York Telecom Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ronald J. Gaboury

1. "Good contracting company"

Former Employee - Video Technician in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Video Technician in Columbus, OH

I worked at York Telecom Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay with excellent benefits. Generous severance package when contract ended.Fine

Cons

May not be a place to go if the contract you are on ends for whatever reason.

2. "remote employee"

Current Employee - Technician in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technician in Boston, MA

I have been working at York Telecom Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company that offers all the necessary manufacturer training

Cons

very cliquish. If you don't rub elbows with the right people you don't get invited. And good luck getting a response to that email!

Advice to Management

include perks to all of your employees equally, and at the least respond to email

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Eatontown, NJ
    Former Employee - Consultant in Eatontown, NJ

Pros

Productive environment, friendly employees, excellent office

Cons

Underfunded, needs capital(money), management slow to respond

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of the unproductive dead weight

5. "Great employer, great team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at York Telecom Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Media services team is fantastic. Amazing group of dedicated and talented people that make magic happen every day for clients and colleagues. Company promotes from within. Huge growth opportunities. Big upside potential. Employee-friendly and family-friendly environment in the Virginia office.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to keep up with the pace at which things are moving.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It's working.

6. "Review"

Former Employee - Avionics and Instrument and Flight Technician in Riva, MD
    Former Employee - Avionics and Instrument and Flight Technician in Riva, MD

I worked at York Telecom Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

HR Payroll and Benefits Administration and IT department employees are professional and very helpful.

Cons

Disappointing with the IVT department out off SSA in Baltimore, VCC department low morale and unhappy stressed out employees. Unprofessional environment.. I was hired in a position that was not a fit and was overqualified for.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified Managers for SSA out of Baltimore Md, and dont swap managers out when a new hire has interviewed with another manager that was qualified bait and switch tactic is low and unprofessional.

"Growing company with no growth plan"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eatontown, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eatontown, NJ

I worked at York Telecom Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Because of the company's rapid growth, there are a lot of opportunities for cross-functional or inter-departmental collaboration and responsibilities (especially for inexperienced employees).
    The work is very easy in Managed Services, not exactly a stressful job.
    The people and environment are very casual and laid-back, okay people to work with for the most part.
    Travel to remote offices and clients are supported and not difficult to get approved (I had a few friends that were sent to California for training and overseas to help with the opening of our new office). I personally was sent onsite as a show of solidarity for one of the marquee accounts and never had any trouble with reimbursements or micro management of my plans while out of the office.
    Department heads do their best to hold some sort of contest or infrequent party for their respective groups to bolster camaraderie and morale. There were a lot of changes happening in my short time there, but I keep in touch with some of the employees and it sounds like the Managed Services department is now governed by a very competent Director with a fresh perspective. Hopefully, this new person will be able to execute on their plan and make a true change for Yorktel.

Cons

Unfortunately there is more bad than good. I started here as a contract worker (as most in Managed Services do). Yorktel was very dishonest about the employee reviews in order to give me full-time status. I was a top performer, had zero deviations, was always on time, went above and beyond, trained new resources, etc. and still they drug their feet for nearly a year hiring me to save money on my benefits (I assume).
    The training is horrendous. No one knows what they are doing because there is no structure (or at least there wasn't 2 years ago). They have a few mid level managers that don't even have any higher education. They've just been at the company for so long that they skate by despite their complete lack of forward thinking or contribution. This to me is the #1 hindrance to innovation and improvement for Yorktel. The "old" Yorktel I think is mostly gone now, but when this handful of managers were running the show, flagrant dishonesty, laziness, lack of accountability, and poor management decisions abounded. These managers were also quite influential over executives and had some pretty inappropriate ties to clients and colleagues (some rumors of interoffice snogging).
    The pay is ridiculous for members in Managed Services. I worked my tail off (they force you to be on rotation for holidays and often weekends) volunteering to be on shift for new clients that we weren't staffed for or international clients that needed a special touch. I was promised a bonus. At the end of the year, after working at least 60 hours every week at odd hours of the night, I was given no raise, $500, and told that I should be grateful. Needless to say, this was one of the main reasons I chose to leave. You had to use a clock in clock out time sheet submission program that was super antiquated (all of their programs were old and sad, like Oracle) and even if you were forced to work overtime, you weren't allowed to log that overtime and get paid appropriately. We were forced to work during Hurricane Sandy lest we lost our entire customer base. How do you not have a DR plan or some sort of staffing fail over for emergencies? I trekked to the office which was completely out of power for days with a generator pumping gasoline fumes into the work space in the freezing cold. We all got a gift card for this heroism. Not exactly commensurate.
    The turnover is one of the worst I've ever seen. The career opportunities are pitiful. In Managed Services, you could go from Call Scheduler to Launcher to perhaps Technical Services if you were familiar with hardware. Almost never did you move into Service Implementation or any sort of true strategic role that would benefit you or the company. Certainly not a meritocracy. In my two years, I saw 4 heads of Managed Services come and go. Mostly because the appointees either couldn't turn around the massive mess that the department was or the goals/budget were never clearly defined for them so they were perceived as failures. Either way, the lack of stability was very detrimental to the group.
    There is definitely some corruption happening as well, hopefully that part of Yorktel is drawing to a close with the new management. But I've heard tales of sexual harassment, inappropriate blurring of work and personal boundaries, and defunct HR policies.
    There were almost no office perks either, it's trivial to mention, but the HQ is basically a warehouse. Not a place I would ever bring clients.

