Young Life Reviews | Glassdoor

Young Life Reviews

2.0
Denny Rydberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great mission, great people and culture (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, and staff care about people before work (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't have balance in your life any non profit work will eat your lunch (in 6 reviews)

• The only con I would say is that it can be very time-consuming, especially if you do not set strict time limits and manage your time well (in 6 reviews)

1. "Where's the accountability"

Former Employee - Area Administrator
    Former Employee - Area Administrator

I worked at Young Life part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, fun activities, working for a great cause, flexible hours (but really you're working any of the 24 hours, not a 9-5)

Cons

To be honest, it was hard to come up with a list of pros due to my experience.
    Pay is extremely low for the amount of stress (and you don't expect a lot working in the non-profit world). There's a lack of solid structure and accountability when it came to financials. Why have the area administrator approve the AD's purchases? It's backwards to have the employee approve their boss's purchases.

We had major issues in my area that were eventually taken care of, but the main response I kept getting from Colorado was,"We'll pray on this." Very slow to actually take action. It reminded me of the joke about the guy on his roof during a flood, he ended up drowning and by the time he got to Heaven he said to God,"I was waiting for you to provide!" And God said,"I sent you a warning, a boat, AND a helicopter!"

Advice to Management

Create an accountability system for financials, the decrease in pay doesn't work when your employees know how to fudge the system. If someone is buying alcohol and video games with their pcard, there needs to be repercussions.

The board needs to have more power or be on par with the AD. If an AD has enough power to get rid of the board members, there's a problem.

2. "Year Long Intern YL Camp"

Current Employee - Year Long Intern in Weaverville, NC
    Current Employee - Year Long Intern in Weaverville, NC

I have been working at Young Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Housing, Food, Use of Camp and benefits

Cons

Paid Minimum Wage during off season and stipend in summer...was tough to live on. Plus you had to raise a portion of it.