YouGov Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
YouGov CEO & Founder Stephan Shakespeare
Stephan Shakespeare

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible with hours, and plenty of opportunity to work from home" (in 8 reviews)

• "I worked very hard at this company but also had a great work-life balance that you really cannot find elsewhere across the Bay Area" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Occasionally had to work long hours, but overall the work/life balance was good" (in 4 reviews)

• "Promotions are just in title only but you’ll still be doing the same tasks at the same low pay" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Perfect Opportunity to Gain Experience"

Former Employee - Research Intern
    Former Employee - Research Intern

I worked at YouGov full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and good office dynamics, I was given a lot of independence as an intern and truly felt that I contributed to the workload and overall office productivity

Cons

Occasionally had to work long hours, but overall the work/life balance was good

Feb 6, 2019 – Global Talent Business Partner

Thank you for leaving your feedback, we're pleased to see your enjoyed your time with as an Intern. We'd love to hear from you in the future, do keep in touch with our Early Careers team

"Disorganized Company"

Pros

The office gives fruit and beer.

Cons

The challenge I had working here was that there is no clear career path. The product that they sell is weak and inaccurate. Our system is full of bugs and there is no chance to move up within the organization. Promotions are just in title only but you’ll still be doing the same tasks at the same low pay. The benefits are not accepted here in NY at any reputable medical office and there is no 401k match. What is more despicable is that HR forces the team to write positive reviews on Glassdoor in order to boost ratings. Look at the most recent positive review and you’ll see how the fake reviews look. If you see a lot of job openings, it’s there for a reason...

Oct 30, 2018 – Global Head of Talent

Whilst we appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment, you have cited inaccurate information about company benefits in the New York office and, whilst it is your own personal view, inaccurate... More

"Depends on the manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Director in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Project Director in Boulder, CO

I worked at YouGov full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is ample opportunity to work from home. Most technical staff and analysts are very good at what they do.

Cons

I worked in the Colorado office and received virtually no training. I was let go within four months of being hired (with no explanation). Be weary of this office.

Advice to Management

Set your new employees up for success.

Aug 8, 2018 – Global Head of Talent

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. We are sorry to hear your thoughts on training and have discussed these concerns with the management team responsible for the Colorado region... More

"Not for everyone, but the ones that love it, really love it"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YouGov full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This place has more mothers of young children working here than any office I've ever worked for, and it's easy to see why - they are really flexible about schedules, and understand when Life interferes with the 9-5. Women are definitely in leadership positions here. This is also a great place for people with disabilities or people who need medical care, as the flexible hours mean you can go to doctor appointments or work from home if you are unwell. Of course, they will provide accommodations for physical disabilities in the office as well. We also have a lot of people who are not native English speakers, and manage to work together well, working through any miscommunications/language barriers - this office truly hires diversely and walks their talk.

The flexibility isn't just for doctor appointments, either. Some coworkers have family abroad and are able to work remotely in order to visit their family, in addition to using vacation time, so they can have a longer trip.

It's a quiet office, we don't socialize as much as other places. I don't mind it honestly. In other jobs, I would feel a bit irritated at people who sit around or goof off instead of getting things done, so maybe this is a personality type thing. We work hard. We do occasionally have get-togethers or celebrations. I think some of it is that we are an office of predominantly introverts.

My coworkers are smart. Really smart. They are also funny and nerdy in ways that overlap with my humor/nerdiness. I genuinely love some of them. This is a place where people sincerely care about you as a person, where you can be real about who you are and what's going on in your life.

I appreciate how open my supervisor is to my input and feedback. They are really open to suggestions of how to do things better, or to debate what conclusions we draw from the data. They also teach me a wide spread of skills I didn't have when I came in, from types of analysis I haven't done to project management to client presentations/management. I learn a lot from the people above me.

The work is fast-paced and super detail-oriented, a challenge is something I enjoy. How can we solve this unexpected problem and still meet our super quick deadline? How can we prevent it from happening again? There is also a ton of areas where you can develop your skills - programming, stats and data analysis, project management, industry-specific knowledge, market research best practices for example. I feel really proud of the work we do - YouGov produces some of the most accurate data/analysis you can find in our industry, and our office is the leader of the pack among the global teams.

