YouGov Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
YouGov CEO Stephan Shakespeare
Stephan Shakespeare

"Organization on the Rise"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YouGov (More than 5 years)

Pros

YouGov rewards its stars. If you find ways to add value and go above and beyond the call of duty, you'll see yourself rise quickly. If you want to do the bare minimum, you might want to do it elsewhere- you'll go nowhere fast if you're the "punch in and punch out" type.

YouGov's syndicated products and custom research offerings are becoming recognized by the business industry nationwide. Often, when we visit clients or prospective partners, they're aware of our organization before we even step foot in the door- and our company name has cachet behind it.

Cons

Team building can get better across the organization. Global connectivity between hubs and standardization of work processes can also be improved. Turnover ratios within certain verticals should be given a harder look by senior management.

Advice to Management

Workplace happiness is important and should be curated. Also, continue to mine the lower ranks and identify stars; give them a clear path to success within the company.

"Worst employer I've worked for"

Former Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at YouGov full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Convenient location? In some specific instances, felt encouraged and supported by

Cons

Thinking about my time at YouGov still fills me with anxiety. Although there are *some* smart people working here, the management is toxic, the products were of questionable value, and the culture was pretty non-existent. Work-life balance was hard, as I was often expected to work nights and weekends (often >60 hrs/week). My manager was known for being abrasive, but concerns raised to HR were dismissed, as nothing he was doing was *illegal*. I developed an anxiety condition from the overwork, constant criticism, and gaslighting.

The technical infrastructure wasn't well-maintained, and I was frequently unable to complete my work due to non-functioning pipelines. Engineers were understaffed and often grumpy, occasionally refusing to do work for folks they didn't think paid them enough respect. It was weird.

I never really bought into the value of YG's syndicated products, as I came to realize that the data they were based on was problematic, and we couldn't deduce any real insights (even internally) from it. The sustainability of the business model seems to be to constantly attract new clients to replace those that have left (in droves). As a result, salespeople have a VERY hard job, and are selling a product without clear value to their clients.

When I left, I got a similar job in the area with a salary nearly twice what I made at YG. No longer having to deal with the toxic culture has greatly improved my quality of life.

There's really no "culture" across the company. There was no "teambuilding", training, or "all-hands" in the US to keep folks up to date.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Do MORE than the minimum legal requirement to ensure a good experience. Do 360 manager reviews, so that bad managers have feedback (and complaints are on the record). Consider removing notoriously difficult managers.

Jan 30, 2017 – Sr HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We have not been in Palo Alto for over a year so I am not certain if this review was written very late, or if the city was just entered incorrectly. Regardless, I am ... More

"Horrible Development Culture"

Pros

Working remotely has its perks and developers on the teams are all great people. There are some interesting problems to solve with opportunity to work with new technology.

Cons

Development management is non-existant. As roles become available, they are filled by other developers without actually defining a new role. The result is that some developers become managers and see the promotion as a means of having others code for them. Project management techniques are absent in favor of the "manager" defining whatever sort of goals he/she wants.

Advice to Management

Great developers have left the company. These sorts of people really could have made a huge difference, but they quickly recognized the toxic software development environment and left. While the company may not be a "software" company, the emphasis on technology has been thought of as a competitive advantage. If there is a desire to increase the impact of technology in the company, invest finding real development managers that can help increase velocity and create high functioning teams.

Dec 8, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for your feedback, we have a very strong tech offering now and brought in senior experts to spearhead our development functions. This is a real focus for us and is being driven by industry ... More

"Love YouGov"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Collaborative workplace and great team

Cons

UK-focused at time and not on the US

Dec 8, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for your feedback, I take onboard your comments and can assure you that with our new structures we are a much more globally focused business.

"Great work place"

Pros

Great co-workers, very knowledgeable and willing to help. Flexible work place, can work from home, if necessary.

Cons

Need to invest in computer more often. Also, have more rewards for employee like lunches. More organization to deadlines.

Advice to Management

Organize project deadlines, have more "reward" lunches for employees.

Dec 8, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

7. "Great culture and work ethic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at YouGov full-time

Pros

There is a great work ethic across YouGov, specifically the NYC office
    Dedicated and talented work colleagues who seem to genuinely care about each other and the work they are doing

Cons

None that i've seen so far

Thanks for sharing.

8. "Growing Company, great culture in NYC"

Pros

Growing, successful businesses within the company. Young team that cares about each other personally and professionally. Opportunities to learn if you are interested in doing so.

Cons

With a fast moving business transparency and direction can be challenging and can get lost in the shuffle. More career development would be helpful.

Advice to Management

Reward most loyal employees, celebrate successes more

Dec 8, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

This is very useful, thanks for sharing.

9. "YouGov California"

Current Employee - Vice President in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at YouGov full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart people and a flexible organization; good work/life balance, fun and engaging work, long-time team team members. Many folks have done various jobs in the organization so the breath of knowledge across teams is unusual.
    California group is about 30, just the right size so you can know everyone. Compensation is good. Unusually good benefits include 401k match and Caltrain pass.

Cons

If you expect the structure of a company like Oracle you will disappointed. The California team is more agile and flexible- less stiff. The culture is more start-up than stodgy.

Dec 8, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to share.

"Sink or swim, lack direction and integrity"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

Pros

every one goes out drinking and comes in late, they seem to have no problem with that

Cons

NO TRAINING, they gave me all these different things to research and nothing ever led to me understanding my job. NO structure in the company and everyone is for themselves!

Advice to Management

Compile a training program to help your employees understand what they are supposed to do and what they are selling. Manger your time to speak with your employees instead of asking to have a "chat" when it is convenient to you!

Dec 8, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for sharing, you will be pleased to hear that we now have dedicated learning and development resource across the globe.

11. "Overview"

Pros

Good culture, and good work/life balance. Also really innovative and pushes the boundaries.

Cons

Communication isn't always the best

Advice to Management

Improve communication company wide

Dec 8, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for sharing and work is underway to improve company wide comms.