Advice to Management

Listen to your newly appointed managers and implement their suggestions! You are in drastic need of sustainable change that will take you to the next level. Get rid of chummy old managers that perpetuate the old Yorktel mindset and way of life. Pay appropriately if you want to retain talent. Institute real process and security procedures to give your clients peace of mind. Fire Ron, if he's still there, that man has no idea how to oversee a growing business.

"Good Pay, Adequate Benefits"

Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Columbus, OH

I have been working at York Telecom Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company, at least locally, provides an excellent salary. For what we do, I think our staff is paid a higher than usual hourly/salary rate than the rest of the industry.

Cons

Working at a remote location (relative to the Company's home office) might color some of this a little more darkly than otherwise. However, we received little to know contact from the home office and we definitely do not feel like we are part of the company.

Also, the options for health insurance are not the most favorable. While you pay a smaller premium than you would if you were purchasing insurance on your own, the premiums are still pretty high for all but those earning at least 1.5x national median salary. If my wife did not have excellent health insurance at her workplace, I might not have taken the position with Yorktel.

Finally, I find the company contributions to our 401k to be a bit lower than most other companies. Yorktel (at least for us) only pays $0.50 per $1 employees contribute up to 5%. That is the lowest I've seen in my adult working life...but I might be more lucky than most.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to see additional money put towards helping employees to better their education.

"Yorktel is a federal contact company for Social Security Administration"

Current Employee - Baltimore in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Baltimore in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at York Telecom Corporation full-time

Pros

Contact at Social Security Administration which is a nice agency to work for.
    Good benefits.

Cons

Low pay
    Disorganized
    No growth opportunities
    Poor management communication

Advice to Management

Please educate on roles of employees. Just try to care about people.

"Fun and challenging with opportunities for intelligent people"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at York Telecom Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company makes it easy to shine if you are a top-performer. Company is focused on the telecom technology and equipment side of the business, and is well-versed in providing high-quality video-teleconferencing solutions. Excellent core group of project managers result in on-time and on-budget project completion.

Cons

Small company make it easy to get overwhelmed with tasks due to understaffing. Senior management can similarly get mired in indecision because there is not enough staff to complete all tasks with the high quality that the company and customers desire.

Advice to Management

Need to focus a bit more on HR and weeding out poor performers and having the proper number of people to do the jobs right.

"Has potential for great, but not bad."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at York Telecom Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some benefits are very good. Some decisions are well made. Some managers are good, some are awful.

There is a substantial amount of talent in this company, a number of very talented people who know how to get things done.

This company does far more right than wrong, and comes close to excellence, but manages to stop just short.

Roles and duties for employees and managers are very specialized and specific of course the advantage is a limited amount of responsibility and accountability and personal focus on excellence in a target area that is quite manageable.

Cons

Management seems disconnected, the performance metrics are absurdly inaccurate, resulting in a constant state of change of leadership. There is a high churn rate (at least once per year) in management as managers are responsible but not allowed to implement real improvements or changes.

There are no bonuses or incentives, and positive recognition is non-existent (all stick, no carrot).
    Being here: pigeon holed into a small and specific role: we tend to lose cutting edge skill and experience versus a broader experience at a smaller company. It can be tedious or lack challenge with such a small area of responsibility.

Advice to Management

Organize, improve by using the amazing talent pool that you have.
    There is also wisdom from the bottom up, not just the top down.
    Some of those people have worked in competitors and know better ways of doing things.

Reward the right people by using accurate measurable and specific performance metrics, give them incentive and opportunities.
    People are what build a company, it is less costly to retain talent than to retrain or replace them because the top talent are the ones who use York as a step while the mediocre will stay even in less than favorable situations.

We do things so well for the core portions of the business but there are those 5% details that management stubbornly refuses to consider addressing.
    Imagine the world's best car with a key that does not work?
    How can anyone experience the pleasure of driving it when we cannot even get into the vehicle, much less start it?