Yoga Yoga Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great people, working at a great place on a great mission!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Yoga Yoga full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As one of our Founders said: "Yoga is not about touching your toes, its about opening your heart."
    Each day I am doing a job that helps people help themselves. It is great work and 99% of what I sell will never end up in a trash heap because we sell a service that available for people of all ages and abilities. Which is pretty amazing.
    You get Free Yoga at all locations.
    Exposure to National Teachers, discounts on events, retail, spa and trainings.
    Wear yoga clothes to work and no shoes all day long, plus unlimited freshly made organic tea!
    If you're having a stressful day you can just jump into a yoga class, which I try to do often.
    A great and very friendly community of students and teachers.

Its not all tea and yoga, in fact there is a lot of hard work that goes behind keeping a bunch of empty rooms in business. Nothing comes easy and it is absolutely a "job". The team I work with is supportive, professional and open to hearing questions, criticism/concerns and of course praise!
    I don't just have co-workers, I have friends and we all work together and help each other.
    I have grown every year I have been at Yoga Yoga professionally(in what I do and have learned), personally(in my yoga practice), in title, responsibility and pay. All of which has required hard work, dedication and patience.
    It has not been easy....but good things take work.

There is absolutely room for growth at Yoga Yoga...if you want it.

Cons

I've worked for several privately owned companies in my life and they all struggle with similar problems. Yoga Yoga is no different. Which means things can be challenging as the company is growing. You often have to where multiple hats and work in multiple departments, this can be confusing and challenging. This can and has caused problems. But a problem is a challenge and challenge is an opportunity.

Advice to Management

Continue to set your employee's up for success and you shall find success. Keep being open to feedback and ideas. Be the forklift, be the lighthouse.

Jun 2, 2016 – HR Manager

Your insightful review is greatly appreciated and we continue to work towards solving those opportunities that small businesses face on a regular basis.

2. "Toxic Work Environment"

Former Employee - Center Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Center Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Yoga Yoga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The community that converges around Yoga Yoga is amazing, and it's a great place to work if you don't have to deal with upper management. Free yoga and free or discounted trainings are a huge perk.

Cons

As previous reviewers have stated, the owner of the company views his employees as replaceable and does not value them. He knows there are always more people vying to work at a yoga studio, so treats people poorly, is frequently unprofessional and encourages upper management to be as well. I have never experienced being cussed at in a professional environment as often as at Yoga Yoga, and much of the behavior exhibited by upper management crosses the line to abusive behavior.

Advice to Management

You have a great team - trust them and treat them with professional respect. Courses in how to manage people would benefit the core leadership team, and a better allocation of resources would solve many of the financial difficulties.

3. "Terrible Leadership With Poor Direction"

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Yoga Yoga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The lower level management and staff have their heart in the right place.

Cons

Despite the great intentions of other employees, Yoga Yoga suffers from the poorest leadership I have ever seen. The owner and CEO is hopelessly greedy and belittles his employees to no end in order to make himself feel successful. He has literally called the desk staff "like toilet paper" because of how he sees them being used. Everyone is treated as expendable with little to no value.

Employees are consistently treated like property and never receive any benefits, raises, or bonuses. Some of the hardest working folks will still be paid $9-10 per hour with the excuse that they can't receive raises because some other aspect of the company is struggling to make money. Expect to be asked to do more work for less pay, all under the premise that you should be grateful to have a job working for a sycophant. The CEO will ask inappropriate questions about your social, romantic, and family life, and try to leverage that against you (along with his threats that you'll never amount to anything) whenever you disagree with him. It's intimidation, pure and simple.

I have tremendous sympathy for anyone who gets wrapped up in, or with, this company.

Advice to Management

Stop with the smoke and mirrors trick and stand up for what you know is right.

4. "Don't Get Sucked In"

Pros

Free Yoga - All the classes you can take.
    Your coworkers and great and there is a lot of downtime. Great for students or part-timers.

