• Good pay, great location and nice office at Liverpool's Albert Dock (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • priority given to employed drivers whilst self employed couriers are given what's left (in 4 reviews)

• They only want self employed drivers now (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

Pros

Security,pay ontime,new vechicles,pension,unifrom,canteens, Nothing else

Cons

More meetings with staff on company progress

Advice to Management

Involve staff more in whats going on

2. "Parcel Delivery Driver"

Former Employee - Parcel Delivery Driver in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Parcel Delivery Driver in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Yodel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary, Team Work, Atmosphere, People

Cons

Travel distance, Equipment, Canteen

3. "delivery service"

Former Employee - Owner Driver in Andover, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Owner Driver in Andover, England (UK)

I worked at Yodel (More than 3 years)

Pros

A flexible job with flexible hours

Cons

Car expenses - fuel costs not paid for.

Advice to Management

pay expenses

4. "Good colleagues, but very boring job"

Former Employee - Administrative in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrative in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at Yodel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice colleagues
    Everyone is helpful
    The location of the office is awesome, overlooking river Mersey

Cons

Bad pay
    No incentives
    Boring work

Advice to Management

Incentives/promotion for good work goes a long way
    Reward your loyal workers more
    Maybe think about more training opportunities and career progression opportunities for newcomers

"Don't let the great location of the nice office fool you, avoid this company at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at Yodel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great location and nice office at Liverpool's Albert Dock. The job role also provided some travel opportunities throughout the UK

Cons

I really don't know where to start. I had a desk based job and contracted to work 9-5.30pm. This only happened a handful of times. The hours are long. Sometimes you had to work 12 hour days, oh and don't expect to be paid any overtime or get the time back in lieu, this was just expected for you to work this long.

The director of the team was a bully with unrealistic deadlines and with no care or respect for his team. There was a culture of fear within the team.

There was no work/life balance.

My line manager was very inexperienced in general management and also my job role. Tasks did not make sense, were not clear and a lot of time was needlessly wasted.

If you were an employee who had been transferred over from HDNL (Home Delivery Network) these seem to be better treated by management and in general, had better terms and conditions in their contracts.

HR (who call themselves 'people services') lock themselves away on the top floor of the office and you need to have your finger print scanned to meet face to face with them, which only a select few have access. Everyone else needs to contact them by filling out a web based form or by telephone. I don't understand the logic of this, especially when you are in the same building as them.

The drivers - I feel so sorry for the self employed drivers. They are the laughing stock of the directors and management. Everyone knows they don't get enough pay to live on and have to work insane hours and bend over backwards to actually be able to live on the money they earn. They are the backbone of the business. Yodel you are a parcel delivery company, it's time to show the delivery drivers some respect. The amount of times the directors and management would be detrimental to the drivers in meetings with rude and disgusting remarks behind their backs was on a weekly and sometimes daily basis. All whilst the directors and management are on their bumper salary pay.

Advice to Management

HR, you need to get your act together. Has anyone reviewed the leaving process? Especially the exit interview.

My exit interview was conducted with my line manager. It was a word document on their laptop. My line manager went through all the questions with me and then I reviewed what had been said.

But, now this is the part i couldn't believe had been so short sighted by HR. The process then is that the line manager attaches the word document to the online HR web form to be sent upstairs to HR.

There are two main issues with this. Number 1 - what happens if the reason you're leaving is because of your line manager and the director of the team? You have to have this really awkward difficult conversation, all whilst the line manager is typing notes on the word document form.

Issue number 2 - the line manager types the form and then sends the form to HR. Just so I can spell this out for you.. this means that the line manager can CHANGE ANYTHING THEY WANT in the exit interview. They are not going to submit a form to HR that makes themselves look bad. They are going to change the answers and make everything look good and that the reasons for leaving are vague. This is what happened in my exit interview and they had no shame in hiding it.

Why can't you send the exit interview to employees addresses and then have them send it back in? That way it would be honest feedback that you can use to better yourselves as a business.

6. "A year on."

Pros

fantastic place to work with ever-changing opportunities to progress in the company.

Cons

wish it was nearer to my home.

Advice to Management

love my job and my environment.

7. "IT Team of the Year - Fantastic direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Yodel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IT Team of the Year - amazing positivity and fast paced improvements.
    Positivity is key - the direction given is focused on improving efficiency and functionality of systems. If you're negative or slow to change, this is not the place for you.
    Recognition for good work and company appreciation.
    Salary and benefits are fantastic.

Cons

None at all - the pace of change may not be for you if you are not adaptable and forward thinking.

Advice to Management

Carry on as you are; continue to recognise the extraordinary work that the staff work hard to produce and stay on course to complete the improvements that you've given direction on.

8. "Delivery Driver"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Yodel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have nothing bad to say. Really like working here good banter, all very helpful.Love the challenge of delivering my parcels on time in great condition.

Cons

I wish they had a full time position available.

9. "Lovely people , poor organisation and even worse drivers."

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

Customer service team were amazing . Real sense of togetherness against the wall of rubbish which was yodel! Not bad pay when all overtime is considered

Cons

The whole organisation structure , creates adverse selection. By offering cheap contracts to subcontracted delivery services all you are doing is creating a way to not be able to monitor your drivers.

"BCS IT team of the year"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Liverpool, England (UK)

Pros

Great place to work with hardworking and motivated staff. If you want excellent career progression with a competitive salary its the place for you.

All the dead wood has been weeded out and you can see this by some of the disgruntled 'anonymous' ex-employee's having a gripe on Glassdoor.

Cons

Consider working somewhere else if you have a negative approach to fast paced change and being challenged to achieve to a robust plan on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Keep it going