Cons

Work wise, as you may have guessed from the other reviews, no one works a 40 hr work week. We all work late sometimes, weekends sometimes. That said, no one criticizes you for not doing so, its more of a 'peer pressure' type thing. I'm working on setting better work boundaries, and I am hoping others will join me in changing that aspect of office culture.

Sometimes emotions run high here. Certain departments are known to be hypersensitive / defensive - say something the wrong way, you may get a snappy response. I've been present in all-staff meetings where two managers get into it, and its uncomfortable in a "my parents are fighting" kind of way. On the plus side, it blows over quickly, aaaand if you ever do snap at someone, it will clearly not get you fired, for better or worse.

This office used to be a start-up, and then got bought by YG - as a result, they are growing quickly without quite having the infrastructure they need set up. So many people here don't know what their next promotion would look like. It seems like titles are arbitrarily invented to create positions for people. On the plus side, if there's a title you really want, suggest it!

Complaints to management are not handled very well here. They tend to do nothing. The policies and procedures here are hazy at best, and compliance is also so so. For example, depending on who your manager is, you may never actually get a performance review. Some managers are so overloaded, it's easy for them to lose track of the interpersonal stuff. I do expect this to get better as YouGov gets more organized at the top-level, something that is in the works. In the meantime, I recommend going to HR if you have concerns you need addressed.

Advice to Management

You can see from the Cons list areas that I think need improvement. Don't be afraid to be direct and pro-active. It seems uncomfortable at first, but its way better than leaving people in the dark or letting issues fester.

Oct 26, 2017 – Global Talent Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to feedback, it's good to hear the positives you have to say about YouGov. We are working hard to integrate all offices globally, and feedback like this will help us to... More

5. "Great place to grow and learn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at YouGov full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked at YouGov for almost 5 years and I loved my time there. My co workers in the San Francisco Bay offices were like a second family to me and were driven to do very high quality work. Culture can vary by group and office, but the company has shown increased commitment to creating a unified positive work environment and in improving employee morale, career development, and life-work balance. I worked very hard at this company but also had a great work-life balance that you really cannot find elsewhere across the Bay Area. Management is fair and provides great flexibility with scheduling. If you work from home on the weekends once in a while, it's usually because you are also given the opportunity to leave early/arrive late or go to appointments as needed without any shaming or penalties. If you come to work at YouGov with a positive attitude and are ready to work hard across teams, you will find yourself succeeding while having a good time with smart colleagues. You'll also learn such great skills - everywhere I go after YouGov, people are impressed by the things I learned while working there and by the training I received. You'll get to work on data collection, analysis, and reporting for some of the most recognizable global tech companies while learning their great suite of in-house tools too. The company (especially in SF Bay Area) is full of exceptionally smart people who display a commitment to their line of work. The Director of the SF Bay Area is also a great boss and she will make your work life fun!

Cons

Only con is when the kitchen runs low on snacks...which isn't too often!

Advice to Management

Suggest that corporate management provide clear paths to development for all YouGov employees, particularly those starting or mid career and to young women. Sometimes feels like you're not sure what your next step might be. Would also be nice to spread around the skills between teams (more training on R and similar tools for non technical staff maybe?).

"Bright spots are getting harder to find"

I worked at YouGov full-time

Pros

The researchers are brilliant and motivated, driven by a desire to provide best-in-class service to their clients and outstanding data-driven insights. The US Custom Research department in particular has strong, long-standing client relationships that are a testament to the quality of work and in-service attitude the teams provide.

Cons

Global management is a nightmare - the toxicity of their actions is off the charts compared to any other company I've worked for. Lack of appreciation for the US business market and for the type of work and service that Custom teams are capable of providing to their clients will ultimately be the company's un-doing. Very few women in senior positions within the organization both globally and in the US is a serious red flag. The culture from the top-down is domineering, resistant to differing viewpoints and opinions, and even borders on retaliatory/punitive at times.