Cons

The CEO is the opposite of a Yogi. If you are in management or above be prepared to be yelled at and to work with an impossible person with serious personal issues. He might tell you that a low salary or lack of a pay raise is part of working for a value based business. He might say the benefits are so great, that you get to work in a "dream job" so pay should be irrelevant. You may be asked to do more for less. The workplace moral of the company is low and people are jaded. It is not the positive environment you would think it to be.

Advice to Management

Best of luck to you.

5. "Progression in an amazing industry"

I have been working at Yoga Yoga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to move up (started selling yoga for wellness programs and moved up to management from there after a couple of years), collaborative teams, core values around doing good in the world, innovation in the wellness industry, and working with people who are dedicated to creating more happiness in the world are all key factors to consider working at Yoga Yoga.

Cons

Like a tech start-up, the teams are smaller and lots of work needs to be done. It can definitely be very draining at times, and the energy and drive from coworkers definitely helps there.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on quarterly goals, keep the projects reasonable, keep the heart in it!

Aug 5, 2016 – HR Manager

Thank you for leaving your feedback. We continue to strive towards conquering all those projects that need to be finished. Love making a difference through a positive impact and couldn't do that... More

6. "Not a place to move your career forward"

I worked at Yoga Yoga part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At first, Yoga Yoga seems like an exciting place where your new ideas are welcome and you can initiate and carry out innovative projects. The atmosphere is exciting and the people are really nice.

Cons

The reality is they are too disorganized, inconsistent, and underfunded for your new ideas to take root. You might be allowed to initiate a project but you won't be given resources and you will probably not complete your project. If you do complete it, it will be with a shoestring budget and so it won't be pulled off well. They have a lot of talent and passion there but they usually produce low-quality results. So don't go in thinking you will move your career forward at this job.

The pay and benefits are really low and work-life balance is pretty bad. They don't respect your personal schedule and treat little things as if they are emergencies.

Advice to Management

You know what all the problems are and why they will never change. My best advice? Breathe, relax, and enjoy the fact that you don't have to wear shoes at work.

Jun 2, 2016 – HR Manager

We appreciate constructive suggestions and thoughts to improve the yoga community as there are always things that every employer can work on. As far as low quality results, our yoga teachers... More

7. "Enjoy my job and coworkers"

I have been working at Yoga Yoga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been here for a little over a year and have been promoted twice. I like my supervisor and my coworkers. I feel like you get out of what you put in to your job here. I love having unlimited free yoga and I love that I have had the opportunity to meet a lot of like minded individuals. I am learning a lot more since taking a few Natural Epicurean classes as well (which are open to Yoga Yoga employees)

Cons

Some times long hours and need to juggle to get my job done and still have time to do my yoga practice.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee suggestions and implement them.. We are the front line and we know what can make Yoga Yoga better.

Aug 5, 2016 – HR Manager

We appreciate your suggestions and do try to implement many suggestions given by employees. Some times, we find it a struggle trying to find ways to implement the great suggestions we receive due to... More

8. "A refreshing environment!"

Current Employee - Assistant Center Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Center Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Yoga Yoga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive atmosphere, it's sort of dream to work full time at a yoga studio and get free yoga, workshops and incredible discounts on retail, events and teacher training! What more could I ask for! Thanks Yoga Yoga

Cons

Sometimes not enough time to fit in yoga! Just have to juggle your schedule and practice self care!

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job and working hard to bring the best to the community.

"Losing their values"

I worked at Yoga Yoga part-time

Pros

Nice physical studios; and some fellow coworkers are seeking truth and light.

Cons

Horrible management at some locations blocks the path for any truth seeker.

Advice to Management

Listen to Yogi Bhajan and go back to your values.

Aug 5, 2016 – HR Manager

Thank you for leaving your feedback. As we evaluate programs, people, management and many other small business challenges, we definitely value input. Our mission is very basics driven and our goals... More

10. "Free yoga, but low pay"

Current Employee - Front Desk in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Front Desk in Austin, TX

I have been working at Yoga Yoga part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the assistant manager and my co workers. You get free yoga.

Cons

The pay really sucks. The owner is very impersonal and doesnt care about his employees. No bonus, raises or benifits

Advice to Management

Show the appreciation to your employees! Full time employees should get benefits and raises.