Young Life Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 17, 2017

4.0
Denny Rydberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great mission, great people and culture (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, and staff care about people before work (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't have balance in your life any non profit work will eat your lunch (in 6 reviews)

• The only con I would say is that it can be very time-consuming, especially if you do not set strict time limits and manage your time well (in 6 reviews)

1. "Young Life Leader"

Former Intern - Student Leader in Garland, TX
    Former Intern - Student Leader in Garland, TX

I worked at Young Life as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great contact with leaders and students, awesome relationships built!

Cons

It was kinda messy but that's what you get when working with high school/college leaders.

Advice to Management

The no dating thing between leaders is a stretch and should be eliminated because it leads to leaders being secretive and then other problems begin that could al be avoided.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Manhattan, KS
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Manhattan, KS

I have been working at Young Life part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, kind people, great environment, good pay, great cause to work for, easy to fall in love with the job because of the AMAZING PEOPLE and their heart for God.

Cons

lacking in structure, behind the times in technology

Advice to Management

Honestly, due to the nature of this organization I don't know how you would fix the lack of structure. Its very relationship based so if someone needs something (wether it is in your job description or not) most everyone tries their best to help. This is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because you feel supported, that people care and that you are not alone in your struggle to accomplish any task, but a curse because when someone else needs something you are all but obligated to spend every waking minuet helping them accomplish their task, wether your on the clock or off.
    As for the technology, the home office is working on many of my major issues already, which is great! But there is still a lot to be done. This is very much an understandable issue because tech stuff is expensive and this is not what this organization is about so while it is sometimes frustrating (as with the severely outdated system used to build the m-site, or the crazy old time entry system) most of the time its an easy thing to brush off because I literally LOVE working here!

3. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Young Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the people and mission

Cons

Not a con, but they love to train, and train, and train...

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

4. "Relational place to work"

Former Employee - Student Staff Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Student Staff Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Young Life part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young Life extends its mission over into how they treat their employees--everything is very relational and personal. I loved getting to go to our area and regional meetings because it always just felt like catching up with friends and getting to work along side of them!

Cons

It is a challenge to raise your own pay--and I was only part-time! It's a neat experience to trust in the Lord with your finances, though, so I can't say it is a total con.

5. "Young Life Leader"

Former Employee - Outreach Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Outreach Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Young Life part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission of Young Life is excellent. Lots of mentorship and support for volunteers. The Young Life culture is positive and enjoyable. Opportunities to participate in trips such as Surf Trips, Summer Camps, and Winter Camps with the youth.

Cons

Full-time positions are hard to come by since the hiring process for an actual Area Director position are rigorous, not to mention the candidate must fundraise their own salary.

Advice to Management

The management does a great job meeting the needs of the volunteer leaders. Keep up the good work.

6. "Staff Person"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Young Life full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I think Young Life is hands down the best outreach organization that genuinely goes after kids for the sake of helping them. Volunteers and staff are surrounded by schools and community that want to help make a difference in the lives of young people.

Cons

Sometimes the term faith based outreach organization gets a bad rep. Some people are less open to initial conversations when they hear that we tell kids about Jesus.

Advice to Management

I'd recommend creating a solid plan for staff when they come on, to help them see and find their place in the mission long term.

7. "Student Staff Program"

Former Employee - Student Staff in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Student Staff in Eugene, OR

I worked at Young Life part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Young Life, guaranteed you're doing work that is changing lives, which not everybody gets to do in their life. Your personal growth is highly important to all your supervisors.

Cons

It can at times be difficult to determine what is the next best step in program development, but that can easily be determined with supervisors and peers.

8. "Young Life"

Current Employee - Area Director in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Area Director in Dayton, OH

Pros

Great organization, schedule is great, fun job, good people

Cons

You can work all the time and feel like nothing is getting done

9. "Great people and inedible missions"

Current Employee - Chef in Ramona, CA
    Current Employee - Chef in Ramona, CA

I have been working at Young Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of interaction with very friendly people. You will make more friends in this job than you will anywhere and you will meet people from all over the world. They also have incredible benefits

Cons

long hours, upper management is completely out of touch with rest of the mission, low pay. Prepare to have your work life and home life merge

Advice to Management

Take better care of the entry level employees. They are truly the ones who make the organization work. They are the ones out there day in and day out. Stop creating position after position in the corporate side instead give some pay raises to people who really deserve it

10. "A great company full of great people."

Current Employee - Part-time Staff in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Part-time Staff in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Young Life part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every employee is great. It's a great mission and everyone is on board with that.

Cons

Salary is small. Somewhat disorganized.

Advice to Management

Become a little more organized.