Young & Rubicam Reviews | Glassdoor

Young & Rubicam Reviews

Updated April 13, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Exposure to other departments at Y&R (in 20 reviews)

• Good atmosphere, very nice people and fun culture (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Y&R is more like the clients b*tch than anything (in 18 reviews)

• Long hours will cramp your lifestyle (in 11 reviews)

1. "Best agency I've ever worked at"

Former Employee - Integrated Media Planner in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Integrated Media Planner in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Young & Rubicam (Less than a year)

Pros

I made some of my closest friends at this agency. The people will go above and beyond to help each other if there is a problem—which there RARELY is because Y&R has really strong inter-department communication and they hire smart people. Office at 3CC is beautiful with outdoor terraces. Cafe is BOMB and has salad 3x a week, pizza on Wednesdays, etc.

Cons

Notoriously low paying, half my salary went to the cafe. It would also be to their benefit to become more digitally-savvy.

Advice to Management

The price tag associated with working with Y&R seems to deter a lot of potential clients. Maybe tweak your pricing for your services and you'll attract more new business.

2. "AE | AAE | Intern"

Former Employee - Account Services in Venice, CA
    Former Employee - Account Services in Venice, CA

I worked at Young & Rubicam (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Good location. Reasonable account and creative resources for client workload.

Cons

Not a ton of new biz coming back in 2010/2011, so advancement and/or movement, at the time, was tough.

3. "Collaborative Place to work"

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY

Pros

The agency functions as a true team and collaborates well with other WPP partners across LOBs. It is an environment that encourages employee growth.

Cons

Need to work to hire more creatives, they value good creative so it takes some additional time--both pro and con to this.

"Y&R sucks!"

Former Employee - Creative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Creative in Miami, FL

I worked at Young & Rubicam (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits, perks and view are good. Very nice people work there. The gym and the 5k run are good too.

Cons

Everything else. Lack of management. The president thinks like a car seller. Old school thinking. A lot of Blah Blah Blah. No evaluations. No communication. The worst place I've ever worked in my whole career. HR doesn't help.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter that you change the people if you don't change the heads. You are a manager. You have to act like one.

"Great Starter and "Retirement" Agency"

Former Employee - Brand Planner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Brand Planner in New York, NY

I worked at Young & Rubicam full-time

Pros

They really train you for what you need to know. You get your basics down pat... understand how to do everything from a client brief through the final measurement and optimizations of a campaign. It's like a family and has a great, accessible global network with pretty good leadership.

Cons

It's not going to "rock your world". Don't come here if you want to create ground breaking ideas or have the word "innovation" in mind. It's not the clients the agency gets and the clients aren't ever pushed to think like that. Y&R is more like the clients b*tch than anything. Also not good for movement and promotions. They tend to let the good people go.

Advice to Management

Inspire your teams and have them collaborate more. Dare them.

"SVP, Group Planning Director"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President, Group Planning Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Young & Rubicam full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked with many great people across the WPP network.

Cons

Difficult to get a raise, and WPP does not let you interview across WPP agencies to get a new job if you are currently at a WPP agency

Advice to Management

Remove restriction of cross-agency job search

"Wish I Could Give a Better Review"

Current Employee - Executive Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Young & Rubicam full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Y&R has a proud heritage and prides itself on doing things the right way. Its philosophy seems to be grounded in BrandAssetValuator, Y&R's proprietary study of brand equity. The people are very nice and it's usually a very mild-mannered and nice culture. The new offices at 3 Columbus Circle are beautiful.

Cons

Completely open office for everyone including CEO makes it hard to get work done. Y&R's reputation is blah at best, tarnished at worst. The stellar talent that was here years ago has mostly moved on. Basing everything in BAV makes our strategic offering formulaic and boring. For some reason, there are no resources to get even major client projects done. Creative work is just ok -- but mostly because of our moribund client base (e.g., Dell, Xerox.) Agency has a hard time winning new business so growth and opportunities are limited. I'm in senior management and haven't had a bonus since 2012.

Advice to Management

Wake up to the fact that Y&R's reputation needs to be revitalized. Stop wasting resources on fancy parties and Cannes and a huge staff for the CEO -- and hire some people to actually get client work done.

9. "not for the long term"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Young & Rubicam (More than a year)

Pros

For a large agency, it doesn't feel that way. I've really enjoyed working with just about everyone on my team - I consider most of them friends in addition to coworkers, and most people are friendly, helpful, and supportive. Casual attire, pretty decent vacation allocations, good name on the resume/access to the WPP network. Work-life balance is mostly reasonable.

Cons

Feels very "stuck in the mud." Leadership is constantly pushing themes like growth and innovation, but won't provide the proper incentives, from compensation rewards, promotion potential, and more up-to-date computers/technology (I've been at 3 agencies throughout my career and it is absolutely ridiculous how stingy Y&R is in comparison to the other two, even on necessities - gotta drive that WPP stock price up!). Laughable and uninspiring. I feel like upper management has a very narrow focus and can't see the bigger picture; total disconnect from junior and mid-level employees. Also, I've encountered multiple EVP/SVPs where I really question how they got to that level or what day-to-day function they even have. I've been at the company for nearly a year and half and have yet to see anyone in my department receive any kind of promotion.

Advice to Management

The amount of turnover is really holding you back. Retain good talent, and not just had the SVP/EVP level - I've had so many fantastic colleagues leave due to lack of pay and growth opportunities. Recognize that your healthcare client teams have specialized regulatory knowledge and pay them more of a premium for the extra work that goes in to putting out high-quality work that also meets FDA approval - many other agencies do. Finally, you really, really need to place a high priority on building up the agency's digital clients and capabilities. Failing to do this will only continue to hurt you.

10. "Executive Assistant to CEO"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Juan, PR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Juan, PR

Pros

Good company, great benefits & environment. Very human management.

Cons

Don't have a salary reviews policy.

11. "Corporate Agency Feeling with great benefits"

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Young & Rubicam full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to have a life after work

Cons

Salaries are low. No annual increase or reviews.