Advice to Management

People running business units should be experts in their field and highly respected by their peers, clients, and subordinates - not just long-term employees. Leadership lacks credibility. Actively pursue a more supportive culture and recruit women into executive positions to further balance out the leadership style and create a more diverse and open environment.

May 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to add your comment, we value your opinion and have noted your comments. YouGov has grown as such a rate that, of course, there may be bumps along the way but the good... More

"Great Start!"

Current Employee - Client Service Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Service Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at YouGov full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been working with the company for a short time, but it has been such a great start!

-Fulfilling and challenging work with a very collaborative atmosphere, you feel that the people here really care about your professional development and growth.

-Great job to have if you are fresh out of college, get the opportunity to work for a big, well recognized firm but in the New York office it maintains an amazing start up culture.

-Flexible with hours, and plenty of opportunity to work from home

-Depending on your role, you will have the opportunity to travel

-Very fun, and nice people, a great atmosphere

-Great Location for the New York Office

-Waking up excited for work on a Monday! Huge plus

Cons

So far so good! None to really report, but as is with any place, you have to be sure that the atmosphere is right for you! If you are looking for a corporate setting, then this will not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to bring on talented and enthusiastic people and the firm will keep growing!

May 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment, glad to have you onboard!

8. "Research Executive"

Pros

Innovative with great people working there

Cons

Not much career advancement and some disorganization from the top

May 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for taking the time to respond, we now have a dedicated learning and development function globally to support career development.

"Worst employer I've worked for"

Former Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at YouGov full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Convenient location? In some specific instances, felt encouraged and supported by

Cons

Thinking about my time at YouGov still fills me with anxiety. Although there are *some* smart people working here, the management is toxic, the products were of questionable value, and the culture was pretty non-existent. Work-life balance was hard, as I was often expected to work nights and weekends (often >60 hrs/week). My manager was known for being abrasive, but concerns raised to HR were dismissed, as nothing he was doing was *illegal*. I developed an anxiety condition from the overwork, constant criticism, and gaslighting.

The technical infrastructure wasn't well-maintained, and I was frequently unable to complete my work due to non-functioning pipelines. Engineers were understaffed and often grumpy, occasionally refusing to do work for folks they didn't think paid them enough respect. It was weird.

I never really bought into the value of YG's syndicated products, as I came to realize that the data they were based on was problematic, and we couldn't deduce any real insights (even internally) from it. The sustainability of the business model seems to be to constantly attract new clients to replace those that have left (in droves). As a result, salespeople have a VERY hard job, and are selling a product without clear value to their clients.

When I left, I got a similar job in the area with a salary nearly twice what I made at YG. No longer having to deal with the toxic culture has greatly improved my quality of life.

There's really no "culture" across the company. There was no "teambuilding", training, or "all-hands" in the US to keep folks up to date.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Do MORE than the minimum legal requirement to ensure a good experience. Do 360 manager reviews, so that bad managers have feedback (and complaints are on the record). Consider removing notoriously difficult managers.

Jan 30, 2017 – Sr HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We have not been in Palo Alto for over a year so I am not certain if this review was written very late, or if the city was just entered incorrectly. Regardless, I am... More

"Organization on the Rise"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YouGov (More than 5 years)

Pros

YouGov rewards its stars. If you find ways to add value and go above and beyond the call of duty, you'll see yourself rise quickly. If you want to do the bare minimum, you might want to do it elsewhere- you'll go nowhere fast if you're the "punch in and punch out" type.

YouGov's syndicated products and custom research offerings are becoming recognized by the business industry nationwide. Often, when we visit clients or prospective partners, they're aware of our organization before we even step foot in the door- and our company name has cachet behind it.

Cons

Team building can get better across the organization. Global connectivity between hubs and standardization of work processes can also be improved. Turnover ratios within certain verticals should be given a harder look by senior management.

Advice to Management

Workplace happiness is important and should be curated. Also, continue to mine the lower ranks and identify stars; give them a clear path to success within the company.

May 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for taking the time to respond, we have now globalised the HR function for the business with a view to bridging the gaps between our offices. We are one YouGov and are taking the steps to... More