York Wallcoverings Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sales"

I have been working at York Wallcoverings full-time

Pros

The new Director of Domestic sales has achieved great results by transforming the domestic sales rep team.

Cons

You need to be able to embrace change

2. "Sales"

I have been working at York Wallcoverings full-time

Pros

Great culture, forward thinking, big ideas are embraced, our president inspires us to think outside of the box

Cons

We are doing big things, change is tough for some but necessary to continue growth

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work, your are inspiring the team with your dynamic vision of tomorrow

3. "Sinking Ship"

I have been working at York Wallcoverings full-time

Pros

The people are what make that place a positive environment. The loyalty to this company is astounding.

Cons

Management. Legacy thinking. Management doesn't understand how far behind the company is with regards to technology. Management doesn't listen to employees. They don't know who their employees or what they even do. Its all about pumping out the work without regards to the quality. Did I say legacy thinking?

Advice to Management

Your employees are what make this company what it is. Start appreciating them. Start paying attention to their work and how talented these people are, not to mention how loyal they've been.

"Avoid this sinking ship..."

I worked at York Wallcoverings full-time

Pros

The people. There are talented, creative and hard-working people at York Wallcoverings. Most of them are super helpful and work well together...and are trying to remain "positive" as much as possible.

Cons

The workload overall could be rough at times and occasionally work would be absorbed from others who left and were never replaced, or just dumped onto you. Roles and responsibilities aren't clearly defined. The mindset for some tasks were: "Here's this; figure it out." Even though the requirements would change mid-progress...or worse, after it was done and completed. The lack of consistency and clear direction/objective made for a stressful working environment. Most work days, because of the lack of true collaboration, you would just feel like a "gear in the machine."

The mood of the place is fairly low. If I remained employed there, I would never make more money to keep up with the cost of living, be happier or learn anything new. There was also a fear among most employees that the company is a sinking ship because of the lack of transparency from the top regarding the true status of the company.

The executive/leadership team (most of them) is the most negative aspect of this job. There are several individuals in leadership positions/long time employees that remain there regardless of negative performance reviews and complaints against them. They've created an environment that is less collaborative and more of a dictatorship. There feels like a big divide between "us" and "them." They also appear to spend most of their work days in meetings simply to create more work for those below them. I also don't think they're truly open to change (which is needed) and boosting the moral and positivity of their employees (which is crucial for York's survival). The general focus should be on making great, creative product...not the political, ego-driven power play that goes on behind the scenes. I don't understand why the Investment Company that owns York appears to be so "hands off" with their investment...are they not aware of the true mood of the company?

The pay is pretty crappy. The odds are (unless you're upper management) you're make at or below the average rate in the area. Also, the company goes through "wage freezes" every few years...even though some individuals still receive raises during this time. And when you finally get the (pity) promotion you've been putting the work and effort into gaining, the end result financially (at least for me) doesn't move the needle very much at all. Even with a degree, I was still working several side jobs...while most of the individuals in upper positions have little to no experience or degree in their field, and continue to climb the ladder. It's so backwards. The benefits are so so.

Advice to Management

Stop fighting your employees, and roll up your sleeves and work alongside them. Take the time to learn the strengths of the employees and strive to challenge them and bring the best out of them. You're not going to achieve an enjoyable, caring work environment until you really tune into the mood of the workers and treat them fairly and give them what they deserve. Without them, where does that leave you?
    York hasn't been very good about pulling the talents/voices out of their employees. Trust your employees. Simply put: It's crucial for the company and it's productivity, especially now. You have to REALLY be open to that fact and work to make it happen.

5. "Manager"

I worked at York Wallcoverings full-time

Pros

Employees are hard working and creative. They strive to do their best and consistently go above and beyond.

Cons

The employee's hard work and dedication is not appreciated. Managers are constantly telling exec team that there are problems and they are not listened to. This company is falling apart quickly.

6. "Don't fall for it"

Current Employee - Manager in York, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in York, PA

I have been working at York Wallcoverings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Close drive for employees in York County

Cons

I've been deceived and hurt so many times here. My fellow employees warned me many times but I didn't listen. I need a job so I will tough it out until I find something better. Don't apply here it is falling apart quickly.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say to the upper management. They are the problem. I can't believe they are running this place. Very in professional group.

7. "Account Manager"

I have been working at York Wallcoverings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive team environment, flexible schedule, Your success here is directly correlated to the work and effort you put in. York provides you with the tools needed to be successful and the management team is readily available to help you achieve your goals as you grow in your career. If you are willing to be on the cutting edge of a co, reaching for higher levels and growth this is where you should be. The product this company offers to the Design trade/end user is outstanding and name recognition is highly perceived. A fun, friendly environment to work within.

Cons

Moving forward to the next level can be challenging at times. It takes patients to understand the overall procedures that are being put into place to have a positive outcome. Turn negative into positives and you have a win win situation.

Advice to Management

Take the feed-back that is received from your front forces (sales team) and take advantage of their ideas. They are the eyes and ears of future growth within a company!

"Sales"

I have been working at York Wallcoverings full-time

Pros

Creative, talented, innovative, driven and dynamic are just a few words that describe the culture at York. Our President is so driven to bring our organization to the next level. He does this by starving the distractions and feeding the focus. Hardwork and dedication is the mantra of our team. I am proud to work for York at this very exciting time.

Cons

"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not fighting the old, but on building the new".
    If you want to stay the same and not get better then this is not the environment for you. However, if your not afraid of hardwork and learning new skills then you will thrive in this culture.

Advice to Management

Remember the six most expensive words in business are: "We've always done it that way".
    Keep challenging the talent around you, together we can do big things.

9. "You can't make it up"

I worked at York Wallcoverings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of super talented, smart and creative people. Creativity is the heart of the company.

Cons

The general feeling among the employees is confusion and mistrust. There is no transparency to the executive level. The executive group doesn't seem aligned and are all working on their own agendas. Their strategic goals sound like something Michael Scott would have thought up.
    The buildings are old and poorly maintained.

"Turbulent"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at York Wallcoverings full-time

Pros

Really nice coworkers, great product.

Cons

This WAS a fantastic company to work for. Family owned but then sold to a group of investors. All decisions are about the bottom line. Sacrificing long term growth and quality of execution in departments to save a few dollars today. Very sad looking at what a great company it was to how it is evolving.

Advice to Management

Look to and invest in long term growth. The money you save today will cost you in the long run in mistakes in customer service, shipping, books etc. Have a vision and commit the resources to make it successful.